“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
central illinois
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed September 30, 2006

After reading other reviews for this hotel we were a little concerned. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised to find employees very accomodating and the room very nice. We were worried about the trains, but at night we never heard one. The breakfast was very good and we plan on staying there again.

• Liked — two room suite
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank auntpittypat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed with my son for two nights for a Springfield trip. The first night we had no hot water and I was told that that side of the building has problems. We did have hot water in the morning. Also there were only two towels - I left a note for the maid requesting more (and left a tip) and when I came back there was only one really ratty looking towel. Rooms and grounds run down. Staff not friendly.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank marion10
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 31, 2006

This property has potential, but also a number of issues. On the positive side, it was very affordable and in a great location - easy walking distance to many attractions. They also had nicer towels, plenty of well lit parking and free local calls.

However, this was definitely more of a motel type of place, not the cute inn I had imagined. Although it looked clean, I found a couple of beetles in the bathroom. The TV reception was awful and the air conditioner made quite a bit of noise - enough to wake you through the night if you could even go to sleep with it. The water pressure in the shower was not too good, tub stopper didn't work and the lighting in the bathroom was dim. The free breakfast was juice (one container for the group), cereal, instant oatmeal, toast, etc. and there was not enough for all the people there. I skipped it after the first morning.

Staff help was minimal. For instance when I called from my room several times, the line to the front desk was busy. When I came down in person and the clerk saw me, she ended her personal call and tried to help me out, even though the info she had was not quite accurate on closing times for the area restaurants. (I had called them directly when I couldn't get through to her.)

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank tulip_gal
Reviewed May 30, 2006

What a disappointment. We booked our room online and when we arrived we observed the desk clerk try to charge the couple in front of us more then what they had been quoted online. The desk clerk adjusted their rate when the couple mentioned it to the clerk. When it was our turn to check in, the clerk handed me the slip to sign for the room, I noticed that the rate was not what I was quoted online, so I mentioned it. The clerk was obviously putout by my observation and had to get the manager on duty to adjust our rate.

Another couple was trying to check in while we now dealt with the manager on duty and the clerk could not even find their reservation, although they had a print out of the reservation they made online. After we finished checking in the manager on duty walked away and the clerk gave us our room key. It was then mentioned that the elevator was not working, but that it was currently being worked on and would be running soon. We were assigned a room on the fourth floor. The elevator was never repaired while we were there until the next day. We observed many rooms on the second and third floor that were unoccupied but we were never offered the opportunity to move to a room on a lower floor. Walking four flights of stairs in 90 degree weather in unairconditioned stairwells and outdoors catwalks was pretty unbearable. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Although very dated, the room was clean. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful, save for the night auditor/clerk that was on duty for the few nights I was there. Mr. Personalilty (in the most sarcastic way), who didn't seem to feel it necessary to talk with guests unless he absolutely had to. I'm glad my family was not with me on this business trip so not to subject them to the cursing I had to hear from this clerk...directed toward the fax machine I think, not a guest. The first time I encountered him, I just figured he might be having a bad day...tried to remain positive toward him. The next couple of encounters, on different days, proved that it is just him.
If you're simply looking for a place to sleep a couple of hours, that is close to downtown and inexpensive, this may be a good choice for you. If you're a HEAVY sleeper this may be the place for you. If you need more than a few hours of sleep each night, or are a light sleeper, this may not be the place for you. I don't know the exact train schedule for the area, but can give you a general idea since the trains sound like their running through the parking lot of the property at all hours of the day and night.
It was a clean room though.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

From the time we made the reservations to the time we pulled out of the parking lot, if there was any possibility of a problem, the Mansionview staff didn't pass up an opportunity to disappoint.

Reservations for "two adjoining rooms for one night" were somehow transcribed as "one room for two nights". So, when we arrived the rooms weren't available. When we were finally given a room, one of the room keys didn't work...and the desk clerk's response was little more than "huh".

The phone in one room didn't work. The shower head in the other didn't either.

Overall, the rooms were clean. And I'm not even upset by the train passing by through the night...I knew about that when I registered.

But all-in-all, a colossal dissappointment. I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2005

Great location...the Governor's mansion was a skip across the street...(even though he is rarely there)...couple of blocks to walk to Capital bldg, Old Capital Bldg, Lincoln sites, Dana Thomas House, new Lincoln Library and Museum, great eats all along the old capital block.
HOWEVER>>>it is certainly time to UPDATE the rooms...we had a 2 room suite and it definately showed a LOT of WEAR and TEAR...the staff was very accomodating and had good suggestions. It's too bad that a hotel with everything going for it probably won't have too many non-legislative repeat visitors...

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business