“Mixed reviews”

Wyndham Springfield City Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 2, 2009

There are good and not-so-good things about this place. The room itself is updated - there is a flat screen tv and lately that seems to be the final update. However, the person who commented earlier on the air conditioner's noise is spot on. I often settled for a warmer temperature than listen to that thing. It's bound to be a huge expense to upgrade, though. The other thing that needs touching up is the common area --- the elevator shows rough use.
Perhaps the front desk could give you guidance when you check in as to whether rooms opposite the train tracks are any quieter. The train must blow its whistle due to being in a downtown area and that, too, was very loud but not the hotel's fault.
My experience with the staff was great. They could not have been friendlier at check-in.
My biggest beef was with the breakfast policy. When I pay that much to stay in a hotel I do not expect to be asked to pay for my breakfast up front like I'm at an Old Country Buffet. That made me walk down the street to find another place to eat. It is hard to imagine they've been scammed enough to warrant treating Hilton guests that way.
This room was far, far nicer than the room I visited across the street at the Abraham Lincoln hotel. Their ground floor is impressive but the room was dark and very dated.
The Hilton is well located for a wide variety of restaurants, the convention center, the Presidential library and museum and --- as a bonus --- Saturday morning's Farmer's Market.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I recently traveled to Springfield to celebrate our anniversary. This was our second stay at this hotel, and we really enjoyed it. The folks working in the hotel were nice, the room was clean, and we had no issues/problems with the service.

The hotel is within walking distance of all sorts of Abraham Lincoln-related places, which we visited a year or two back when we had the kids with us. This time around it was just the two of us and we skipped the Lincoln stuff and instead had a nice dinner and enjoyed live Celtic music (and bagpipers!) at a tavern down the street.

Again, we've stayed here twice and had no problems or issues either time. Thumbs up from me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I stayed here for a fellowship that was taking place at the nearby (and amazing) Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. The company sponsoring the fellowship paid for my room, but if I was paying I would have gone to a different hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and updated...except the AC. While I was there the heat index was about 100-105 for the whole week. The hotel asks that you keep the AC on "auto" which means that it turns on and off with a loud clank every 10-12 minutes and runs for about 3-4 minutes. It was horrible. I had earplugs in and I still couldn't sleep. I figured out to turn the AC to "on" and that helped, as the change from air to AC isn't as loud, but still exists. I still needed by ear plugs, but at least I could sleep. I am a light sleeper, but this really needs to be fixed.

Something else to keep in mind, the building moves in high winds. I was on the 24th floor and had great views of the city and lanscape, but the swaying and sound of the building moving was a bit strange.

Another thing, if you like variety in your "hotel" breakfast this is a pretty good one. They offered great fresh fruit, hot foods, breads, cereals and a "make your own" waffle. This was a very good breakfast buffet.

I would not recommend this until I know the AC thing has been changed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AndreaRae13
Reviewed June 8, 2009

If your going to see all the Lincoln things available in the area this is a great place to stay because of its location. For a Hilton I'd expect free parking and a staff that could answer simple questions - they don't and can't !
Breakfast for two: $26, and nothing special.
The bed and pillows are really great and the room appeared to be clean.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2009

The location is good. Room is clean and comfortable. Lobby and front desk service is good. But the drawbacks are, no parking(you have to park in the municipal lot paying $8/day), neither complimentary breakfast nor in-room wireless internet( you have to pay $10/day extra for that).

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I traveled to Springfield for my graduation from University of Illinois. My entire family stayed at the Hilton, based on my research and the fact that they trust my opinion as a picky traveler.

The Hilton was a pleasant surprise. I typically stay at luxury boutique hotels, but this HIlton was nicer than expected. When I travel to small cities, the hotels are usually dated, but offer good small town service.

The hotel room was obviously renovated recently. Everything was in good shape. There was a flat screen television and nice towels. The linen is important to me.

If you want fine dining, you are out of luck. The hotel offered a Bennigan's restaurant, which makes sense due to the market it serves. I had no idea that the graduation was directly across the street.

I must note that housekeeping at this hotel is excellent and I enjoyed the Lavazza coffee in the guestroom. Some hotels use cheap coffee, so this was a surprise.

The location was also perfect for sightseeing. I took my family to the Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, which was only two blocks away. We also went to Lincoln's home, which was three blocks away. The old state capitol was two blocks away....and more was close by. There was a great art festival that weekend, so my family enjoyed every moment.

There was a Starbucks in the hotel, so I was able to grab a coffee and scone each day. That did the trick each day.

The front desk staff was pleasant and the bellman was excellent. I did not realize that the hotel offered shuttle service, so I paid for a cab to the hotel. It was $10, so not really a big deal. On the return trip to the airport, I used the hotel shuttle service. I was the only guest on the shuttle, so I was able to relax and enjoy the ride through town.

Nice job Hilton! You have a winner in this location. It takes a lot to make my mother happy and boy was she ever!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I have stayed numerous times at the Springfield Hilton and it has quickly become the only place that I choose to stay when I am in Springfield, IL for business or pleasure. Located downtown near the area's Lincoln sites and the Old State Capitol, the Hilton towers over the rest of the city. It is a 31 story round tower and it has been a Hilton for many years. For a few years it was getting run down, but recent renovations and improved amenities in the rooms make it a great place to stay.

One of the reasons I like the this hotel so much is because of the benefits its architecture offers. Because the hotel is cylindrical, there are no long hallways for kids to run in. Also, as a hotel built over 30 years ago, the walls are thicker and more sound proof. I've never even heard a toilet flush in the room next door to mine. That being said, there are some problems that come with the hotel's architectural design. During this last visit there were some incredibly high winds. The hotel is designed to sway in high winds and as a result, you can hear the hotel's steel infrastructure creaking. When I first arrived, the creaking in my room was VERY loud. I contacted the front desk and they explained the problem with the winds, but also suggested that the sound might be a bit less on a higher floor and one that faced in a different direction. One of the front desk workers took me up to the 10th floor (from the 6th) and showed me a room on the opposite side of the hotel. Though the creaking could still be heard it was no where near as frequent or as loud. They sent a bellman up to help me move my bags. I cannot say enough about the very friendly and professional way that they handled the entire situation. A little package of Tylenol PM from the hotel gift shop and I slept great!

They also made sure that my stay was counted on my Hilton Honors program, which I had just signed up for. Since my last stay, the hotel has added a Bennigans restaurant and my meal there was good, the service was fast and friendly. There used to be a restaurant on the hotel's 31st floor but apparently there is no longer. I wonder what happened there.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business