“Clean, pretty and more than we expected”

The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We found this place on TripAdvisor. We are on a cross country trip spanning over a month with a different hotel stay nightly and we've learned that if you want a nice hotel you have to search TripAdvisor and choose from the highest rated hotels at the top of the list within your price range and that's what we did here. I was really surprised at the low cost for what we got.

The lobby was pleasant and nicely decorated. The room was a suite and had a livingroom and a bedroom with a huge bed, brand new plush sheets and blankets. The interior was well decorated in modern decor, clean and well equiped with robes, a small wet bar, lots of towels and a view of the capital building! They allowed us a late check out which was great because one of our kids was a little sick. The staff was extremely friendly and made sure the fold away bed we requested was in the room before we even checked in. Breakfast was included and was hot and offered lots of great choices. I highly recommend this place. Probably one of the best value and nicest rooms we had on our whole trip accross 20 different states.

There are newer reviews for The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The location was within walking distance of a lot of things to do such as places to see and eat.

Room Tip: We stayed in the king suite. Very nice with a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Location: walking distance to all capital-area sites.
Staff: pleasant, unobtrusive, efficient
Free Breakfast: complete, clean, etc.
Easy to park, move luggage, etc. Secure neighborhood. Immaculate property with four-star decor. Great bargain when legislature is out of session. One of the best stays during our long (long!) car trip.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

On a weekend, the area is a bit deserted (its across from the capitol buildings)but many interesting restaurants and historical sites are within easy walking distance. A large wedding party was taking place the evening we were there, but we were not disturbed by it at all and we were on the first floor. We had a picture window view of a typical midwest storm with lightening flashes every second or so. The hotel facilities and staff deserve a high rating.
There were only two small things about the place which kept it from getting a top rating in my mind.
First, the shower curtain rod was rounded but there was no tub in our room. This made the curtain extend beyond the lip of the shower. Water ran down the curtain on to the bathroom floor which had a drain in it, apparently there to catch such water. Well, it is not very pleasant to walk on a water soaked floor. We used towels to dry up the wet floor after each of our showers.
Second, the hotel has upgraded the bedding and the mattress, and coverings were extra comfortable. However, the pillows were so stuffed that I could not get comfortable with them. I probably should have asked for a standard pillow.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I have stayed at the Statehouse Inn for many years in connection with my work at the State Capitol. I am very impressed with the constant effort to provide the best experience for every guest. From the smiling faces at the front desk to the management staff to the room maids to the maintenance workers, they all are determined to make you want to come back. It's not just talk! The rooms are always sparking, the attitude is always helpful and your problem is always something the hotel can fix. Another key factor is the location just a block north of the Capitol and just a few blocks west of the Lincoln Library and Museum. Three other factors which will have you coming back are the breakfast buffet , free parking for guests and free high speed internet. My room is my office!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Hotel is clean and comfortable and a great location for seeing the sights. Easy walk to most everything, including some of the nicer restaurants in the city. Staff is friendly, but not overly so..about what you would expect. Room was fine - comfortable bed, clean bathroom and quality shower.

My major concern (and one that will keep me from returning) is that the walls are way too thin. The hallways were loud most of the night, waking me up several times from the noise created by rude guests. All night long, I could hear loud conversations, doors slamming, people laughing, babies crying, etc. In most quality hotels, such sounds are muted, if not completely silenced from quality construction. No such deal here...Two very poor nights of sleep to say the least. We were on the 3rd floor and at about 2am a tow truck and a policeman were removing a car from the street below - we could hear the whole conversation as if the window was open..

I was very surprised there was no in-room wireless internet. By 2011, you would think all hotels would have that service available. For all the possible government business that might stay here, you would think in-room wireless would be a given..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
joejeter, Owner at The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

I am not only the Managing Owner of the hotel, I was the Construction Supervisor and I worked closely with the Architects and Engineers when we re-built this hotel in 2002/2003. Our walls are anything but "paper thin". In fact, most rooms have two walls between them, staggered studs, multiple layers of drywall & soundboard, and several inches of wet-blown cellulose. I have personally sound-checked our room-to-room noise transmission and it is nearly zero.

But.

Code requires that every room get fresh air. In MOST hotels, this is accomplished by leaving a gap under the entry door and placing an exhaust vent somewhere in the room, generally in the shower area. IF there are people talking or making noise in the corridors it can be heard in the room. I'm guessing that this guest was in the hotel at the same time as a Wedding or Party group that stayed up late and had rooms next to each other so they were talking (loudly) on their way back to their rooms at night. As for the tow truck, well, I live in a nice home, and if there was a tow truck parked outside my bedroom I would hear it there as well. In multi story buildings, sometimes the noise outside actually gets louder the higher up you go. Sound is jus tricky that way. Our exterior walls are as sound resistant as that type of construction can be. I've been in our guest rooms during driving rain storms and it was virtually silent inside.

I have stayed (numerous times) at a luxury, 4 star hotel in downtown Chicago that has the same kind of construction as our hotel. I've never heard anybody in the adjacent rooms, but if you get a room outside the elevator, you hear people coming and going all night long because, just like us, they have an air gap under the door.

Even though we have tens of thousands of people staying with us every year, we seldom get complaints about noise. This is because I personally supervised every square inch of the sound-proofing and I know it to be above any reasonable standard. If you can go into an adjacent room and scream at the top of your voice and they can't hear you in the next room, then you have done above average sound-proofing. I've done just this. You can ONLY hear sounds coming from the corridor.

I appreciate this guests' comments because it tells us that we need to find a way to discourage other guests from talking in the corridors. We have security during large events and they do patrol the halls. Perhaps we need to put a "Please no talking loudly" notice in the paperwork you get when you check in. I've stayed in a thousand hotels and nobody else has ever done this, but we pride ourselves on not really caring what everybody else is doing.

As for the wireless internet, we are in the process of installing it now. When we opened in 2003, we were probably one of the few hotels in Springfield that had true high speed internet, it was free, and back then, everybody used patch cables. It's only been in the last few years, with the advent of iPhones and now the iPads, that people don't have the ability to tap into the wired connection. To that end, we have FREE WIRELESS internet in most of our public areas. We implemented that quite a while ago. We've been waiting for the technology to catch up and with the new "N" Protocol, we are ready to switch over. We have recently added a 50meg download speed internet connection, so we wanted our wireless to be as fast as possible. For the techies out there, you can appreciate this. To the average user, this means nothing. Suffice it to say, when we say "High Speed", we mean "HIGH SPEED". Soon you will be able to enjoy streaming high definition video anywhere in the hotel using your wireless connection and of course it will be complimentary.

To this guest; Thank you for taking the time to make these comments. I am truly sorry that your stay was unpleasant and I wish there was something I could do but we all need fresh air. I wish I had a picture of the hotel I'm talking about in Chicago. It's a tall white leaning tower, a solid 4 star hotel, you can easily spend $300/night there, and they have the exact same sound transmission issue. It's a code thing, not a paper thing wall thing.

Joe Jeter, Managing Owner
The State House Inn, Management, L.L.C.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Stayed June 29, 2011. The reviews on travel advisor steered me here, and it was worth it. This is a great place to stay. Very clean, griendly staff and good value. The breakfast was great. Eggs, meat, belgian waffles, breads, fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee and milk. The rooms were nice. Plently of towels, robes, hairdryer, bottled water, and coffee. Only issues were that I would have liked more water pressure in the shower. Also, the trains went through at 4:30am sounding their horns. Obviously not the fault of the hotel, but still notable to light sleepers. Overall a great, clean place and a great value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: AAA rate beat all website offers