“Nice Idea but Over-Priced”
Review of La Calia - CLOSED

La Calia
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: LA CALIA FOOD AND DRINK Brunch-0 Lunch- Dinner Full Bar, good selection of craft beer Wine Please see lacalia on facebook for upto date info
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The restaurant has the right idea: local vegetables, local pork and beef, vegetarian options, interesting seasonings. But we got off to a bad start, the cheese plate (described as "assorted cheeses"). I guess for $7 I expected more than two small slices of white cheddar and a small wedge of brie. Nothing else. We asked for and got crackers. A half-dozen Townhouse crackers in a bowl--$1.75. Really? Really.

My wife had the pork. The portion looked large, but when she cut away the bone, fat, grizzle, and over-cooked portions, the portion was small. The cucumber dill sauce was a nice addition.

I had the pasta, which was very tasty, well seasoned, and filling. I added the scallops. That was a mistake. I ate three scallops and left the rest.

Good veggies. Great salads. Quirky, almost bizarre beer menu. Pretentious and over-priced. No reason to go back.

1  Thank PHL25
There are newer reviews for La Calia

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The server recommended the Reuben and we ordered it. It was big enough for two and contained PLENTY of corned beef on good bread. It came with soup or kale salad. My partner chose the bean soup and said it was good.

They offer a large selection of beer & wine. I had iced tea.

I'm really glad we did NOT buy subs at the museum.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Ran across this adorable little place while visiting the Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library. I really wasn't expecting something so charming and unique given the area looked a little sparse. Loved finding a place with locally sourced food and unique offerings. My only complaint was that our waitress was friendly, but less than knowledgeable--but perhaps she was new. I took the black bean soup and prosciutto and three cheese panini, and it was just as good as I could have hoped. My boyfriend ordered the artichoke salad sandwich, which was also perfect.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Driving back home to Chicago we wanted lunch. There's isn't many places to eat on the way. All I wanted was my eggs scrambled and the chef wouldn't do it?? I mean seriously this is not San Francisco?? This is Springfield IL? I don't even get that attitude at any if the restaurants in Chicago. I eat out every day and every day I'm in a different state. And I've never run into this attitude?? Again this is Springfield IL? I'm in New York once a month and I can get my eggs any way I want. I only stayed cause my boyfriend wanted tacos. But this place is NOT worth the visit!!! It doesn't even deserve a one star from me!!!!

3  Thank pammundell
LaCalia, Owner at La Calia, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2015

And as I remember two things about this day and you
1) your boyfriend loved his tacos and
2) scrambled eggs was not a option. If its not on the menu no matter what city your in you should never assume that you can order it.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

La Calia is a welcome addition to the restaurant scene in Springfield. You are greeted outside the restaurant by a huge, colorful rooster named Floyd. And then served well with great food. I had the vegetable beef soup which was flavorful. It reminded me of the delicious simple soups in Europe, tasty, not overpowering with all kinds of spices but just meaty and tasty vegetables. The salad was delicious supported by a tasty red pepper dressing. My friend had the black bean soup and fish tacos which he rated as superb. Later he ordered the chocolate chipotle ice cream. It was delicious with just a hint of spicy kick. The ice tea was flavorful and intensely brewed. The service was excellent. The interior of the restaurant is so pleasant and friendly, just like the server staff.

2  Thank oxfordcook