“Not to be missed!”

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 57 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: In a stunning combination of scholarship and showmanship, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum immerses you in Lincoln's world and time. Journey from a rustic Indiana cabin to the Executive Mansion in the nation's capitol; follow the fate of America's 16th president and share the joys and sorrows of a family - and a nation.
East Peoria, Illinois, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We visited the Lincoln museum on a Sunday, parked in the convenient parking deck, and walked across the street to the Visitor's area in the Train Station first, where a well-informed lady described all that there was to see and gave us maps. We found out there that one can park for free at metered spots on the street on Sundays. We spent about 3 hours in the museum and were fascinated by the mix of sets and technology that took us through time and gave us great insight into the life of Lincoln. It was very educational, yet fun and entertaining all the time. The flow of traffic through the museum was excellent and even though there were a lot of visitors that day, we never felt mobbed or rushed. You can truly go through it at your own pace. There was even a room in which children could play to get rid of some of their energy. Although we chose to eat lunch outside at the train station at a picnic area, there is food available in the Museum. After the museum, we walked down to the Park Service visitor's center to get free tickets to tour Lincoln's restored home. I recommend getting tickets early, as the tickets were all given out by 2pm that day. However, there are 2 other restored homes in the village area which one can just enter and read informative material about restoration of the buildings, about the Lincoln home, and about life during Lincoln's time there. There are a lot of other historical things to do in Springfield, so we'll go back as one day was not long enough. The museum is the best museum I have visited in a long time.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Newnan, Georgia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The Best Small Museum You Will Ever Find”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It is a hip pocket museum that will satisfy everyone from the novice to Lincoln scholar. Room for room, I would put it up against the Smithsonian or any other museum. Be sure to take in the "Ghosts in the Library" presentation. It uses holograms to come to a lump in your throat conclusion.

After the museum, there are plenty of good places to eat within easy walking distance. Most of the other Lincoln attractions, such as the old state capitol, the Lincoln Law office, and the Lincoln home are also within easy reach.

Try to go to the museum when there are no school children there, lol!

Isn't it amazing that Lincoln did not get a presidential library until the 2000s, when modern presidents seem to start planning their libraries almost before they are elected?

Jasonville, Indiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My youngest grandson loves all things about President Abraham Lincoln so I took all 4 of my grandchildren for a 3 day stay in Springfield, IL learning about our former president. The museum was an excellent learning and fun experience, very well organized and interesting. We spent approximately 3 hours there but if you stopped and read everything in the exhibits, several more hours would be necessary. I also thought the price of admission was very reasonable. I would recommend the library to everyone traveling to Springfield, IL as a must stop.

Visited June 2013
Springfield, Illinois
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Abraham Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have visited the Museum a number of times with various visitors over the last few years. My grandchildren loved it, my friends loved it, and my adult family loved it. There are special 'shows' that give you a a real feel for the times and the exhibits are quite interesting. It's great entertainment and educational for the whole family. Like I said, I've been there a number of times and look forward to going again.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank qultng1
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome History!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fantastic displays and dioramas. Knowledgeable staff. Great gift shop. Everything you wanted to know about Lincoln, and then some.