“IF YOU LOVE HISTORY DON'T MISS THE ELIJAH ILES HOUSE”
Review of Elijah Iles House

Elijah Iles House
Decatur, Illinois
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“IF YOU LOVE HISTORY DON'T MISS THE ELIJAH ILES HOUSE”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was the best tour of a historical home, you could possibly ask for. It is a spacious, beautifully restored home, that was the first in Springfield. I thought the portrait above the fireplace looked like Wayne Newton of Las Vegas fame. I bet they were related somehow.

Our tour guide was a very educational, informed, gentleman, and was very enthusastic, and passionate about the history of this home. He knew the small details and pointed them out to us. It made us feel like we were somehow in an inner circle of knowing the past secrets of the home and it's owners. He explained the porch ceiling was painted blue, because it kept the wasp from boring in the wood and building nest. The wasp thought it was the sky. Wow I didn't know that. Then he showed us the basement and a wonderful museum of the Illinois Watch collection and history. This man was extremely intresting and made this one of the best tours I have ever been on. There was a lot more to tell, but I'll let you find out for yourself. DO IT.

Visited April 2012