“Excellent Brisket”

Hickory River Smokehouse
Ranked #50 of 496 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times over the past three years, and the food is always consistently prepared and served by friendly staff in a clean facility. You order from the counter by choosing your meat (brisket, ribs, or sausage) and sides. The sauce is on the sweet side, but it does not overpower the meat, and the Hot sauce has a nice kick. Hickory River is conveniently located off the highway (55), and is worth the stop if you like BBQ.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

really good mac n chez, and the baked beans are good, when i have pulled pork, i like the pork in the sauce..not the sauce on top..

Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Falling off the bone tender meat. Sauce was good on the brisket which was lean and a bit dry. Mac and cheese perfect. Corn bread good. Memorable go-back experience.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

Hickory River is such a great BBQ franchise. I've loved every one I've stepped foot in, and the Springfield HRS is no different. When you walk in, they immediately ask how you're doing (and for a lot of customers, the employees already know their name and order). It gave me a real sense of community--and I think that's something that restaurants in Springfield lack. And, oh yeah, the food is INCREDIBLE.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I came in during the early afternoon, and as soon as I walked in, the people at the front asked about my order... They were very kind! After ordering, the server brought my food out, and checked on me several times. They also have paper menus on each table, so we can easily add to our order (which I did :-).

I was alone, but had to deal with a situation at the time (via my smartphone)... I felt bad about being at the table for so long, even after I finished my food - but the server was fine with it. When I apologized for that, shortly before leaving, she told me I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted - until closing! :-)

I handed her an extra tip, on the way out.