“Better than I remember”
Review of Maldaner's

Maldaner's
Reserve with OpenTable
Maldaner's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 491 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th and Monroe
Description: Established in 1884, Maldaner's Restaurant and Catering is one of Springfield's finest restaurants. If you have visited The Old State Capitol, Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House or the State Capitol, you can imagine the wonderful celebrations Maldaner's likely was a part of at the turn of the last century and to the present day. Today, under the guidance of Chef-Owner Michael Higgins, Maldaner's respects tradition while offering the best of contemporary American fine dining in our historical setting. Chef Higgins features seasonal local and regional ingredients influenced by Mediterranean composition and preparation. Heirloom vegetables, humanely raised meats and Slow Food all artistically prepared and presented. Welcome to Maldaner's in downtown Springfield. We hope you enjoy your visit each time you dine at Maldaner's.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had been to Maldaner's some years ago and had been disappointed in the quality of the cuisine, so we somewhat reluctant to return when our cousins suggested going there for dinner. I am happy to report that it was a good choice. The setting remains elegant, the food good, and the service was acceptable.

There are newer reviews for Maldaner's

Reviewed August 21, 2013

If I'm in town for dinner I'm here, probably been here 30-40 times in the last 3 years. The service is very good; sometimes when they're slammed things get a little slower but it's never been downright bad, and I've never had a mistake or had to send something back. The food is nothing but excellent. You can tell the chef just has a way with food, especially when it comes to specials. Excellent dishes: Wellington, lamb, seared tuna, calves liver to name a few, but I often get a special. Pork belly appetizer is awesome, as is the pate. To me the consistency suggests high standards and a great kitchen staff, because it doesn't go out if it's not done right. I've only had dessert a couple times; they were good but not up to the level of the rest of the menu. Only bad thing I can say. Love this place!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We enjoyed dinner here on a Tuesday evening after visiting the Lincoln Museum, an easy walk of a couple of blocks away. We chose to sit inside but they had nice tables outside as well. Our waiter was a friendly young man who saw to our needs in every way. The delicious fresh warm French bread was refilled a couple of times without question and my ice tea was similarly refilled. I ordered "Chicken 2 Ways" and found it perfect, filled with flavor and cooked just right. My wife ordered the crab meat salad and it too was very tasty. Our desserts were a nice ending to our meals. The restaurant was completely full when we left at 6:45, both inside and on the street. Downtown is very quiet after work hours so street side dining is not filled with the rush of traffic. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience here.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Good food, drink and service. Ate outside on a great weather evening after visiting the Lincoln Home. Visiting a friend who lives in Springfield, good choice in respect to food, service, ambiance!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were very disappointed in our lunch here. We read about the signature shoes in the Springfield guide. After visiting the Old Capital Building we stopped for a meal. Three of us ordered the shoes and no one finished them. They were smothereed in the cheap Velveeta fondue type cheese. The ham was very salty and there was toasted bread under the meat. It was most unpleasant. It was the poorest presentation of a meal that we have had in a long while. The service was slow as they were under staffed. The Pepsi tasted of aluminum. There were plenty of french fries.

This from an award winner???