“See this”

Lincoln Tomb & War Memorials
Ranked #4 of 59 things to do in Springfield
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is an absolute must while you are in Springfield. Go first hand and see where one of the greatest Presidents is buried.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,699)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"answer questions"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2013

PROS: free; solemn tomb inside the memorial; miniature replicas of different Lincoln statues inside the tomb; beautiful sculptures on the memorial atop the tomb; it reminds me of the civil war sculptures by the Grant Equestrian statue in front of the U.S. Capitol. More massive than President George Washington’s tomb.

CONS: too bad you can’t climb up the memorial stairs.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I went to the flag lowering ceremony at Lincolns tomb on the last day of the ceremony for the year. It is a very moving ceremony that was ruined by someone from I assume the group who runs the ceremony.

Seriously, I was harassed by a woman who didn't like where I was standing about 2 feet to the right of the end of the roped off area. She gave me a whole speech about the danger while moving me closer than I was to the troops firing their gun. When I questioned the logic she changed her tune and said it was about fairness. I wasn't cutting in front of anyone, wasn't bothering anyone and was quietly taping the proceedings. To say she was on a power trip may be a bit of an exaggeration but to say that she pretty much ruined this experience for me is not.

Since they are done for the year you won't have to deal with the rope Nazi but for next year, bring a chair, get behind the rope and smile at official looking women with badges.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lincoln's Tomb is a very moving tribute to our 16th U.S. President. It is a magnificent structure with engraved quotes on several walls and numerous statues throughout. Michael our personal "tour guide" was very knowledgeable, friendly, and customer service oriented. He doubled the impact I might have had with his helpful insights, and superior subject proficiency. He made me feel that he took a special interest in the value of my visit.
The grounds around the tomb are well kept and the interior design offers a reflective setting. The tomb is only minutes from the center of town and is another "must see" in Springfield, IL. I was in town on Sunday August 25, 2013 and I was able to fit this State Historical Site in with a second visit to Lincoln's Home NPS location very nearby.