“Delicious Horseshoe”

Mc Cormick's
Ranked #220 of 494 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I grew up in Springfield, and every time I go back to visit, I enjoy a horseshoe or two (we don't have them in NC). Tried McCormick's with a friend on my last trip, and it was very good - better, in my opinion, than D'Arcy's Pint. The cheese sauce had a definite beer tang to it, which I loved. Actually, I ordered a ponyshoe, and my friend ordered the full horseshoe. The horseshoe was not considerably larger for the increase in price, and the pony was PLENTY. I'll be going back on my next trip!

Reviewed October 20, 2008

I've been here twice now with mixed results. Both visits were for lunch and the price was reasonable each time (about $10 for lunch). The service both times was fine and the atmosphere is pleasant.
I got the special the first time which was a pulled pork ponyshoe. I was wary but decided to try it and found that it was really good. They serve the pork without sauce and have three different BBQ sauces on the table so you can add what you like. I don't really like BBQ but did find that the sweet BBQ sauce was really good (much to my surprise!) The other sauces were not good in my opinion, but please remember that I don't really care for BBQ.
On the second visit, I ordered a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich and french fries. If that had been my only meal here, I would not have gone back. The sandwich was not good (dry and flavorless) and I didn't even really like the french fries. My husband ordered the special (ribs) and was thrilled with them. He also ordered the Guinness Cheese soup and loved it as well. I think it's safe to say that they do BBQ well but I'm wary of other items. There is a lot to try (they have a broad menu) so I think you need to try a few different items to really get a feel for this place. We'll go again but I may just stick to the pork. :)

Reviewed September 22, 2008

Always excited to try a new BBQ place, but these folks should stick to deli sandwiches! None of the meat we had was good and they don't even have their own sauce. Some of the sides were decent but, for our money, it's well worth the trip across town to Hickory River Smokehouse where everything on the menu is great!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Quality Food and Clean Kitchen with professional catering, as a professional I am very empressed.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Casual eatery with excellent BBQ, great sandwiches including 'grinders', and service with a smile. Salads, soups, and more; great for take out too. Great value. Highly recommended.