“Old World Elegance”
Review of Maldaner's

Maldaner's
Reserve with OpenTable
Maldaner's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 494 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th and Monroe
Description: Established in 1884, Maldaner's Restaurant and Catering is one of Springfield's finest restaurants. If you have visited The Old State Capitol, Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House or the State Capitol, you can imagine the wonderful celebrations Maldaner's likely was a part of at the turn of the last century and to the present day. Today, under the guidance of Chef-Owner Michael Higgins, Maldaner's respects tradition while offering the best of contemporary American fine dining in our historical setting. Chef Higgins features seasonal local and regional ingredients influenced by Mediterranean composition and preparation. Heirloom vegetables, humanely raised meats and Slow Food all artistically prepared and presented. Welcome to Maldaner's in downtown Springfield. We hope you enjoy your visit each time you dine at Maldaner's.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Chef Michael Higgins provides an incredible dining experience at Maldaner's located in Springfield, Illinois. Chef Higgins has led the local food initiative among restauranteurs in central Illinois and supports Slow Food Springfield in its efforts to promote a sustainable local food system. Maladaner's specializes in seasonal foods such as morel pie and butternut squash ravioli, as well as traditional dishes like Beef Wellington. Maldaner's has an old world elegance that adds atmosphere to its excellent service and menu.

1  Thank Deanna G

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Maldaner's is in downtown Springfield, and in a great location. The restaurant has a nice ambiance, but is a little dated. First, I had the lobster bisque, and it was very delicious, while my husband had the warm goat cheese salad, also delicious. Then, I ordered the Beef Wellington, and it was just average, as the crust was soggy and a little burned. My husband's steak was good, but the veggies looked and tasted as if they had come out of a bag and been microwaved. I might try other Springfield options, before I come back. I definitely recommend for soups and salad though.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Business travel often leaves you without many options. But we checked Trip Advisor and selected Maldaner's. it was also a recommendation from a local. Three of us all had a very good meal. Service was professional, attentive, and seemed knowledgable. Soup of the day (pumpkin squash) was a hit and the Cesaer salad was very fresh with what looked like homemade croutons and lots of Parmesan (yum). Entrees included pistachio crusted salmon, a breaded veal, and quail stuffed with sausage. Everyone enjoyed. I had the salmon was more than impressed with the quality.
Would definitely advise for a business dinner. Note however I have no other experience in Springfield.
Only issue we have is one participant parked in an underground lot about one block away. It was posted as closing at 7:00 pm but the person parking thought that meant he could get out after 7:00 just that the attendant would be gone. No dice! Car stuck there overnight. Good thing our flights were not out until the next day. He asked the host when we arrived at the restaurant who said he thought it would be fine. They should have said they didn't know instead of making him think it would be okay.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We ate here when we visited Springfield to see the Lincoln museum and tomb (which were also fantastic by the way). The food was great, they even cooled down the pasta for my kids so it wasn't boiling hot, while our prime rib arrived piping hot on a hot plate. My kids did seem to be the only children in the place, and there was no kids menu, but I wasn't really expecting that anyway as its such a nice place. The only thing that wasn't perfect was the bathrooms, they were far away and in a bit of disarray, but that didn't spoil anything for me. If you only eat at one place in town, this place is certainly the one to pick!

1  Thank Siren394
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The food was delicious, but over-priced. The ambiance was gorgeous, but our server was a little too snooty. It is very old and has a very quaint feel.

Been to Maldaner's? Share your experiences!