“One of the best restaurants in Springfield”
Review of Ross Isaac - CLOSED

Ross Isaac
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are located in the heart of Springfield just minutes away from anywhere in the area. We feature an eclectic menu of steaks, chops and fresh seafood blended with food grown by local farmers. Extensive wine list and home of the $5 Martini Monday. Great for casual meal or to impress out of town guests. Enjoy
Springfield, Illinois
“One of the best restaurants in Springfield”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I can't believe Ross Isaac is below so many less awesome restaurants on this list! I often stop by for drinks with friends, and my husband and I frequently select Ross Isaac as the place to have dinner with our family or our friends.

I've been to RI many times, and while there have been occasions when I haven't LOVED what I've ordered, I have never had a disastrous experience and overall I'm usually very pleased with my meal (I am always a fan of the lamb chops--so delicious--and the Mediterranean platter, calamari and the salads have always been great starters).

I would definitely recommend Ross Isaac to any friend or visitor who is coming through Springfield.

My only negative review of RI as a frequent visitor is that the menu isn't changed frequently enough. Variety is the spice of life!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank amysimsbarry

Springfield, IL. USA
“A Disaster”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Every time we went here the service was AWFUL. No one wanted to wait on us and then they forgot to put in one of our dinner orders! Too bad, because the food is good.

Jacksonville, Illinois
“Great Food”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Had a nice romantic dinner. Food was excellent. Very happy with the service and wine.

• Visited June 2012
Springfield, Illinois
“Delicious/Upscale”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Fabulous food, great service and great drinks.
I highly recommend the cake martini, the apple wood quesidilla's, and the cuban nachos. Their calmari is the best ever. A fabulous spice!

Outdoor seating is nice and the indoor seating is romantic if you ask for the back room.

Visited May 2012
Illinois
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and I have lived in the Springfield area for ~ 3.5 years and have been wanting to try this restaurant. We've kind of been waiting for a special occasion to go, but when it was suggested as a dinner spot for a "girls' night out" with a group of friends, I was quite excited. Unfortunately, Ross Isaac was a big disappointment.

The Good:
A group of 6 of us walked in without reservations on a Saturday night and were seated within a reasonable amount of time. Bartender was very friendly and nice. My glass of wine was good.

The Bad:
Once we were seated, our waitress reviewed the menu, specifically stating that it was "up to date," letting us know every dish was available. I was deciding between the Scallops or the Paella, but ultimately went with the Paella because the menu said it contained shrimp, mussels, scallops, and sea bass. I figured I could get my taste of scallops and then some! I was one of 3 people out of our party of 6 who ordered this dish. Unfortunately, after my meal was served, I realized it contained only mussels and shrimp -- NO scallops and NO sea bass. It was like this for all 3 of us who ordered it. Our waitress did not come back to check on us until we were almost completely done eating. At that time, one of my friends inquired about the lack of seafood in the dish. The waitress gave a weak apology and mumbled something about how they've "been running out of things tonight."

I was appalled that they would serve a dish with half of the seafood advertised without 1) letting us know and 2) offering to make an adjustment (comp our bill or offer to make something else). I couldn't believe I paid the full $28 for this meal when it was glaringly incomplete. To top it off, my shrimp were overcooked and rubbery. Had I been with my husband, I would have pushed harder for them to make it right, but didn't want to cause drama when out with my girls.

Adding insult to injury -- I paid for my meal in cash. When the waitress brought my change, she had short changed me by $10. It took another long while for her to come back to our table so that I could let her know the mistake.

Overall the food and service were well below average from other restaurants I've eaten at in this price point. I'm bummed, as I was hoping to go home to my husband and rave about the experience. I'm not sure I'm willing to give it another try -- will probably spend my money elsewhere and not risk another bad dinner at Ross Isaac.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank HG5000