“When looking at the Lincoln sites don't miss this gem by Frank Lloyd Wright”
Review of Dana-Thomas House

Dana-Thomas House
Ranked #4 of 64 things to do in Springfield
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We didn't even know this house was in Springfield or open for tours. We were told about it by the information guide in the visitors center so walked the couple of extra blocks from Lincoln's house to this Frank Lloyd Wright home. The home is beautiful and filled with many of the original pieces. The tour guide was a volunteer but very well informed. Well worth the $5 suggested donation to view the house. Many of the original pieces were sold with the house in the couple of changes in ownership over he years. The state of Illinois which now owns and runs the house has tried to buy back pieces as they can that have come on the market. The home is beautiful and equally as nice and informative a trip as I have experienced in Oak Park, IL where many of his homes and studio are present. The day we went was dark and cloudy and so the house was dark as well. I suspect that if you can visit on a nice sunny day that the house is even more impressive. They have started to decorate for the Christmas season now and we were told that the home is beautiful to see when all decorated after the beginning of December. We were explained thought that some items came off display for the Christmas decorations so maybe visiting at another time you can see different things in the home as well.

1  Thank Chicagocoy

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a great place to witness Flank Lloyd Wright's work at some of its greatest. I went here with some family and my 2-year old daughter...and although it is an interesting visit, it isn't really kid friendly. Overall, though, the place is truly amazing! The house has something like 15 floors and is like a maze. Definitely need to stop by here if you are passing through.

Suggested donation for a family is around $10-$15.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Execelent preservation to be shared by visiters and local persons. The historical benefits to all is a benefit to our community. Being able to visualize history is such a meaningful experiance.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the first time I have had the privilege to see a Frank Lloyd Wright house. It was stunning and we were lucky to have a guide that was very knowledgeable about the house and had even written a book about Susan Lawrence Dana which I purchased and read later. Her life story is remarkable. I would highly recommend this tour and the short movie that gives a good background to the house with many old photos through the ages

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been to many houses by FL Wright (Fallingwater, Hollyhock, etc.) and this is my favorite - the furniture is original and the restoration is excellent.

Been to Dana-Thomas House? Share your experiences!