“Noisiest Place I have ever stayed!”

Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Picked this hotel for a quiet couple’s romantic weekend in the State-Capital city, while visiting Lincoln Museum. Unfortunately this was also the weekend for a youth soccer tournament, and this made this hotel the noisiest place I have ever stayed.

Considering my Hilton Honors profile requests a QUIET room location, I think hotel managers should not place youth-rooms across the hall and on both sides of mine. Reservation had been made weeks in advance so mine was not a walk-in requesting whatever room was available. The youth groups had to submit rooming lists weeks in advance also, so hotel management had plenty of time to plan ahead and avoid noise conflicts between adult and youth guests. Placing Youth Groups on a separate floor with management supervision may be required for acceptable social behavior.

Check-in on Friday went fast and smooth. The front desk offered two bottles of water as a Welcome-Gift for a HHonors member. There was an offer at check-in of 500 additional HHonors bonus points for having dinner in the restaurant. There was no hint of the noise-level to come. Perhaps this property should post an advance-noise-warning on their website prior to booking like some hotels do for closed pool/spa.

Friday night, groups of girls ran “wind-sprints” up and down the fourth floor hallway from 9pm to 10:30pm. Parents had the room doors propped open with the swinging security locks, and could care less about the noise. A hotel manager said mine was the third noise complaint, and things did settle down some after a warning at 10:30.

Saturday night was worse. My first clue should have been the broken glass bottles in the parking lot. When I returned to the hotel, the restaurant was closed Saturday evening, and the lobby was filled with parents standing around with brown-glass beer bottles. (Ever stumble onto a party to which you were not invited?) The restaurant remained closed, dark, and unused, but the tiny two-person bar did a great business until the crowd moved on to externally-purchased “Silver Bullet” beer cans and wine bottles later in the evening.
Hotel management could have improved the lobby mess and traffic flow if they had opened up the meeting room on the East side of the lobby, and let the crowd mingle in that area.

The hot-tub/spa had so many kids in it, that it remained full while I was in the pool area. The body count greatly exceeded the health department codes, as well as length of time permitted in the hot water. The parents opened the doors and flowed out into the concrete exterior pool patio area. The noise level outside was equal to the roar of the air conditioner units on the restaurant/lobby roof. Hotel management should note that a request for a QUIET room should not be on the front above the pool and lobby area. After the pool closed, the running up and down the fourth floor hall resumed, without any parental supervision.

There are other Springfield hotels that refuse to accept Youth Groups, and I will be staying elsewhere the next time I visit.

Room Tip: TIP: Request a room on the back side of the property, and it should be quieter than a parking lot vi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamesham
StacyHamlin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Dear Jamesham,

On behalf of The Hilton Garden I would like to apologize for your bad experience. I understand your frusrations about the noise as I personally came in that evening to resolve the situation. We really would like you to give us a second chance. Please contact myself at the hotel. We want to earn back a valued guest.

217-529-7171

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We booked this hotel based upon it being a Hilton Hotel. The Hilton downtown was booked due to a Car Show in town. My husband travels alot and we enjoy trying out new hotels in the Hilton Brand. Unfortunately this was not the greatest experience. It is an average hotel, when you walk in, you smell the smoke from food (I'm assuming the ventilation is poor in the kitchen). The price was decent as we booked it on-line, however we probably could have stayed at Hampton Inn for lowere with a more comfortable inside. My husband is a Diamond Hilton status, and we did not receive any of the promised perks with this booking. No mention of a free breakfast which we are used to having when traveling at a Hilton Brand hotel, no mention of anythingl. Upon arrival, they were obviously training a new employee, no customers were in line, yet we had to wait for them to finish what they were doing before being helped. We needed a safety pin, and we had to buy a packet in the convienence closet, the cost was not much but something that other hotels have been able to provide their customers. The carpets were old, the rooms could use an updating, the floors were dirty in the loby. One person in the elevator greeted us and a cleaning manager did ask if we needed assistance opening our door since we had two young children with full bags in our hands. We will not visit this hotel again, we might try the downtown Hilton or the newer Crown Plaza as I have stayed there before and the hotel and staff were very accomodating, clean, and the place was well taken care of.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed here on a recent trip to Springfield. Couldn't have asked for a more accommodating staff. They were able to make everything about the stay simple and easy. We will definitely come back."

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I spent several years sleeping 4 to 5 nights a week in Springfield for both business and occasional pleasure trips. Even though my travel there is now infrequent, out of all the hotels I stayed in (including every chain hotel in the area and in near by Chatham) this was the all around best comfort, service, and value I have found.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
StacyHamlin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Thank you for the great reveiw!!!! We are looking forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is the second Hilton Garden Inn that I have stayed in during the month of July. It also is the last one I will stay at. For the second time I have encountered rude front desk clerks and I'm just not going to put up with it anymore. There are many nice hotels in Springfield, but as a "diamond" member of Hilton Honors I thought I would stay at a Hilton property because I've had nice stays at other places. But I do not need to put up with rude desk clerks when I've been traveling all day, I call ahead to tell them that I will be arriving VERY late, and yet when I do arrive they make a comment as to my late arrival. I'm not a child and I don't have a curfew. I work and I travel and I get in to my hotel when I can. But I won't be back to the Hilton Garden Inn again.
I will say as to the housekeeping aspect, the room was very clean, so I thank those folks for caring at least.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank studlyIllinois
StacyHamlin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

On behalf of all the Employees and Staff of the Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, I would like to apologize for our inability to exceed your expectations during your recent stay. We continually strive to ensure all our Guests receive superior service and a quality stay, and take, very seriously, any time we fail to meet those expectations. Please be assured that we will take all necessary steps to remedy the situation so that it does not happen again. Can you please contact me so I can discuss your stay.

Again, my sincere apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you, and hope you will continue to use the Hilton Family of Hotels for all your travel needs.

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I have stayed here before, and it's usually my go-to location when travelling on business in Springfield. On this occasion, I was attending a conference at the nearby Crown Plaza, and chose to stay at the Hilton Garden instead, because the Plaza is overly-busy, overpriced and unfriendly.
Overall, it was a fine stay. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly. Check-in was a breeze. My only "complaint" is that the room was quite loud with lots of traffic noise coming through the closed window. As I lay in bed, I assumed I may have gotten a room near the Interstate. In the morning, I was surprised to see that I was actually nearer the front of the Hotel. Not sure why the windows let in so much outside noise -- don't recall having that experience at this Hotel before. Otherwise, the interior of the Hotel was pretty quiet, even though a wedding was taking place that night. I'd still pick this location over neighboring hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
StacyHamlin, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2011

Thank you for kind comments. I apologize you had some noise during your last stay. In the future let me know when you coming so I can make sure we exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your response.

Thanks,

Reviewed April 6, 2011

Stayed here on the way to St. Louis.

Location - Convenient location, near main routes, right across the street, with in walking distance of casual places to eat, easy drive to others. What is interesting...the view from the front of the Hotel looks directly towards a factory belching giant smoke plumes into the air. Was too far away to be a problem, but not pretty to look at.

Hotel and Staff - Clean, nice room, kids had fun in the pool, staff was nice, had a little snack store in the hotel, cookies and fruit at the desk on check in. No issues here.

Did not eat at the hotel too busy to do so.

Attractions - We did all the Lincoln stuff. Very interesting. New Salem is where he got his start, the Library has all of his papers (library is open to the public but you cannot get access to the papers etc), His home is in an area designated as a national park, very interesting, and best of all, the Lincoln Museum is well worth the money and time.

Summary - Solid Hilton Choice

Room Tip: Room was fine
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

I'm glad you had a wonderful stay and we appreciate you staying with us. We will see you next time you stay. Thanks for the great review!