“Good, could be better”

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
waukesha, wi
“Good, could be better”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Decent rate-$85 per night. Recent updates didn't do much-old box t.v.'s, loudest squekiest bed ever, bedroom needs floor to ceiling window coverings-you were up with the sun. Even with DirecTV, we had only 6 chanels-no local. Was told on day 1 they were working on it, still had 6 channels on day 4-checkout. No pool, free breakfast was better than expected. Great for the business traveller(never heard any kids screaming up and down the halls), but families might do better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Bring a sleep mask, and forget the romance!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank randy n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Arkansas City, Kansas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It's not the Four Seasons, but you can get a really clean comfortable room in this retro yet remodeled hotel for under a hundred. A suite at the hotel cost just 89. I'd stay here again, and I would tell all my friends about it. In the middle of everything with free parking and free breakfast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Retro decor, tidy room, comfortable bed, boob tube TV with probably ten channels, okay internet, really weak and noisy shower, thin walls? Walk through the hallway and you can really hear people gabbing. Stay in your room and you can also hear people in the hallway.

Stayed for a night only. Had a double bed room...but since we were only staying for a night to meet friends in downtown, it didn't matter what room we got. Beds were tucked well...but wasn't sure if we got fresh sheets in one bed. It was wrinkly like someone slept on it already. It sure didn't have that freshly washed smell, although the bed was made up well and the pillowcase looked fresh. So husband and I squeezed ourselves in the other bed because I thought the sheets were fresher. The pillows were nice and comfy, but I am not particularly fond of square pillows.

Not sure they vacuumed for new guests either because someone missed that dental floss on the computer table floor. Eewww!

Lots of towels in bathroom, they even provided a nice robe. But someone forgot to replace the tissue container. We had none. At least they had toilet papers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jansixteen
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the State House Inn. We were there for 2 nights while we visited the sights around Springfield. It was a great location. The staff was very nice and helpful. We asked the woman at the front desk where we could find the best pizza in town. She recommended Saputo's. It was an excellent recommendation. Would definitely stay there again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traci36
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our 2nd stay here. It was a very nice experience. Always clean and service was excellant. Beds were very comfortable.

We enjoyed the breakfast that was served. Someone always there to make sure things did not run out.

We like the retro look. Like one reviewer said "Think Mad Men". We would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail U
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Retro meaning decor. The hotel original opened in 1961 according to the sign, & was rennovated with "modern" decor. Think "Mad Men" TV show. I sort of like the decor, it is like going back into time. The TV in the rooms are not flat screen, I am surprised the TV are not "retro" as well. They probably have as many channels as they did in the 60s. But since I wasn't there for TV, I was ok with that. Free Wi Fi was available in the rooms, which I need for work, and parking is free, they give you a parking pass. I booked at Queen suite. The living room is separate from the bed room. The bathroom door doubles as the door to the closet. So when you close the bathroom door, it opens the closet. I have never seen that before but it practical use of space. Rooms were clean, suite includes mini frig and microwave. Honestly, I could not beat the price, a suite for about $100 compared to my regular hotel that was asking $119 for a double (convention in town, prices went up.). Breakfast was complimentary, pretty standard. Location is great, I walked all around the downtown Springfield area the other night. I agree the outside is not much to look at, but don't let that discourage you. It is a shame that layout of the hotel prevents the view of the capitol which is a block away. The only down side, I have to agree with other reviews, is that noise does travel and my bed room was next to the elevator, which I could hear. It did wake me up a few times. Also the hotel is located one block from the train tracks. There were several times the train coming through blasting their horns. The beds are Simmons/Beauty Rest which is what I sleep on at home, they are great beds. So decent stay, I would come here again.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to the elevator if you are a light sleeper. That would be the _00 or _01 rooms. I a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol D
Galena, Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was our third stay here, and we have enjoyed each time. Great staff, nice rooms, always great! Wonderful room this trip, we were upgraded to a suite, which was so much fun. Location is perfect! Always greeted with genuine friendliness!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business