“To the Hilt(on) in Springfield”

Wyndham Springfield City Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The Hilton in Springfield is the best deal in town. It's right downtown, convenient to the state capitol sites, the farmer's market, Amtrak, the Convention Center and the better restaurants in Springfield. For literally a few more dollars than the Red Roof Inn, we got the quality and service of Hilton - plus a coupon for the breakfast buffet for free, which more than offset the minor price difference. Many of the other chain motels in Springfield were priced slightly higher - and they are not the Hilton! As for parking, etc., the hotel web site indicates that there is a fee for parking, but on the weekend and evenings from 5 PM until 8 AM you can park for free on the street.

The in room air conditioning unit is very loud, and we turned it off while sleeping. (It's still a very nice hotel, despite that noisy unit.) My husband loved it too, and felt it was certainly worth paying a little extra for such an upgrade in accommodations over the other properties available in Springfield. I have stayed at many of the bargain and family oriented motel chains there in the past. In the future, I will only try the Hilton when in town.

Regarding Hilton in general, the reservation line for Hilton was a pain. Despite dialing the local Springfield number, I was repeatedly transferred and then cut off. When I finally called back enough times to get to an actual reservation clerk, that person was not local and could not sufficiently explain the hotel amenities such as the parking situation and the hotel wide free wireless. As a result of that frustration, I booked on Orbitz instead of directly with Hilton, but had no issues or problems at all at the property itself. The staff members at the actual hotel are great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed August 21, 2009

This hotel is located downtown and is within walking distance of many restaurants and the convention center. As for parking, you can park on the street or in the municiple garage which is attached to the hotel ($5 to park, $8 if you want to come and go). We were greeted by friendly front desk staff and quickly taken care of. The hotel has 30+ floors, our room was on the 14th.

The room was updated and clean. Our room did not have a balcony and it appeared none of the other rooms did either. I was told the higher floors of the hotel did sway a little bit when there was a good wind. We didn't feel anything on the 14th floor.

I totally agree with other guests who complain about the air conditioners being too loud.. It was so loud and annoying I placed our luggage over most of the grate to quiet it some. The hotel management seriously needs to look into this matter. It is bad enough that we would not stay here again because of it. On the plus side, the beds were very comfortable. The room was quiet (except he AC) and the staff was friendly and helpful. Plenty of hot water in the shower, but poor water pressure.

The restaurant/bar on top of the hotel is closed apparently due to a lack of customers. There was a Bennigans and Starbucks in the lobby area. The hotel also had a breakfast buffet which was about $15 per person. I usually can't eat near that amount of food to make it worth it so we went off the property to get breakfast.

The pool and workout area is in the basement. The kids liked the pool but I thought it was kind of dark. The workout room looked like it was was decent and had a tv in it.

Nothing flashy at this hotel. Overall our stay was good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2009

My car broke down late evening on August 12. I called to cancel my reservation. Since I called after 4pm, the clerk Heidi said I need to speak to the accounts clerk Melony the next morning for a refund. I called Melony and she wasn't friendly at all. She said I need to produce a repair receipt from the night before. I told her I didn't have my car looked at till the following morning. She said this was unacceptable and wouldn't accept a receipt from the following day. When I asked to speak to a manager, she said the only person was the owner and he doesn't deal with petty complaints. She also offered Guest Assistance but told me I'd be referred back to her. So much for being a Hilton Honors member.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Jeff A
Reviewed August 12, 2009

By far one of the best properties in Springfield. Very centrally located within walking of the museums and capital facilities. Rooms are comfortable and have a great view of the surrounding area, though they are oddly shaped based upon the building design. What I like best here is that the staff is very welcoming of guests and it shows. .

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2009

There are good and not-so-good things about this place. The room itself is updated - there is a flat screen tv and lately that seems to be the final update. However, the person who commented earlier on the air conditioner's noise is spot on. I often settled for a warmer temperature than listen to that thing. It's bound to be a huge expense to upgrade, though. The other thing that needs touching up is the common area --- the elevator shows rough use.
Perhaps the front desk could give you guidance when you check in as to whether rooms opposite the train tracks are any quieter. The train must blow its whistle due to being in a downtown area and that, too, was very loud but not the hotel's fault.
My experience with the staff was great. They could not have been friendlier at check-in.
My biggest beef was with the breakfast policy. When I pay that much to stay in a hotel I do not expect to be asked to pay for my breakfast up front like I'm at an Old Country Buffet. That made me walk down the street to find another place to eat. It is hard to imagine they've been scammed enough to warrant treating Hilton guests that way.
This room was far, far nicer than the room I visited across the street at the Abraham Lincoln hotel. Their ground floor is impressive but the room was dark and very dated.
The Hilton is well located for a wide variety of restaurants, the convention center, the Presidential library and museum and --- as a bonus --- Saturday morning's Farmer's Market.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I recently traveled to Springfield to celebrate our anniversary. This was our second stay at this hotel, and we really enjoyed it. The folks working in the hotel were nice, the room was clean, and we had no issues/problems with the service.

The hotel is within walking distance of all sorts of Abraham Lincoln-related places, which we visited a year or two back when we had the kids with us. This time around it was just the two of us and we skipped the Lincoln stuff and instead had a nice dinner and enjoyed live Celtic music (and bagpipers!) at a tavern down the street.

Again, we've stayed here twice and had no problems or issues either time. Thumbs up from me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I stayed here for a fellowship that was taking place at the nearby (and amazing) Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. The company sponsoring the fellowship paid for my room, but if I was paying I would have gone to a different hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and updated...except the AC. While I was there the heat index was about 100-105 for the whole week. The hotel asks that you keep the AC on "auto" which means that it turns on and off with a loud clank every 10-12 minutes and runs for about 3-4 minutes. It was horrible. I had earplugs in and I still couldn't sleep. I figured out to turn the AC to "on" and that helped, as the change from air to AC isn't as loud, but still exists. I still needed by ear plugs, but at least I could sleep. I am a light sleeper, but this really needs to be fixed.

Something else to keep in mind, the building moves in high winds. I was on the 24th floor and had great views of the city and lanscape, but the swaying and sound of the building moving was a bit strange.

Another thing, if you like variety in your "hotel" breakfast this is a pretty good one. They offered great fresh fruit, hot foods, breads, cereals and a "make your own" waffle. This was a very good breakfast buffet.

I would not recommend this until I know the AC thing has been changed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business