“Unexpected stay, but great property.”

Wingate by Wyndham Springfield
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Edwardsville, IL
“Unexpected stay, but great property.”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were forced to stop at this property due to a severe snowstorm. We booked over the phone while we were still on the road. Hotel was expecting us within a few minutes. We had to book two rooms and our needs were met. Rooms were very, very nice. Beds were a little soft but comfortable. Rooms were decorated very tastefully. Since we were at the hotel early, we tried to decide what to do with our time. Travel was not an option as 17" of snow was falling. Luckily this property was within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. We were able to get food as well as swimsuits for our older children so we could at least use the indoor pool. Staff were very nice and realized they had "captive" guests due to the storm. Hotel provided a nice breakfast free in the morning and when we went to leave we found that our car had been cleaned off for us also. Nice property when we needed it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Christina S, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Springfield, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
One of the things we love most about our jobs is being there for the people who need us most! My name is Christina and I just recently become the General Manager of this property. We were so surprised to have 17" hit us on the second day of Spring! Luckily, we are walking distance from restaurants and shops so our guests never really have to go "without" when they are here unexpectedly! I am so happy that despite travel conditions your family was able to enjoy a stay at our hotel. Thank you for the compliments on our rooms and breakfast. If you are ever traveling through Springfield again, we would love to have you back!

Christina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Trenton, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here two years ago when we traveled to Springfield for a funeral and had an excellent experience. Unfortunately, we had to travel to Springfield for another funeral this past weekend. We booked the Hampton based on our experience the last time.

First off - there are not refrigerators in all of the rooms. I don't remember this from the last trip. Only some of them have them, and you're not told this when you book a room through the website. If you want one and you've booked a room online, you have to request one at check-in. They are available on a first come first serve basis.

They no longer have a hot tub in the pool area. My fault for not paying attention to the hotel details online. They had one when we stayed there in the past, but it's been removed.

What struck a nerve with me(and lowered the rating) was the tough time we had getting a crib. The hotel's website states "Are you bringing the kids along on your trip? We've got you covered. Below are a few things we offer to please the entire family: Cribs, High Chairs." We were traveling with a 13 month old, who needed a crib or pack n play. I specifically requested this when I booked the room. When it was requested again at Check-in, the response we received was "Oh, I don't know if we have any available. They are first come first serve. We'll have to go door to door on every floor to see if we have any available." Um, what? I understand they are first come first serve, but why the dramatic response about what a HUGE FAVOR they were doing for us, when their website specifically advertises that cribs are available? Luckily they were able to "track one down," but if they hadn't, it would have been a deal breaker and we would've moved to a different hotel. I have never been to a hotel where this was such an issue. Perhaps the Hampton needs to purchase a few more cribs or pack 'n plays if this is such a big deal.

On the plus side - we had no cleanliness issues, most of the staff members we encountered were polite (though every time we had a request - whether it was the crib, a refrigerator, or simply to alert the front desk that there were no more towels in the pool area - we were met with the same dramatic "Oh I'm not sure if we have anymore - we will try" response). Breakfast was mediocre, but hats off to the woman working the breakfast area on Sunday 3/24 - it was packed, and she was running her tail off keeping everything stocked. Of all the staff members we encountered, she was the shining star.

Overall - it was an OK trip, but we'll consider other options next time we travel to Springfield.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a refrigerator - your best chance at snagging one, is to call the hotel and book...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
My name is Christina and I just recently became the General Manager of this property. I am so sorry that your family had to travel to Springfield for a funeral. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. While I am glad you found your room clean, I am truly sorry for the level of service you encountered from our team members.

Since your stay we have been retraining and stressing the importance of making sure we are ready for our guests before they arrive by reading and fulfilling all guest requests we can. Unfortunately, this property has never had refrigerators and microwaves in all rooms but they can be requested when making a reservation just as the cribs can. They are on a first come first serve basis, but we certainly try to make arrangements for everyone even if that means using the hotel refrigerators to store any food, drink or medicine you may have. I assure you your comments have not been taken lightly and we are working to improve our level of service every single day.

We did have to remove our hot tub earlier this year due to new ADA laws requiring a lift for both the pool and hot tub. Unfortunately, we did not have enough room to safely install the lift at the hot tub and were forced to remove it.

We are remodeling our lobby this year. You have probably noticed that other Hampton Inn's have have started this. I think it will be just the facelift we need!

We hope that if you are ever traveling to Springfield you will give us another try.

Madison, WI
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We arrived on a snowy night. There was plenty of parking. We were greeted by a friendly front desk clerk. I had never been asked if i had a preference as to which floor I wanted before. He asked each of us, and accomodated each of us. The rooms were a decent sized. I had a room with two queen sized beds. Each bed had four, or was it five, pillows. The heating/AC unit had a digital thermostat, which is great. The room was so quiet, I did not hear any noise from the hall or neighboring rooms. The linens were OK, not scratch, but not overly soft.

The hotel includes breakfast, has an indoor pool, and has a computer and printer in the lobby.

For the price, the rate we received was about $100 per night, this hotel is a great deal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments about our hotel staff! We were certainly surprised ourselves to see so much snow fall once Spring had started! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and that you found your room to be both clean and quiet. Comfort is our goal! My name is Christina and I just recently became the General Manager of this property. We are working hard to maintain a great level of service! We hope to have you back with us soon!

na
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Hampton Inn was extremely clean, and the staff was courteous and helpful. It was quiet, and I felt safe there. They also had free Internet access from my room, which was appreciated. I inspected the mattress for bed-bugs and found none. The room was immaculate, including the bathroom and bed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Christina S, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Springfield, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
My name is Christina and I just recently became the General Manager of this property. Thank you for your comments on our immaculate rooms and bathrooms. Our housekeeping team was elated to hear the compliments! We are so pleased that you found your room to be clean and quiet and also that you felt safe here. That is very important to us. Like you, we are very happy that Hampton has provided as a wonderful complimentary internet for your use! Again, thank you for staying with us! We truly appreciate your business.

Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel is a fairly average moderately priced hotel. It was a quiet place with free wifi that worked. The free daily breakfasts were ok with just about the same offering each day. Rooms were clean and good sized, and there was plenty of parking. You could also walk to nearby restaurants. I didn't use the pool, but did use the exercise room which was small but seemed large enough for the amount of use it seemed to get.

I might have rated the site a little higher but decided on average because it seemed the hotel paid little to no attention to details. There was often a small amount of debris in the hall. And they left all decaf coffee in my room instead of having a few of regular and decaf. Then there was no hot water in the common area for tea. The person at the desk was very nice and helpful when I told her about it and offered to get me some from the tap in the kitchen. But I could have done that in my room or even used the coffee maker (since I wasn't using it anyway to make my coffee) - I was just letting her know about the lack of water so she could fill it for someone else, but she didn't seem concerned it was out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
My name is Christina and I just recently became the General Manager of this property. I want to first thank you for staying with us and for submitting a review on our hotel. I am so glad that you found your room clean, comfortable, and quiet. I, too, enjoy the nearby restaurants and shops!

I also wanted to thank you for your feedback on some details that we missed. Since your stay, we have updated our breakfast menu with a variety of options from scrambled eggs, western omelets, turkey sausage links, pork sausage patties, maple sausage, bacon, seasoned home fries, biscuits and gravy, hot oatmeal and waffles spread throughout the week. We have revamped our public area cleaning schedules and retrained in housekeeping to make sure we are hitting on all the necessary details.

I want to truly thank you for your feedback. It only helps us better serve you. I hope we have the pleasure of having you back with us in the near future.

Kansas City
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family of 5 just stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The staff was great. Check in and check out was quick and efficient. Our room was clean and comfortable. The beds were great. We asked for a cot and one of the staff immediately brought it two our room and set it up and made it for us. The breakfast was better than average. We liked everything about the hotel and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We elected to take a room on the 4th (top) floor as is our habit.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ozkan D, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Springfield, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star feedback. You are awesome. We are looking forward to have you again. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to pass this to my staff and coworkers

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Dirksen Prkwy back in mid December. It was a welcoming experience. I enjoyed the flat screen t.v. and the room was very quiet. A friend came by and stayed the night. We both slept well and comfortable all night until morning. Thank You Hampton Inn and staff. You are all kind and considerate workers. Especially front desk. As I left some items in the room and they were given back to me. I appreciate the thoughtful attitude of this hotel. I will certainly stay again while in town. Stay here, you will be happy you did. Zero complaints.

Room Tip: The front of the building faces Steak and Shake the back of the building faces a small shopping plaz...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you so very much for choosing our Hampton Inn for your stay and we are looking forward to have you again. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to pas to my staff and coworkers.

Have a great day.