“Decent food. Rude service.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Joe's Italian Pizza
Ranked #229 of 485 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Pizza
Chatham, Illinois
“Decent food. Rude service.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I chose this place for my birthday dinner. I love pizza. I Can't find great pizza in Spfd after living here 15 yrs. Decided to give it a try. went past and peeked in windows earlier in day to see what it looked like. (they were closed) so when I returned several hours later for dinner, I knew not to expect great "atmosphere" which I was ok with because I was looking for a place to enjoy a quiet birthday meal with my husband and two adult children. I just wanted great pizza, quiet setting and a clean restaurant with great service. I almost got 1 out of 4. It was quiet....until the VERY LOUD BANGING started in the kitchen 15 minutes before closing time as we waited for our check. This is a very small restaurant where every table is within 10 feet or so of the open-view kitchen. The noise was very loud and annoying. We arrived 1 hour before closing time and the waitress (appeared to most likely be the owner) was rude and unaccomodating. Never a smile. Short one-word answers to our questions even after we told her we had never been there before and were not familiar with the menu. It was clear she was annoyed we had showed up in the last hour of business on a Sunday night. They serve on styrofoam plates. I knew the decor was simple but the tableware was disappointing for a meal that cost over $40. We had to ask for our food to be boxed and then she only boxed part of the pizza. She clearly heard me say that we were short a box and walked off. She didn't offer or bring another so we had to cram part of the other pizza into the sealed container she had given us which meant it was unsealed for the trip home (about 20 minutes home). She knew we needed another container or at least needed our container resealed. (they use pizza cardboard rounders inside a pizza bag that is stapled closed). The place was clean. The pizza was ok but definately not anything nearly good enough to convince me to go back and deal with unappreciative service. Quality? The sauce is cheap and from a can. The bacon and ham toppings were grissly and more "fatty" than they should have been. They used cheap meat and cheap sauce ingredients. Loved that they carry Pepsi products but very disappointed that they only offered soda or water. Not good for our daughter who would normally have gotten a juice or a lemonade. Pizza is not good with water and she cant have soda. They do not offer any appetizers. We had to ask for parmasean cheese (commonly already on tables or brought out with food at pizza joints) which is fine but one very small container (1 oz contsiner) only HALF full of grated parmasean cheese (.50 oz) was given to us for one 16" pizza, TWO 9" pizzas and one poorboy sandwhich was all that they gave us. I had to ask for a second container. Back to service.....There was no "thank you" following our payment of the dinner. We were practically followed out the door which was locked before we even got inside our car. "closed" Sign flipped and lights out immediately.

Dont go. It's not worth it....pizza's not that good and they won't appreciate your business or the money that you spend. Plus you can eat on styrofoam at home.

“Best non-deep dish (Fratello's) pizza in town. The only place I'll go for pizza when I want a good one. Piled high with...”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Best non-deep dish (Fratello's) pizza in town. The only place I'll go for pizza when I want a good one. Piled high with cheese and toppings, EXTRAORDINARILY good prices and excellent food.

Springfield, IL
“Best pizza in Springfield”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Saying it's the best pizza in Springfield is faint praise, and there is a lot that annoys me about Joe's. The wait is LONG and they don't take credit, but it is the best pizza in town, and they pile on the toppings. When ordering take out, take whatever time they give you and add 20 minutes.

2 Thank atomzero
Springfield, Illinois
“Best Pizza in town- Old...”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Best Pizza in town- Old school baby!