Crowne Plaza Springfield
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$68
$98
  • Pool
$108
  • Pool
Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield(Springfield)(Great Value!)
$60
All reviewsregistration desktop floorsmokey boneslarge bathroomconference centerking bedparking lotupon checknice stayindoor poolconventionsaunahootersbanquetpillowsplugsstarbucks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Average Crown Plaza with great customer service. I was in town for business and was very pleased with the staff. Located outside of downtown Springfield the hotel is right off the expressway. Plenty of restaurants near the hotel. The bar is very cozy and the bartender friendly. Room was clean, bed was comfortable and the internet was free (very slow though) being a Priority Club membership. I would stay here again when in Springfield.

Room Tip: Ask for a window facing the capitol building. Other view is of huge ugly smoke stacks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you noting our great customer service. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff, bar and grill, and clean rooms. I apologize if our internet was running slow during your visit. I will address with our IT team to ensure our equipment is functioning properly. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us feedback.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

In short, avoid this hotel at all costs. For more information, read on:

I have just concluded a week-long stay at this Crowne Plaza in Springfield. I have never posted a complaint online before in my life (in other words, I am not a chronic complainer) but my experience with this hotel was so awful that I feel compelled to share it with anyone who is interested. I brought my wife and two young boys to Springfield for Easter week to visit my ailing mother. I grew up in Springfield and am sorry to report it was the single worst experience I have ever had at a hotel.

The trouble began when I checked in and discovered that the hotel chain had somehow charged me and my family TWICE for the same room. (The reservation center used both my personal credit card and a business card that I happened to have on-file with their membership rewards program.)

The excess charge was more than $1,300. I then had to spend many hours over the rest of the week trying to dispute the over-charge. (It still hasn’t been resolved.) The Springfield staff tried to blame it on “Central Booking” and, of course, “Central Booking” tried to blame the Springfield Crowne Plaza. The Springfield staff left me on my own in dealing with the Kafka-esque hotel bureaucracy in far-away call centers. The general unwillingness of the local staff to help me and my family was exacerbating in the extreme. But the multiple calls with a far-off “Central Booking” staff were even more maddening.

Throughout the ordeal, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about the recent foreclsoure of the Springfield Crowne Plaza, their related chain Intercontinental Hotels, the management company Crescent Hotel and Resorts and a local property management called IPROCSPRINGFIELD LLC. If I had known about the foreclosure and the multiple, unaccountable players involved in operating the Springfield Crowne Plaza, I would have steered far clear. I certainly won’t be returning.

And, as soon as I get home, I’m canceling my membership in Intercontinental’s “Priority Club.” If I experienced what “Preferred” customers get, then I would hate to see what the average guest gets.

I travel a lot for my work. I’ve built up some tolerance for minor hotel mistakes. But some chains—Marriott and Hilton hotels being my personal favorites—always fix problems with a minimum of fuss and an enduring appreciation for my business. The Springfield Crowne Plaza and the related Intercontinental Hotel Group didn’t once do anything in this same spirit. I encountered nothing but awful service.

I am an attorney and thought about filing a lawsuit -- $1,300 is still a lot to my family—but life is too short. However, I do think I should warn my friends and former neighbors of this terrible experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank WDC-Traveller89
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

I apologize for the billing issues you experienced during your stay. I am familiar with this situation and I am truly sorry for the challenges you had during your visit with us. Please note that we did not charge the same reservation twice as two reservations were created for the same time period and made several days apart.

We offer an Advance Purchase rate which allows our guests to receive a discount for the cost of the room. In return for the discounted rate, we ask our guests that payment be made prior to the arrival date and a refund is not available. I apologize if you felt the staff was not helpful in resolving this issue. I assure you this was not our intention. We are happy to offer discounted rates to our guests, but we do ask that the guidelines for these rates be followed.

As we have recently went through a property management change to Crescent Hotels and Resorts, this would have no impact on the specific issue you experienced. The change noted in your review occurred in July of 2012, and would not have any impact on rates offered in March of 2013.

Again, I apologize that you did not have a more enjoyable experience during your time with us.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I can't compare this to other lodging in Springfield, since I'm not a regular in the town. However, it had most of the prerequisites I look for in a hotel - a comfortable room, good temperature control, and a decent shower. I did have issues with charging for Internet - in this day and time, it still amazes me that some hotels still charge. However, there is free wi-fi in a very spacious lobby with lots of cozy working locations (and power). Good place for a meeting, which is why we were here. And the food at the restaurant, both breakfast and lunch, wasn't overly pricey and was very good. And our waitress was a real hoot, friendly and helpful. It is also within (a bit long) walking distance of major chain restaurants. Not what I would call a romantic place to stay, but on business it worked well.

Room Tip: High floor, away from the elevator is my recommendation.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay. We appreciate the kind words you had in regards to our hotel. I will be happy to share your comments with our restaurant. As we do charge a fee for internet, we do offer complimentary wifi to all our Priority Club members. This is a complimentary loyalty program with IHG and will never cost anything to be a member. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times over the past five years, each time thinking that when I returned, the hotel will have updated its rooms and accommodations. No such luck. Dated carpet and fixtures in the rooms just leave me feeling less and less likely that I will return. I will say that the staff is generally friendly and helpful but, overall, for the price, they just keep coming up a bit short in my book.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I would like to thank you for continuing to stay with us over the past years. We are in the process of making updates to our hotel. We have recently completed renovated our fitness center and installed brand new equipment. In addition, we received our new bed linen this week, and we will begin installing this coming week. We recognize that some updates need to be made, and we are in the process of making that happen. Thank you again for taking time to provide your feedback.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel was...ok. The front desk personnel were friendly, but the hotel itself had many problems. The computer crashed and created delays (backup with registration) and issues with reservations (which is probably why the front desk didn't answer the phone when calling from the room). There is no free wi fi unless you are a priority club member. The bathrooms were a nice size, but there was no hot water that evening or next morning (not even luke warm). The hotel did give us a 15% credit (if you called) because of the cold water. The rooms were clean, but the beds were not very comfortable. My husband and I just fit but couldn't move or we would fall off (they should upgrade to queens). Additionally, the sheets were so stiff they actually made crunch noises when moving. We did like the lobby area which accommodated our group socializing and having a bar in the hotel was nice. We didn't eat at the restaurant, when we found out there was no free breakfast, we brought our own food. The kids enjoyed the pool area on the top floor. It has a great outdoor balcony that would be nice in warmer weather.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. I am very familiar with the details of our computer and hot water issues. We were able to correct both by the end of the weekend, but I am sorry we were not able to prevent the issue from happening. In regards to our bedding, we have recently purchased new sheets which is why they seem stiff. We hope that our guests will be able to enjoy the higher quality bedding we purchased.

Thank you for the positive feedback. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our cleanliness, larger bathrooms, and lobby, pool, and rooftop areas.