“Just like a diner”

Sunrise Cafe
Ranked #67 of 494 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 29, 2014

They call this a cafe but it reminds me of the diners that used to dot the highways of America.
It's small with barely adequate parking for the 50 or so seating. We've been going to the Sunrise for many years and never disappointed. Our last visit was on a Sunday, about 8 in the AM. The tables are two or four top but when I asked for seating for 6, the waitress didn't hesitate putting two tables together. Seems there were three or four waitresses on the flour and looked like two cooks in the kitchen. Within about 10 minutes of ordering, two waitresses brought our food, Everything was hot and tasty and the coffee cups frequently refilled.
There are several ceiling fans to keep the air moving, However, the one over our table was pushing a too cool breeze. I asked if they could turn in down a bit and within a few seconds a tall cook was there to reach up and pull the chain to set a lower, more agreeable speed.
We've visited the Sunrise for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Always good service and good food.

1  Thank Les E

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The cheeseburgers are delicious and the corn beef hash is the best in town! Outdoor dining is available and the servers are awesome.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I were in Springfield for two days and on the morning we were leaving we were on the hunt for a nice little diner to eat breakfast. We stumbled across this place after driving around for half an hour looking for some place to eat. When we walked in we noticed that all of the empty tables had not been bused. We walked the length of the restaurant and arrived at the counter, which had about 6-8 seats, when the woman behind the counter told us to sit anywhere and someone would be by to clear the table. This isn't a large place and with about half of their 20 or so table/booths taken and the other half dirty, we found a table that looked "less dirty" than the rest. The waitress came over and started clearing the mess, dropped the rag on the table and walked away (we still don't have coffee at this point). I grabbed the rag and wiped the table down and waited for our waitress to return. She came back took our order and brought us some coffee. When the food arrived it was hot and cooked well. We both had eggs, hash browns and toast, I had bacon and he had sausage links. Aside from the fact that the waitress seemed to be in an extremely bad mood and none of the dirty tables had been cleaned the entire time we were there, the food was very good. However, just as great service doesn't make up for bad food, great food doesn't make up for horrible service and abysmal dining conditions.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you are looking for a great tasting double cheeseburger cooked on a grill, this is the place for you. The service is good and the burgers are even better. It is conveniently located on the south side of town and there is plenty of parking. So if you are in the mood for a great burger and fries, make sure you give this place a try.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

At the front desk of my hotel, I asked for a "greasy spoon". The clerk knew of several in the area, but none that was open that late in the evening (8:00 PM). So I checked the Internet, found the Sunrise, and drove the 6 or 7 miles downtown. The Sunrise was worth going out of my way!

Friendly service, just the kind of atmosphere I was seeking, very reasonable prices. I asked for a cup of beef-and-vegetable soup; nothing to write home about, and way overpriced.
But then I ordered the daily special: "spaghetti". The meat sauce was delicious! And the serving was very, very generous. It also came with a basic but very nice salad -- lettuce, tomatoes, a little red cabbage.
The daily special was all-you-can-eat -- but the first plate was really enough, and at $7.95 or so, I feel like I got more than my money's worth.

The next day I asked National Park Service staff at the Lincolns' Home for recommendations for another diner. It was unanimous: the Sunrise Cafe. But I'd already been there and done that, so I sought another place. I found one, but it didn't match the Sunrise!

1  Thank ComradeCamper