“Excellent museum, especially for Kids”

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 64 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: In a stunning combination of scholarship and showmanship, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum immerses you in Lincoln's world and time. Journey from a rustic Indiana cabin to the Executive Mansion in the nation's capitol; follow the fate of America's 16th president and share the joys and sorrows of a family - and a nation.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

As many have said, it is not like Springfield, IL just happens upon you. This is a destination and I decided to plan my business trips to come through this city, as it has been a place I've wanted to go to since I was ten years old.

The museum is new and has the latest in gizmos to keep even the casual museum goer interested. The two multimedia shows are the strongest I've ever seen. These are no movies....they are the latest in holgographic and interactive storytelling and no one will be disappointed. I watched to see how little kids were observing these historic biographics and they were riveted--no small tasks for the little ones. Very, very impressive.

The other part of the museum kind of takes place in a clockwise walk around the perimeter of the building starting wtih Lincoln's log cabin all the way through to his casket lying in state at the old Capitol. While it was very intersting and comprehensive, I felt it was a bit kitchy with many dioramas displaying key points. These figures were quite lifelike but after a while I felt it was "ho-hum."

I just didn't think there were enough authentic artifacts and I wanted to see his clothes, his kids' clothes or many more somethings "actually worn or touched" by him or the family.

They did have an original Gettysburg address and other writings, but these rooms were so dimly lit that I had a hard time reading them. I know it's to preserve them, but i'm just sayin'.

I'm still glad I went--but I will give Ford's Theatre and the Peterson House the edge in all things Lincoln. When you hit the museum at Ford's you actually see the clothing Lincoln was wearing when he was killed...the gun used to kill him...you get the picture. Authentic, raw, etc.

This is stil worth checking out--and give yourself three hours in the building...

1  Thank 3Dtravelpro
Write a ReviewReviews (3,737)

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I LOVE this museum!!! I have been to DC and I am telling you this is a hidden jewel!!! If you have the chance to go here while in town you will not be disappointed. It will most likely take you 1.5 to 2.0 hours to see the full place but you have to go here. There is also a Subway restaurant here if you are hungry. It was a block from the Old State Capitol.

1  Thank Motadean
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very interesting, interactive, hi-tech, informative museum for all ages. Must see the show: "Ghosts of the Museum" holographic theatre. The life-size statues/models of the family and others, are so life like --especially the one of Mary Todd-Lincoln in her mourning dress. We saw an exhibit on medicines and weapons of Civil War--so glad for all the medical advancements since that time. The museum shows the good and bad things that happened in his life; support and non-supporters. There is a children's room, the Attic. If you buy a membership, you get free admission (2 or 4-depending on membership level) and discount at the gift shop and a couple other gift shops in the area, read the details. You'll need to jot down show times at the door to each, as they don't give you those at entry (this is the only negative). Photo taking only in the main area, but a nice book in the gift shop has many photos. We did not visit the Presidential Library (separate, and around the corner, only open M-F). There is a Subway, but the lines were long, so we walked a few blocks to Café Moxo (afterward). We were there on a Friday, any several school groups came through. We spent 3 hours at the museum.

1  Thank Rose W
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is by far the most interesting, interactive, informative and creative museum I have even been too.

Even if you are not a Lincoln fan, you will enjoy this museum.

In one exhibit you hear Lincoln giving a speech and everyone is boo-ing him. Made me stop in my tracks. You only think of what he accomplished not of what he had to go through to do it.

There is a great gift shop and we found easy and close parking.

Well worth your time.

2  Thank iwanttoseeamerica
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Museum is worth five hours. It is a place where history comes alive. Healthy Subway for munchies. But the museum is a work of art......designed to engage both aged and youth. A sure winner.