“Not great. Not terrible.”

Hen House Family Restaurant
Ranked #247 of 491 Restaurants in Springfield
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to like this place more than I did. I root for the local little guy. It reminded me of the cracker barrel as far as atmosphere; a family owned, older cracker barrel. I had the skinny chick. Grilled chicken, veg of the day (peas today), and cottage cheese. None of this had any frills. Not that it needed it, its a boring dish and I am on a diet. It served its purpose. I still was a little sad when I saw canned peas and the tiniest piece of chicken I have ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I guess 3oz. Definitely less than 4. I did appreciate that the peas had no season or butter. I salted and peppered them to my taste and they were as good as canned peas could be. The chicken was plain too. I ordered a side of salsa to spice that up a little. My friends 'mexican' omlette looked good as well as the American fries that came with. It didn't seem all that mexican to me: onion, peppers, and cheese with chili on top.
I guess the moral of the story is if you are on a diet, order the skinny chick but expect a plate you EASILY could have made at home for around $1.50 per plate and will get you to your 3 o clock snack, but might not get you by til dinner.
One of my friends really likes the grilled cheese. If I am not dieting and go there again, i'd try the breakfast.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Staying next door and having driven a very long way that day, we thought it would be an ideal restaurant to visit. Before 'dining' - as a vegitarian I thought to walk over and look at the menu.. I am not sure the waitress understood what a vegitarian eats from her offer of choices. Still, we took a chance on two omlettes. Mine was adequate, my partners undercooked and the accompanying vegetables barely warm. It is very scruffy and certainly does not attract customers to return. It is little wonder (on reflection) that the car park was virtually empty all evening.

1  Thank Richard T
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We thought by the name of the restaurant, and the outside appearance that this was a chicken house, or a good place for chicken items. The only thing chicken that they had was fried chicken. It was very good. I would have thought that they would have had chicken and dumplings and chicken pot pie. They had neither of these.
We did not go there for breakfast but I have heard that they have very good breakfasts.
It was certainly not the cleanest place. The employees seemed to be there to do their job and not much more. Seemed like they had been there a long time and didn't care about service or cleanliness. We won't go back there.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had breakfast here while staying at the Motel 6 next door. Although it's never going to win a Michelin Sitar it was fine at a decent value price. The staff were maybe not the most elegant in the world but they did their job perfectly OK and sometimes with a smile on their face! I liked the touch of having a little peg puzzle game on each table. It actually became quite addictive while we were waiting for our food. It may not be the tidiest looking place in the world but I wouldn't put anyone off.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have lived in Springfield my entire life. Haven't been here since I was a small child, because no one ever wanted to go. Now I know why.

The atmosphere: quarter inch of dust on the curtains. The menus were disgustingly dirty and falling apart. You could barely see through the dirty plastic cover to see the words on the menu. There was a handwritten note in the restroom that said "We may not have time to clean the restroom so please consider the person using it after you." NASTY!!

The staff:I don't like to be mean, but the waitresses way to small shirt and 3 inches of plumber's crack was not very appetizing.

Worst of all, the food: they were advertising a "special". Baked chicken with potatoes, vegetables and cole slaw $8.95. The chicken had obviously been sitting in a steam table pan for days. The under side of it was a very dark burnt orange color, and it was dryer and chewier than beef jerky. I honestly don't know how a person gets the potatoes as rubbery as they managed to. Both of these items obviously were not cooked fresh. Between the time I ordered and the time I received my food they did not have time to overcook my food that bad. The cheap frozen mixed vegetables were barely warm and bland. I can't speak to the cole slaw since we didn't even receive it with our meals. I thought about sending my food back for something different until I saw the brown lettuce salad on the table next to me. By this point I had given up hope on getting a decent meal here.

3  Thank P P