“Go Elsewhere”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Chicago, IL
“Go Elsewhere”
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I booked this hotel because I was attending a seminar there and we got a discount rate. I should have booked elsewhere and listened to the others who had problems here.

I was in room 1411, a king, non-smoking room. The room was rather small for the rack rate and I would have been upset had I paid the rack rate for the room. The windows were pretty dirty and looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in years. The bed was REALLY comfortable with about 6-8 pillows, which was nice. The bathroom had a good supply of towels/facecloths.

No free wireless from the rooms, but I was able to get free wireless practically everyplace else in the hotel.

The creaking noise that others have mentioned was most definently there in my room. I had to turn on the TV and turn the volume up VERY loud just to get to sleep. The next morning I turned off the tv and heard my neighbors on both sides of me with their tv's up just as loud. I walked outside and found that most of the floor had the same idea.

The train didn't bother me a bit as the creaking noise was louder than the trian was.

Even though I am a HHonors member, I was NEVER offered valet parking. In fact, I wasn't even offered directions to the parking garage after letting the front desk clerk know that I needed to park.

The buffett breakfast was ok, but I should have driven myself to Denny's or IHOP and saved a few bucks. What the Hilton offered wasn't worth the 14.00 tab they charged per person. The service in the buffett restaurant was terrible. I was given one serving of orange juice and the waiter kept passing my table with orange juice in hand, looking at my empty glass and doing nothing about it. I decided to serve myself more orange juice and left NO tip.

On my last day, a youth convention checked in and things REALLY took a nose dive. There were kids of all ages running around totally unsupervised.....blocking the passageways, yelling, playing on the elevators, disconnecting the equipment in the business center because they couldn't get on the internet for free, playing "tag" all over the place, rushing the elevators to get on rather than letting those who needed to get off do so first.

It was a nighmare when they arrived. I did notify the front desk staff that the kids were unplugging the wires to the machines and computers in the business center and they called security right away. I was just glad to be checking OUT at that point.

On a previous trip I stayed at the Crown Plaza for a seminar and I will return there on future visits as it is not overrun with kids/families who want to be within walking distance of the Lincoln sites.

The Crown Plaza is comparably priced, but a MUCH newer and nicer facility.

• Liked — The bed was REALLY comfortable
  • Disliked — The walls creaked all day and night and no free internet access in rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Mount Vernon, Illinois
Reviewed April 26, 2008

First of all, I did not stay here. I stayed at the Comfort Suites for $97.00 incl. tax and had a whirlpool bathtub. Awesome! So why am I writing this review? I attended a conference here and the food was outstanding! BBQ chicken that didn't seem like rubber, green beans not too well done, roasted potatoes, salad, roll, tiramisu for dessert.

It is the best conference luncheon I have ever had!

Stayed April 2008
anahein
Reviewed April 12, 2008

bed hard and small breakfast limited and disgusting room small and does not even have a mini fridge more like hilton motel

• Stayed April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Aberdeen, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Thrusting into the Prairie sky, the Springfield Hilton is hard to miss in downtown Springfield. It's close to the new Lincoln Museum and Library, but that's the only recommendation I can give. Our room, on the 15th floor, had tissue-thin walls and pipes that groaned and rattled all night long. There is room service available, but just down the block is Saputo's, a family-owned Italian restaurant that I recommend.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor quality for the price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2008

A group of us, 4 friends and their daughters-11 in all, booked 3 rooms for a night over Spring Break. We visited the Lincoln sites in and around the area. We chose this hotel because we were travelling with kids (ages 8-12) and wanted a hotel with a pool and one with a good reputation.

When we first arrived there, everything was fine. Before dinner we decided to take the kids down to the pool. As you walked down the hall to the pool, the fumes from the chlorine hit you. Our kids, who usually will swim until they are dragged out of the pool, could only take it for about 15-30 minutes. The chlorine fumes were so bad that one member of our party, who wasn't even in the pool, had tears running out of her reddened eyes. Children were coughing as the fumes hit their lungs. We brought this up to the front desk and were told that something would be done about it. Later, as we walked down to dinner, we checked the pool again and it was the same, if not worse. We then asked for the manager, who informed us that it was the first he had heard about it. While we were at the desk another guest was also complaining about it. The manager acted as if we were bothering him.

Next, there is no Jazz Martini Bar and Italian Restaurant on the 30th floor as stated on the website. When asked about this, the manager stated that this was not listed on the website anymore. We told him that it was as of that morning.

We never received an apology for the condition of the pool either. My room apparently had a leak in a window and it whistled all night long.
I have contacted Hilton Corp. but have not received a response one week later. I will not stay at this hotel again and will think twice about chosing a hotel based on it's brand.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Despite the negative reviews, I decided to stay at this hotel because the location is unbeatable. I requested a room with 2 double beds, a non-smoking room, and a high floor. The hotel honored all of those requests, and we received a room on the 23rd floor, featuring a wonderful view of downtown Springfield. We were even able to take pictures of the Capitol. The room itself was really nice. It was obviously recently renovated, and looked very modern and fresh. The beds were extremely comfortable, and it was for the most part very clean. The room and bathroom were both well-lit. Upon arrival, the toilet wouldn't flush properly. I called the front desk and maintenance was up to the room in less than five minutes and fixed it promptly. The TV worked fine and offered numerous channels. The room had plently of space, which was nice. The bathroom was really nice, and the shower was awesome! We had great water pressure. The elevators were nice and fast, which was a plus!

If you plan to see the Lincoln sites or do other things in Downtwon Springfield, I highly recommend staying here. The Lioncoln museum, Lincoln home, and numerous shops and restaurants are within walking distance of the hotel. Parking is relatively cheap. If you can live without in/out priveleges, it's $5.50 a day, but you can have in/out for $7.00 per day (which is what our family did.) There were always plently of parking spaces available in the ramp.

For each night you stay, you receive two breakfast buffet vouchers. The breakfast was so/so, but better than the standard continental breakfasts. The waitstaff was very nice though, and they seemed to replenish items pretty quickly once they ran out. They have a variety of things, such as french toast, eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, toast, cereal, etc.

The pool and fitness center were both nice. While the pool isn't huge, we all enjoyed swimming in it. It was set at a nice, warm temperature. The fitness center has been recently renovated, and has lots of high-line fitness equipment. The staff as a whole was friendly. I wouldn't say the people at the front desk were overly polite, but I certainly wouldn't say they were rude either. The people at the information/bell hop station were VERY friendly and offered directions and tips for getting around the city.

My only one true disappointment was that both the Italian restauarant and the jazz club bar on the 30th floor appear to be closed. There is however, a restaurant and Starbucks by the lobby. I would imagine they'll open something new on the 30th floor soon.

All in all, I strongly recommend this hotel. We will be staying at the Hilton whenever we stay in Springfield. I honestly don't understand all of these negative reviews!

PS: The Train noise issue: if you are an extremely light sleeper, than I recommend packing a pair of ear-plugs just in case. It really wasn't much of an issue for us, and no one in my family had trouble sleeping. Request a high floor room if you have concerns. And even if you don't, the views are awesome!

Another note: It's about $10.00 per day for internet, but if you bring your computer to Starbucks, you can get online for free.

• Liked — The view, location, and the room
  • Disliked — The fee for internet
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
jwcoleman
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We booked the A-Z Lincoln Package. For the price, this was an excellent value. Hotel is clean. Bottled water is free in the room. Beds are comfortable. Walking distance to Lincoln sites and short distance from others if you drive. Pool is small, but fine for little kids. We would stay here again (we booked for state fair). Don't know what the negative reviews are about.

• Liked — Location to Lincoln Sites
  • Disliked — No free internet
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family