“Nice staff but some operational issues”

Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Nice staff but some operational issues”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Check in and check out went well. Did not eat in restaurant but servers all acknowledged me when I was getting coffee. The issues were the sweet smell in the room which probably was the deordizer and the loud clicking noise when the a/c kicked in. Also carpets throughout hotel needed cleaning or replacing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night. Check in/check out were smooth. Staff was friendly. The place is clean (outside, inside in both common areas and in rooms). Bed was comfortable (and adjustable). The indoor pool was a bit small, but I didn't expect a huge pool anyway. I really have no complaints. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmjr81
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We chose this hotel for our weekend getaway from Chicago and it was a good choice. We chose the King Suite room, which was not that much more than a standard room, and I would recommend it for the extra space. Note: The living and bedroom are not separated by a door. The hotel had all the HGI qualities: Mini-fridge in room, free wifi, cookies available at the desk in the evening. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they were friendly when we did. Location is outside the 'downtown' area, which is just fine, since downtown was not a very exciting place. The hotel is close to several restaurants, fast food, etc. Only issue was that the vent in the bathroom was great at carrying sound from another room, so it felt a little like we were eavesdropping on another guests. Otherwise, great stay and would defiantly recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Amanda M
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Spent 7 nights at the Hilton Garden last week since our previous Christmas time visit. The stay was wonderful - love the staff! They all act so accomodating and really seem to care we are satisfied. We spent most of the days away but coming back at the end of a tiring day we were assured to find relaxation. Either hanging out with Wes or Nino at the bar or grabbing cookies to take to room for a midnight snack. This will be always be the place for us to stay when we come to Springfield.

Only complaint was a couple of the TV channels had no volume and Friday night we were unable to watch the Olympics opening because the channel was not working. Hotel really needs to get on their satellite provider!

1 Thank estherhampton
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2012

It is a few miles from the center of Springfield, which was good because we weren't near any run-down parts and we were closer to the expressway, which was convenient. When we entered the East side of the hotel, closest to our room, there was an overwhelming musty smell. The only other complaint was that we wanted to go sit in the spa for fifteen minutes at the end of the night- now granted it was close to 10p.m. but our feet were tired from walking all day and all we wanted to do was relax. That being said, there was two women sitting near the hot tub drinking beer while two little children were splashing around and screeching in the pool. Next thing you know, some guys came in there to meet them, with more beer and now food too. Then to top it off, there were some girls that must have been their daughters and in a softball tournament because they had their uniforms on and they kept coming in and out and propping the outside door open letting insects in. I felt this was rather rude, especially seeing that it was closer to 10:30 by that point- not very relaxing as we had intended, so we picked up our things and left.
On a more positive note, the bed was extremely comfortable and the accommodations were great! If I am ever down that way again, I might consider staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

StacyHamlin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay and we are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Because travel is very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We want you to know that we have addressed our staff in regards to the incident in the pool area, and we again apologize for your inconveniences. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Best Regards,
Stacy Hamlin
Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I booked three rooms for a wedding and the service at the front desk was the worst I've experienced at a hotel. We arrived after the wedding, a full hour past check in time. Not one of our three rooms was ready and the clerk at the front desk was rude, asking me to step aside while I waited for her to check on their status. After waiting ~10 minutes, I was told one of my rooms was ready so I sent my daughter-in-law there with her 2-year-old son so he could take a nap. Ten minutes later, I was finally told the second room was ready and my son-in-law took his two children there for their nap. I waited patiently for my own room and finally asked about it after another 10 minutes and got the response - oh, you have another room? When I originally went to the desk, I showed the clerk all three reservation receipts so there was no question I had reserved three rooms. I also requested two keys for each room and had to re-request for each one. When I checked out the next day, I again noted my disappointment with the check-in process and was told that the 3:00 check-in was not a guarantee - that is news to me, as it is at every other Hilton property! I was also blown off, never apologized to or given a second thought. So, I wrote to Hiton Honors customer srvice and was told the property would be in touch with me. The property told Hilton Honors they contacted me, which they never did; plus, they made up a story about my requesting connecting rooms, which I did not request, nor receive. They also told corporate that there were a LOT of check-ins at the same time - that was also untrue as many of the other wedding guests checked in prior to the wedding. We opted not to do that, as when I called to request early check in, I was told it might not be possible and since I had children with me, it seemed wiser not to make a trip for nothing. I attempted to have the property address my issues/concerns, as well as the corporate office but since neither seems to be taking me seriously, I am resorting to writing a bad review. I don't know if this helps, but I feel better letting others know the staff at this Garden Inn does not care about its guests. There was one highlight to our stay - the breakfast was awesome and our server, Sarah, was fantastic. She was attentive to our needs and responsive to my disappointment during check-in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gerib54
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I again would like to apologize for the level of service you received at check in. We want you to know that our staff has been addressed and this will not happen again. If you would like to further discuss please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Mechanicsburg, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel was great! My family and friends enjoyed their stay during our wedding weekend. Everyone there was so helpful and even gave my new husband and I free breakfast the morning after the wedding. I would definitely recommend them again!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family