“Okay stay-Probably won't return.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn at 835

Inn at 835
Ranked #1 of 4 Springfield B&B and Inns
Springfield, Illinois, USA
“Okay stay-Probably won't return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

We went to this Inn for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. It was a suprise for my boyfriend, he had no idea where we were going, he didn't even know I had bags packed in the trunk. I had planned spa services at the spa they have on the third floor at the Inn. I was told by one very helpful employee over the phone that we would be able to check in at 2:00 that day instead of the usual 3:00, as they had to move our spa appointments. There was miscommunication between employees because the day time employee on 2/19 made it very clear to us that we were early, and made a big deal about how the room might not be clean and ready for us (not even occupied the night prior). It honestly felt like she was trying to make me feel awful about being early, like I inconvenienced her entire day. It was very embarassing/frustrating for me, with my boyfriend standing right there next to me. This employee was rude and made me feel very frustrated. This made the stay less enjoyable for me, as well as my spa services. The evening wine and cheese was enojyable, the evening staff were very pleasant, and I believe it was one of those employees that I spoke with over the phone. We most likely will not return, instead of feeling relaxed, I was irritated most of our visit because of the way we were treated within 5 minutes of walking in the door.

We stayed in the Hydrangea room, which was spacious and had a beautiful double jacuzzi with a view of the capitol. Downside: our room had direct view of the large parking lot with blacktop. The very small TV was positioned in an awkward angle to watch as well.

Bottom line: Customer service was not up to par, unsure of her name (female employee with dark hair, and was a little short with a hobble) is the reason we will not be returning. I am used to staying at Inn's where they ask for the reason of your stay, to try to make it more personable. I thought it was quite expensive for what our stay turned out to be.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
o'fallon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I do a lot of traveling and I love to stay at small inns and BB. I was excited to stay at Inn 385. The staff was wonderful. The room was wonderful! I enjoyed the evening wine and cheese and meandering around the inn. However, during breakfast some male in the kitchen was berating an employee. Everyone in the eating area felt extremely uncomfortable. I understand the need for running business but not when I have to listen to you complain to an employee - do that when guests are not present. It really put a damper on what was a wonderful relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anitakay3
Graymont, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our party of two couples shared the Orchid 2-bedroom suite and had a delightful experience. Found the Inn easily just 10 minutes off of the interstate in quiet (on a weekend) historic downtown Springfield. The Inn is beautifully restored and maintained. The staff friendliness, wine & cheese at 5 pm, home-baked cookies in our room, gas fireplace in our sitting room, spacious tub were amenities we enjoyed. Beds slept well. The Eggs Benedict breakfast the next morning was great, too. For a get-away to enjoy time with friends in a relaxed, gracious atmosphere, this Inn is perfect. We would definitely return again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

My husband and I joined my Mom and Dad on a weekend trip to Springfield, IL. My husband and I had stayed at the Inn at 835 approximately two years ago, and decided to visit again. Last time my husband and I stayed in the Hydrangea Room, this time, we splurged and chose the Orchid Suite. My parents used a gift certificate and stayed in the Iris Room. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this property. The Orchid Suite was wonderful and well worth the price we paid. My parents were very happy with the Iris Room. Joan was a wonderful hostess and very welcoming. We had a top notch breakfast and a very pleasant chat with the owner. All in all, I can't encourage you enough to choose this property for your weekend trip your girls weekend trip or your business trip. If you love antique furniture with a modern twist, this is the place for you. I'm almost sorry that I will be sleeping in my own bed tonight!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We spent a couple days in Springfield seeing the sights as a holiday gift to ourselves. We visited the Lincoln Museum, toured the State Capitol and had some nice dinners and lunches in downtown Springfield.

We enjoyed our state at the Inn. It was elegant and quiet (no events while we were there). The room was lovely and the jacuzzi was Wonderful!

Breakfast was tasty quiche and roast potatos.

I liked the fact that there was parking right next to the building, and the Inn is walking distance to the State Capitol.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

There were DVDs and videos available to guests, plus a computer with an Internet connection in the hall.

We had a great stay!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kirksville, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

Service, food and room were excellent. What more can you say. We were there on Christmas Day and we were made to feel like we were at home. Breakfast was a very delicious and a grat break from hotel continetal.
The room prices were reasonable and very comfortable.
We will definately be staying there in the future.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Seoul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

Since there were weddings going on while we were there, we felt like we were in the way. Staff and owners seemed put out that we slept in a bit and still wanted breakfast @ 9:30. A nice building, but a building does not take care of the guests.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple