“One of a Kind”

Sunrise Cafe
Ranked #51 of 492 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place is one of my most favorite restaurants. They serve a "Slim Jim" sandwich (hot ham, Swiss cheese, dill pickles, and a special sauce) THAT IS THE MOST DELICIOUS sandwich I have EVER eaten. The chef got the recipe from a restaurant that closed. Try one for yourself. You won't regret it.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Dropped in on a Saturday about noon. It was busy! The burger was as I like my burgers, a bit on the thin side and crispy. Fries were ok, soup a bit salty but just fine. Walked less than $20 and comfortably full. The waitress called me "dear" and knew others there by name. I sure didn't hate it. I've paid alot more for inferior food and mediocre service at high class places.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

If you want to feel like you are at your own kitchen table this is the spot. Fast and friendly service.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I cant imagine why this place always has people. Its what a bachelor would cook for you if he didnt know how to cook. I went once ten year ago and hated it. My wife wanted to try it so we went. Yup, just as terrible as before. If you can cook at all, you can outdo this joint, at least for breakfast.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

But if it really was, all restaurants would be this successful. Sunrise Cafe is one of those places that is home grown. The owners have been at it for years. They've taken part in the Illnois State Fair, and I wouldn't be suprised if they've won numerous awards. The basic seating arrangement, downright recession conscious pricing, plenty of good hot coffee and a great tasting breakfast keeps one confident that the mom and pop joints really can survive if they try hard enough to please the customer. Sunrise is your basic no hassle, no bs type of eatery with plenty of options for the day's first meal. Even at 9:30, the place was full - but that didn't stop our server from making sure the coffee cup was always, and I really mean always full - even if you were drinking decaf. With a convenient location near the center of activity, Sunrise is my newest addition to a list of "regular" spots to visit on a frequent basis which earns them a big hearty Don Doodle endorsement.