“A great interactive exhibit.”

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 59 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: In a stunning combination of scholarship and showmanship, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum immerses you in Lincoln's world and time. Journey from a rustic Indiana cabin to the Executive Mansion in the nation's capitol; follow the fate of America's 16th president and share the joys and sorrows of a family - and a nation.
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A great interactive exhibit.”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum is an interactive exhibit for the whole family. Be sure to leave enough time for each of the shows. The traveling exhibits are also interesting and I look forward to seeing the one of Annie Liebowitz coming up this year.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank mallorynp

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“A Must See for All Ages in Springfield”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

A bout every other year we bring our family and our current exchange student to the Abraham Lincoln Museum to get a glimpse of American History, and it never fails to disappoint. The films and exhibits are highly informative, moving and entertaining, and the volunteer docents are friendly and chatty. Allow about 3 hours to see everything. The current display of letters commemorating the 150 year anniversary of the Gettysburg address are interesting and touching, especially the letters from the current and former Presidents. We are just sorry that the Annie Lebowitz photography exhibit isn't open yet.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kim S
Macomb, IL
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Took my breath away”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Move over Disneyworld. Central Illinois can match you step for step when a hologram-based showed is offered. Judicious and economical use of holograms kept the young visitors very engaged. The briefness of the presentation on the use of historical items was just enough to amaze our easily distracted 9 year old granddaughter.

The granddaughter also enjoyed "Mrs. Lincoln's Attic," the hands-on area for children. That attraction is pretty much geared for toddlers through pre teen.

All personnel, whether security, docents, gift shop employees, or ticket takers were very helpful and polite.

Parking is very convenient although a little expensive, but way less than one would pay in a major metropolitan area like Chicago. ($.75 per hour, max $9.75)

For out of town visitors I would recommend planning a a couple days to take in other Lincoln sites in downtown Springfield.

We also visited the Presidential Library, immediately across the street with no admission fee. We took in a special exhibit called "The Boys in Blue."

There is a small eating area run by Subway. My husband tried to get a cup of coffee but there was only one employee on duty. Maybe during the peak summer months more employees are available. Our visit on January 3 was on a very very chilly windy bright sunny midwest day. (not for the faint of heart)

The basic admission fee for adults ($12) is expensive but we got a break with a military ID.

Because of the admission fee and the limited availability of snacks/food I gave the ABL and M a very good rating.

Visited January 2014
Bettendorf, Iowa
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very nice place at Springfield”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was visiting with my family at Springfield. Il and for must I needed to visit Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. This place was very interesting and with a lot information that I didn't know about Abraham Lincoln. I like the Lincoln family like show in the picture.. Very nice place if you are at Springfield, you must go to Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum.

Visited October 2013
Iowa
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Expensive and pretentious, but superficial and boring”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I've visited several Presidential museums. I was particularly impressed by the Lyndon Johnson museum in Austin and the Truman museum in Kansas City. The Lincoln museum was heavily hyped, but it was the most disappointing Presidential museum I've visited.

Everything here is high tech, often unnecessarily so. They seem preoccupied with HOW they're delivering their message, rather than the content of that message. This isn't a place you can just slowly wander and read all the descriptions on the displays. For as large as the place is, there's surprisingly little information. I really didn't learn anything I hadn't already found out by the time I was in junior high. I really found the small displays the National Park service put together at the Lincoln Home historic site far more interesting and informative.

Admission is $12 (and as we waited in line we had to endure a pitch to become a member), while almost everything else in Springfield is either free or bears a token "suggested donation". I really didn't think the museum was worth what they charge. It comes across as pretentious and full of itself and really seems to do a disservice to a great American.

Visited December 2013