“Memorial”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Memorial”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Well kept. Easy to find. Good paths for a walk/run. Plenty of parking. This is a "must do" when visiting Springfield

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Lincoln Tomb and War Memorial”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The grounds of this cemetary were well kept and directions clearly marked to Lincoln's tomb. It would require driving from downtown Springfield to get there. However, there was no mention anywhere that Lincoln's body was stolen from this tomb once and recovered.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

It was closed. Well, the inside part was being renovated so we couldn't go inside. Bummer. But we could still see the statue and rub Mr Lincolns nose for good luck. There was no one there and it was snowing a bit so we got some great shots with no other people there and that was worth it. The site itself is a stone's throw from Springfield and really easy to get to. We were there about 20 minutes took some pictures and left. Hopefully we can go back one day and see the inside.

Visited January 2014
Allen Park, Michigan
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 314 helpful votes
“QUIET / PEACEFUL AND INTRIGUING”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I visited the Lincoln Tomb while we where in Springfield, it is very surreal when you approach the marker. Yes its a cemetery and you expect it to be well groomed and manicured. However, there is something special to see when you come to Lincolns Tomb.

There is a Bust of Lincoln outside the tomb - People say to Rub Lincolns Nose for Luck - and if you notice allot of people have. When you enter the tomb it is like a mini museum - with some literature and statues all around representing one of the greatest presidents in history. As you enter the very back of the Building you will see Lincolns Tomb - As you are standing looking straight at Lincolns Tomb - Turn around and you will see the rest of the family behind you.

Definitely worth a trip -

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Steve R
Toronto, Canada
236 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 595 helpful votes
“Powerful and simple, just like the Man!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was passing through Springfield on a whim and decided to see the Lincoln Tomb. I went on New Years Eve, so the tomb area was empty. I was struck by the simplicity of the monument. The lucky Abe face in front on the monument that your rub his nose for good luck is a nice touch to the tomb and its surroundings. Located a fair distance of the interstate and from downtown, the tomb is absolutely worth the extra effort to pay your respects to this great man. You do feel something when you are there, it is difficult to describe. I just know for myself, I knew I was in the presence of something awesome. For that feeling alone, the Lincoln Tomb is worth a visit. I know am glad that I made this effort and plan on making the effort to get back to Springfield only to investigate his library. Often I think there is a hint of tackiness at many monuments, or they feel over the top, but the Lincoln Tomb was done right, I highly recommend a visit here!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank tdsuperstar

Been to Lincoln Tomb & War Memorials? Share your experiences!