Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Where do I start – Knowing I am a huge nostalgia fan my wonderful wife made reservations at the Route 66 Hotel and Conference Center in Springfield Illinois. Walking in the main lobby sent you back to a time where Greasers / Cars & Music you can listen to and understand, was prevalent. I was awe struck seeing all the cool memorabilia. We signed for our room and went on our way. It was clear that this hotel was renovated over a few times, regardless we were tired and just wanting to rest. As we walked down the hall way I noticed that all the unoccupied rooms would have the drapes open – so you can literally walk by and see the room set up (Not a Bad Idea) then without notice I stopped and started laughing, my wife looked at me as if I lost my mind and asked “what is so funny” – As I stood there and looked at this room – I said “babe – Where have you seen this Setting Before” she looked inside the room and said “Not sure but looks familiar” – I turned to her and said wow this is incredible.
Before I go on – I have to let all the readers know we are from Michigan not far from Dearborn and the very close to the Henry Ford Museum. With that being said in the Museum they have a DISPLAY of a HOLIDAY INN Room. Now getting back to my laughing – As we walked down the hall I realized we are staying in the Old Holiday Inn Route 66. My laughter was more based on see this exact display just like they have in the Museum. …. Ok moving on. So after we got by that – we got to our room – We are smokers and were in the smoking section of the hotel and honestly if I would have spent a week at this hotel I would have probably quit smoking. Moving ON! As I mentioned this is the Old Holiday Inn Route 66 Hotel – You may have some memories of Travel with your Parents / Aunts or Uncles pretty cool to see. Lots a memorabilia – Great Location off Route 66 close to just about everything.

So here is my overall review on a Scale of 1 -10: (1 being the worst – 10 being the best)

1. Location = 8
2. Cleanliness = 5
3. Comfort = 4
4. Room Quality = 5
5. Food in the small Restaurant = 6
6. Staff = 7
7. Pricing = 5
8. Return Visit = 2

As I mentioned it is cool to see all the memorabilia but that’s pretty much it, this is what rank up there with a $25 overnight Special during a road trip. Pretty much a place to Sleep – Shower and move on. The beds look like reincarnations of the middle late 70’s and feel the same too. The Shower was ok I guess, but the fixtures and bathroom walls and trim left much to be desired. It’s Cool to visit – and if you’re looking to save money especially if you are not staying long it’s a place that will interrupt a long drive – gets some rest – shower and move along.

Asked if we would stay again – Probably not, I love the location and the cool stuff (Memorabilia) but that’s about where it ends. So in essence if you want to experience what it was like staying in the state of the ART Holiday Inns back in the 70’s – Go For it – I have to say it is well worth that.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Steve R

Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our first overnight stop on our Route 66 adventure. Its a must if you like all the memorabilia which certainly gives you a feel for the era. Its great to meet others who are traveling the Mother Road and able to swap stories and offer advice. The rooms were a little disappointing and there weren't nearly enough wall sockets and everything was a little worse for wear. The decor and carpets needed cleaning and the sheets needed ironing although they were clean. There was no safe in the room but we did have coffee facilities.The walls at the front of each room were glass and the interior of each room was visible from outside unless you kept the curtains pulled right across which was weird. However on the positive side the shower was clean. Refuse was left outside in the corridor and it really did smell awful each time we had to pass it. The night we stayed the staff weren't very helpful and really couldn't be bothered to even point us in the direction of the restaurant. But we found it and had a reasonable meal there but what it lacked in quality was made up by the friendliness of all the other travellers who congregated in there and swapped stories and we had a brilliant evening there. Maybe it didn't help that there was a cage fighting tournament in the main hall that night and the staff were under pressure! The following morning we found the restaurant was closed as it was a holiday so couldn't have breakfast there. When we were checking out we were advised by a member of staff to go to Charley Parkers for breakfast ......THE best eaterie in the area which made up for a disappointing stay at the Route 66!! My advice find Charley Parkers and eat there, fantstic grub!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SM1RNOFF2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have a friend who always travels with his own shower head, for hotels like this one that are "conserving" water with plugged up shower heads. I wish I had had one while here. We stopped here to visit the Lincoln Museum, a five star attraction, while on our way to Missouri. It is a great place for nostalgia if that is your priority, but our non smoking room place suffered from cigarette odor. Beds were OK

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our 2nd hotel of 18 whilst travelling Route 66 and to us it was one of the best. It has a great collection of memorabilia, somewhere to spend the evening. Yes the rooms are a bit dated, but does that matter, we certainly stayed in worst. The motorbike was safe, as we were allowed to park it on the forecourt.
If you don't want to go far to eat there is a good cafe on site.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra P
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel has incorporated the first Holiday Inn built on Route 66 into the rest of its complex, and a couple of the first floor hallways are stuffed with Route 66 memorabilia. The spirit of the Mother Road is alive and well here, from the moment one steps into the entry doors. From that standpoint, it is a fun stop and recommended. The pool is lovely with Route 66 plastered over the floor. Food is available either at the enclosed restaurant or at the adjacent lounge when the restaurant is closed, which may not be comfortable for families at all times. We were housed in the original wing, which was definitely showing its age. Not sure how much the place could be updated without losing its flavor. It is maintained and clean--mattresses were being replaced in several rooms. The hotel is a maze of hallways, but in the spirit of the place, that was okay. Do not know what the newer section is like. Entertainment available some nights. Our only issue was with the front desk. Thought they could be a little more helpful. Could not tell us how much a cab ride might run to either downtown or to the fairgrounds, though they did call us a cab, which quickly arrived. Could not give us any information about churches in the area, though two could be seen from the corner--we were told to look in the phone book. Kind of felt like they did not feel the need to step up customer service, because they had this great name going for them. Hotel price--cannot beat it at $66. Access to interstate about a mile. For the Route 66 experience, it is a great stop.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank roadtripmajik
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a group function and the hotel itself has a lot of cool memorabilia, but the room was a bit lacking. The doors to the room were at one time exterior doors that have since been built around. It seems like that causes a problem with air flow and ventilation as our room was extremely musty. I have allergy/sinus/asthma problems and the musty air really wreaked havoc on my respiratory system. As we walked down the hall, we could see that some of the rooms have more updated bedding and fixtures. Our bathroom looked recently updated, but the rest of the room wasn't.
If this had been just my husband and myself, we probably would have asked to be moved because of the musty air and we wouldn't have stayed more than one night.

Room Tip: One tip for staying, if you get a room that faces the exterior of the building there will be light f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I can recommend this hotel to anyone who is doing Route 66. It is worth it for the quirky nature of the place and the memorabilia adorning the walls.
The rooms are clean and functional, though very dark, having no windows to speak of. However for one night this did not bother us as the atmosphere more than compensated for this. There is also a pleasant bar which serves decent food up to 10pm.
Great place to stop for a night.

• Stayed: September 2013