Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 57 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: In a stunning combination of scholarship and showmanship, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum immerses you in Lincoln's world and time. Journey from a rustic Indiana cabin to the Executive Mansion in the nation's capitol; follow the fate of America's 16th president and share the joys and sorrows of a family - and a nation.
Walnut,Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A must see!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Anyone that is going through Springfield should take the time to go to the museum. It takes you through the years of Lincoln's life. There are two shows that are included and are a must see. The ghost in the library is not long at all but is a must see. The volunteers are all very friendly. Take the time to see the museum!!!

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Small town museum comes up BIG.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We only visited the museum in this two-building complex. Anyone visiting Springfield should fit this in to his or her itinerary. Lincoln's life and times, as well as our nation's history at the time are meticulously recreated. The information presented about Lincoln's role in both the abolution of slavery and the Civil War is facinating.

Chicago, Illinois
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Prepare to get emotional”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm not necessarily a Lincoln buff or Civil War-era buff, but I had been really wanting to visit this museum for some time, since I heard it was wonderful. It lived up to its reputation. I think people even uninterested in American history would find themselves under this museum's spell.

I learned so much about Lincoln's presidency. Of course everyone learns about the Emancipation Proclamation and whatnot in grade school, but I never knew the nuances of his term in office - I learned some at this museum. I was also not knowledgable about Lincoln's wife and children, but I learned all about them during my visit.

The exhibits take you from Lincoln's childhood in a one-room log cabin to his death. It was fascinating. The most poignant moment for me was seeing one of his iconic stovepipe hats on display: it sent chills down my spine. Here is one of the most important figures of history, and here is his actual hat right in front of you with his fingerprint on it - very astounding. Also, the exhibit describing his death and funeral are incredibly moving. As I said, I'm not a Lincoln buff, but I had tears in my eyes in the room that replicated his funeral.

If you're in or near Springfield, go here. You need about three hours here to see everything. My husband and I drove three hours from Chicago just to see it, and it was well worth it.

1 Thank Sarah Z
Battle Creek, Michigan
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Perfectly fun way to learn history!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I were very pleasantly surprised at this gem of a museum! There were two theaters where short historical films/reenactments were excellent and interesting ways to learn history. As with any museum, a person can get as much or as litle from it as they'd like, but the way this was set up ensured something for all age groups and interests. I particularly enjoyed the room on Civil War medicine and spent a couple hours in there! There were lots of actual memorabilia from Lincoln, like his top hat and gloves, as well as other many other objects and photos from that era. Would have preferred a day to visit when there were less school tours, but definitely worth a visit!

Williamsville
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Great museum!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We loved everything about this museum! We thought we already knew quite a lot about Lincoln, but i have to confess that we learned a few new things. This exhibit is very well done!