“2nd Chance”

Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Aurora, Illinois
“2nd Chance”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We've visited the Crowne Plaza annually for a bluegrass festival held there, for quite a few years. Until this year, I haven't been that impressed, but wow, this year . . the check in . . Nikki, so friendly and accommodating. The gentleman who staffed the snack bar, friendly, outgoing . . and the hotel offered complimentary coffee after the snack bar closed. The server in the dinning room, who helped me with cream . . . also so friendly. The rooms were clean, neat, good-sized bathrooms . . all in all, our stay was so very pleasant.
There were rumors circulating that a new owner might be taking over the hotel. If so, I'm hoping the same staff will still be with the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ljtheodore1122
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for the great review! I truly enjoy reading the reviews that provide feedback on our guest service. Nikki is a new member of our team, and as you have experienced, she provides an excellent level of customer service. I have also passed on your review to our Food and Beverage Director so our restaurant staff is recognized as well. Thank you for taking the time compliment the hotel and its staff. We hope you will be back next year for our 2013 festival.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is in such a great location, literally right off the highway. It makes it easy to get to any major area, took about 10 mins to get to the Capital from here. The front desk staff and all staff dealt with were very helpful and polite. Rooms were very nice. The bed was very cozy. Bathrooms were a great size. Each day if you decided to be "green" you could put out a door hang tag and then you wouldnt get more towels, and for doing this they give you a $5 voucher to use in the hotel. I thought that was very nice and encouraged people to not use a ton of towels. The pool/hot tub area was nice! The pool was like bath water which was awesome! Right by the pool there is an outdoor seating area that is really just used for hanging out (or at least while we were there thats all it was) and you can see for miles (its on the 14th floor) including the Capital Building. There were only two negatives...one was it seemed like everytime I door closed too hard the entire room shook, it startled me awake often. So maybe if they could put a tension system on the doors to make sure they dont slam? and secondly the coffee stand on the second floor had an employee that was not at all confident or efficient. Which resulted in long lines and not very good drinks. But other then those small details it was a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dakota144
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for the great review. I am pleased to read you were able to provide so much positive feedback about your stay. We truly appreciate you taking the time to be so detailed in your review. I will address the two concerns you provided with the appropriate managers, and I am certain we can find a solution to both of them. Thank you again for proving your positive review!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for my anniversary with my husband and sons. Being a new mom and breast feeding and completely sleep deprived, I left my wedding rings and anniversary rings behind which we didn't notice till we were almost back in St. Louis. The value of which totalled around $10,000. The maid found them and turned them in. My husband and I were ready to send a reward. They were irreplacable and since my husband has been out of work several times and I lost my job about 2 1/2 years ago, we cannot afford to replace them. Not to mention my husband designed the wedding set. My husband was going to drive back that night to get them and they said no, that they would mail them. Then, a control freak at the head of-originally he told us security but then changed the title on our answering machine to head of shipping and receiving-delayed the shipment saying he wanted proof of value so he could insure them before he mailed them back to us. He was not available by phone on that Friday so this went over the weekend. Over that weekend, they were stolen out of his office. The GM called and the owner of the hotel property management company called me and said this has never happened before in their 30 years in the industry and they would do what ever they could to make this right. They turned it into their insurance who is only willing to give us $2000. Its disgusting. I have been so depressed this has ruined me. Its disgusting that the multimillionaires who owned this property and those who now manage this property are not willing to do whats right in this situation. I am devastated.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Mary L,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 15 days and everyday it was clean friendly and as you would expect , staff friendly and help full , breakfast a little disapointted due to price( could be included for guests) but good options outside hotel ( IHOP).nice pool and gym ( more equipment running machines would be good) but all rou d excellent stay.

• Stayed July 2012
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Very simple review, but I like it. Thank you for your complements about the staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Glad to read you had an excellent stay, and hope if you make it back to Springfield we can count on your reservation.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

When we first arrived her I was impressed about how big the building was and the entry. The first and second floor are really nice and clean. As soon as we got to our room, it was like I was in a different hotel. Our bathroom door would not shut and when it did it stuck to the door jam and you literally have to put your body into it to open it up. The toliet is extremely noisy. Every tile you flash is makes a horrible noise that lasts till the bowl fills. There were some empty glasses sitting in the hallway in front of our door when we arrived and sat there in the hallway for over a day. Noisy doors. So everytime anyone left their room at night it made a loud bang. They said they had a breakfast buffet, went down there, nothing. For the price I paid I would of rather stayed at the drury inn just down the street. I have stayed there before and they are cheaper and they had a free happy hour and breakfast. I will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize you had so many issues with your sleeping room. I have made our Chief Engineer aware of your review, and we will make sure our guests do not have this same issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope you would reconsider the Crowne Plaza on your next trip to Springfield.
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently attended a conference and had an overnight stay at this facility. The conference price for the room was excellent. The room featured a large flat screen television and updated bathroom with a nice shower. Speedy elevators were a nice perk too. I spent some time in the bar and found the drinks to be reasonably priced, and James, the bartender friendly and accommodating. He even found my party some tasty desserts. The check-in staff proved to be efficient and very polite. My party felt the breakfast prices in the restaurant were overpriced and the service slow for a business clientele, but I enjoyed the homemade almond granola even if I did pay almost $10 for it. I'm now looking forward to my return trip in November.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 4catcouple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the detail you provided describing our hotel. We do not usually see many compliments for our speedy elevators, but I am a fan of the smaller things too. Also, I appreciate you complementing James from our bar and grill. The staff truly enjoys being recognized individually and by name. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return in November!
Iowa
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First let me say I did not sleep here...my family did and I stayed next door at the Holiday Inn Express, but visited this property a lot. So I am leaving this on behalf of my family that doesn't use a computer! HAHA

My parents had a king room, they said the bed was comfy, the room was clean, but very average. The breakfast Sunday am was great. Their wedding rate of $106/night was the most they said they would pay for this room however.

My cousin (THE BRIDE) was staying in an "executive suite" on the 12th floor. I will say things happen and she/we understand that, so the 5" of rain received can cause things to happen. She had to change rooms 6 times to get a room with no problems. 2 rooms had rain damage (one with a falling ceiling), 2 rooms the window/air conditioner leaked all over, 1 room was a smoking room when she requested non smoking (she didn't want her dress to smell!), finally the 6th room was good. We all had our hair done in the 5th room so I saw that one first hand. This was a room where the air conditioner leaked the entire wedding night for them. The carpet was also very stained in this room. I am not sure of the price she was paying for this room but I am sure from the online prices I've seen it wasn't cheap. I feel carpet in those rooms especially should be maintained to the highest level since they are the highest priced. BUT the room was spacious with 2 bathrooms, one with a HUUUUUGE whirlpool, very nice. She also commented the beds were comfy.

I heard from other guests staying there as well the breakfast was great. No one I talked to used the pool but I did hear it was on the 14th floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KGunk
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for writing your review. I am very surprised to read you had so many issues with our suites. I apologize this happened as it is certainly not the experience we want any of our guest to have. I assure you I will be following up with our engineers to ensure we have the rooms operating properly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thank you for your kind words about the rooms, beds, and the breakfast. I am pleased to read your family did enjoy a good night’s sleep. Thank you again for writing your review.