“Great weekend get away”

The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We traveled by train to Springfield to enjoy the Old Capital Blues and BBQ festival. This hotel more than met our expectations. Very close to the train station and everything historical. We arrived on a very early train and knew we would not likely be able to check in that early, but the front desk staff was very accommodating. They held our luggage so that we could go explore the city and called us when our room was ready. Our king suite was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I loved the tall bathroom counter. The gym was great with weights and plenty of benches, and cardio equipment. The bed was too soft for my husband, but most beds are. In the middle of the night he went to the front desk and asked for sheets for the couch. They offered to have housekeeping make it up for him, but it was not necessary. That's above and beyond customer service. I love a soft bed and slept wonderfully. The only negative we found was there was only one trash can in our suite - not even a second in the bathroom. We filled the one up just from traveling trash. But that's pretty minor in comparison to all of the positives. The price includes a nice full breakfast buffet, with great wait staff. For the price and amenities this is an exceptional value. We will return to Springfield to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our king suite on the first floor was perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie S
There are newer reviews for The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for a weekend. The location could not be better for the sights of Springfield, it would be ideal for people wanting to hit a lot of places without using a lot of gas (or any, if you're willing to put a little walking in). The main parking lot was small, but there was another one right across a not-very-busy street, so parking is not an issue, at least not when congress is not in session.
When we checked in it was a bit busy, but there were two people working the front desk. One was a little more open and talkative than the one I dealt with, but the woman checking me in got things done fast enough and answered questions without a problem. Our room was nice, we stayed in a king suite. The decor was a bit retro, but I really liked it. The room was clean, and even though it was next to the ice machine we had no issue with sound. We did have a bit of an issue with the thermostats, we turned them down as our room was a bit warm, then went out to dinner and came back to find out the a/c had not gone off and one room was down near fifty degrees. The next day after housekeeping had been through we returned from an outing to find the temperature had dropped without going off again, but it was no big deal to turn the a/c off and let things warm back up, and we didn't have a problem after that second time.
The bed was very comfortable, and there were more towels than I have found at other hotels (and robes), and the toiletries were top-notch. Everything about the room was nice, save for two small details. There was wifi, which was lightning-fast when I could get it, but perhaps because we were at the end of a hallway, we had a problem getting a signal in the bedroom. No problem in the other room, but if I wanted a signal in the bedroom I had to put my computer at the foot end of the bed and angle it right. However this might be partly my computer. Again, when I got wifi, it was really fast, I was very pleased with the speed. The other was the number of TV channels. There are many less than I have found at most hotels I have stayed in, around 20 or so (most hotels I've stayed at offer around 50), 3 or 4 are sports-oriented, a couple only-news, and HBO was offered, but few non-basic channels beyond those. This was only an issue as I couldn't really find much of anything to watch while I was just lounging around a couple times.
The hotel offers free breakfast, which was okay. Right for the price, as some would say. It was beyond a basic continental breakfast, this one had eggs, bacon, country potatoes, fresh fruit, waffles, and an assortment of more grab-and-go type things. There were attendants who didn't let things run out, which was nice, as normally if you wander down to a crowded breakfast after the first hour or so things are picked over, but not here.
Housekeeping comes through every day, and they do offer the 'green' options of not switching out towels or not getting sheets changed out. We would have opted for the latter one of these had we not found a clear-ish stain we couldn't identify on our first sheet (our best guess is it looked like the sheet had been worn to the point of near transparency. The rest of the sheet was clean enough, so it was no big deal. Check-out was a breeze, got the receipt under the door, turned in the keys, and left.
All in all I would easily recommend this hotel to my family and friends, so I'd obviously recommend it to people reading this on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: The suite offered a lot of room, I'd try for a higher floor if possible
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I travel to Springfield quite a bit and always stay at the State House Inn. The building is wonderfully located right next to the capitol building and within walking distance of downtown with its tourist sites and bars/restaurants. It was renovated in a mid-century style befitting its architecture and is very stylish. There is a hot breakfast included, which is quite good...including hot waffles. I absolutely love the bathrooms in this hotel and would love to renovate mine in exactly the same style...huge counters that hold everything you bring with you and great tubs. As much as I love this hotel, it IS beginning to show a bit of wear. The televisions are outdated and even cheap motels I've stayed in have flat screens. The mattresses used to be incredibly comfortable (they are pillow tops), but I think it's time for some new ones. The one I had recently had flattened out and was getting squishy. I've noticed that the bed frames are getting scratched up as well. Sometimes the room service is a bit hit or miss and I've often had hair in the sink when going into the bathroom for the first time. All that being said, I still love staying here and am hoping that Choice Hotels will spend some money to update this place soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank James R
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Beautifuhly rennovated hotel with nice beds, bathroom, and breakfast buffet. Staff were extremely pleasant. Breakfast was large and delicious. Awesome location to Lincoln sites as well as the state fair.
Only two small issues. 1. We never received an ice bucket, despite asking twice. 2. No pool for the kids.
Also, just FYI, if you are allergic to down, bring your own pillows! That is all the hotel carries (I had the desk check if they had any others lying around, but they did not).
We will for sure be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had good experiences with the staff, but seemed older inside than the photos show. It spend a LOT of time traveling for work and always find it odd when hotels still have regular tv's versus flat screens. Housekeeping needs to step up their game with cleaning. I travel with antibacterial wipes and used 3-4 cleaning hard surfaces. There was peanuts on the floor within my sight - you think housekeeping would have seen that and vacuumed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Boorad68
joejeter, Owner at The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

We have noticed a lot of comments about our televisions. We are in the process of reviewing the available technology and making sure, before we just go out and buy 150 of them, that we can grow into them and not have a bunch of outdated technology in a year or less. To answer the Guest's question "Why we don't have Flat Screen TV's?", the simple answer is we need 150 of them, it's a huge expense, and the technology is getting ready to make a quantum leap when Apple releases their iTV. A few years ago our Franchise wanted us to put CD players in the rooms; who travels with CD's anymore? We are on top of it and are working on an entirely new television system with over 100 channels and new TV's but it's a big decision. We will post it on Facebook once we make our move.
As for cleanliness there is no excuse for debris on the floor. It happens and, in an ideal world it would not, but I question whether or not the Guest called the Front Desk and asked them to send up a Houseman to take care of the problem. We generally have someone on call 24/7 to take care of minor issues like this. I apologize that our room was not properly cleaned.
Still, I appreciate every review we get. It keeps us on our toes.

Joe Jeter, Managing Owner
The State House Inn Management, LLC

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed here for two nights August 3 and 4 and had a wonderful stay. From friendly and staff to an outstanding BIG breakfast, this is a Springfield deal. Conveniently located to all of the historical and State of Illinois sites, this is the THE place to stay in Springfield.

Room Tip: We were given a King Size suite, I guess, with a small kitchenette, great room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel has been completely refurbished in a beautifully and comfortably. The rooms are lovely, quiet, beds and pillows were incredible, the bathroom updated tastefully, great TV selection, generous amenities like robes, 2 free bottles of water a day, luxurious towels, lovely soaps, etc., and a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast/bagels/Eng. muffins/ fruit, sweets, great coffee, etc. There absolutely wasn't anything that we thought was lacking, or done part way. It is obviously well managed since every staff from front desk to housekeepers we met in the elevator to the breakfast attendants were professional but friendly and engaging. We have traveled a lot and stayed in all types of hotels from budget to 5 star properties and this hotel is right at the top. Congrats on a job well done! We'll be back

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family