“Basic, plain, but clean and cheap” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mansion View Inn
Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Evanston, IL
“Basic, plain, but clean and cheap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Mansion Inn is a clean, well-kept budget hotel directly across the street from the governor's mansion and within easy walking distance of the major tourist sights in Springfield. During the legislative session it is the home-away-from-home for lobbyists, which is how we learned about it. It was recommended by a friend who heads a professional association and on occasion lobbies legislators on behalf of the association.

The rooms are basic and spartan. The have all the basic furniture -- bed, dresser, bedside tables, TV, lamps, etc., but it is plain furniture. There is no artwork on the walls. There are plenty of clean towels and wash cloths, soap and shampoo, but you won't find the array of other toiletries you find at more costly hotels, such as body lotion, mouthwash, etc.

We had a two-room suite, and the second room had a loveseat, chair, desk, refrigerator, bureau and TV. Again, basic, plain furniture and no wall decorations.

But the place is clean, well-serviced, and includes free parking and free wi-fi. Other Springfield hotels charge much more and then also charge you for parking (for example the Hilton, which costs about twice as much, charges $8 or $9 a night additional for parking).

The lobby is spacious and well-appointed, and we sat there one afternoon with our tourist maps, coffee and cookies and were quite comfortable. The desk clerk was extremely helpful in recommending restaurants and tourist attractions.

The hotel does not have a restaurant or room service, so plan to get your meals elsewhere. They offer an included free continental breakfast, which is nothing more than pre-packaged muffins, coffee and juice. Skip it.

The rooms are inexpensive to begin with, but because we visited in July when they have low occupancy, we got an advertised "no tax" deal. We paid $65 per night for two nights, all inclusive.

Bottom line, a clean, comfortable, but spartan place to stay while touring the capital.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms back up to the Amtrak tracks -- literally 15 feet beyond your windows. Ask for a r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Steve D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Shelbyville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We just stayed at the Mansion View Inn for a 3 day weekend - we checked out after 2 days. The first thing I noticed was how badly stained the carpet was in our room. Next, we could not find the remote control for the TV. My husband called the front desk for another but while we were waiting he found it when he accidentally kicked into it under the edge of the bed. My only thought was that housekeeping hadn't done a very good job sweeping. The piece de resistance came when my son took a shower. He grabbed a "clean" towel off the rack and hanging under it was someone elses dried, dirty wash cloth.
The trains are very, very loud and run late into the night and start around 3 am. There were two ice machines on the second floor but one of them was broken. The continental breakfast is a joke - no fruit, no bread for toast, the only juice was Sunny-d, the sweet rolls were disgusting pre-packaged garbage. The only good thing about this hotel is its proximity to the attractions in downtown Springfield.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 60Happy-trveler
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I've just returned from three days in Springfield as a tourist. My stay at the Mansion View Inn was not only economical, but it also placed me at the center of Springfield's historic district. Within a few minutes walk I found virtually every historic site a visitor could want, the one exception being the Lincoln tomb which is north of the downtown area and requires one drive to see it. In addition, a short walk of no more than ten minutes at the extreme, brings you to a host of excellent restaurants and eateries that are first rate and reasonably priced.

The Mansion View's rooms are clean, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was included in the cost and provided a good way to fuel up for the day. The staff was very helpful in suggesting what to see and the best way to get to historic sites as well as where to eat.

You can't go wrong by checking in to Mansion View. My spouse and I intend to visit it again when we return to Springfield with its many historic charms.

Rick W of Fond du Lac, WI

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rick W
Evanston, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

I just returned from a 1 night business trip to Springfield and stayed here. It was very clean, and it had free parking, wifi, and breakfast. Even though I checked out early, I was allowed to keep my car in their lot all day while I visited the state Capitol. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and even gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste when I asked where the closest drugstore was after I realized I had forgotten mine. It was just a short walk to the Capitol, which was its main attraction. It is next to the train tracks, so it is a little noisy. I was concerned when I read the other reviews, but it was just fine and reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Shelley B
Green Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

NOTHING WORKS, I HAD TO CHANGE ROOMS NUMEROUS TIMES. SAVE YOUR MONEY, GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!! dirty old and out dated. great hotel i imagine in 1964 but terrible in 2011. i had terrible service from the front counter, rude and unhelpful. room was dirty, don't use the shower! water came out rusty and dirty. My truck was broken into in mid day on video surveillance and they refused to show it to me. I saw the cleaning lady near the truck and i lost about $3000 on the trip. No help from the front desk and owner. must be a ponsi scheme rip off service

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank kurt w
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

After reading several reviews of The Mansion View Inn, we made our reservations for an overnight trip. We were in town for a concert that was just a few blocks away from this particular hotel. Some of the reviews were bad, but they were old reviews, so we decided to find out for ourselves. We booked just a regular king size bed room. When we arrived, it was a suite, which was a nice surprise, although we didn't need all the room! It made me feel more comfortable for some reason. Everything was nice & clean. The beds were comfortable, but nothing spectacular. There were reviews of the train noise, but I didn't notice this until the morning when we were getting ready to leave anyway. It was within walking distance from our concert & the downtown bars, which was nice. I would stay here again in the future.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank cirlam
South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Pros: sheets and towels were clean and felt like 100% cotton, they let us park our car to visit museums even after check-out, we felt safe in the neighborhood, location easy to find

Cons: the King Jacuzzi room hasn't been updated since probably the 80's (teal jacuzzi and tile) we didn't use it because I didn't trust the cleanliness of the plumbing, plus it wouldn't really fit two people, the worn-out mattress springs went "bo-boing" when we sat down or moved, two out of three lamps in the living room were not functional, mismatched old upholstery, scary elevator

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple