“Great for our family with two asthmatic children”

Staybridge Suites South
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Palatine, Illinois
“Great for our family with two asthmatic children”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were getting very discouraged as we went from motel to motel looking for one that our asthmatic children could be comfortable in. Then we found this location. We were very pleased with the accomodations, the staff, the free breakfast, and even the free evening food (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). They went out of their way to make sure we could stay an extra night.
We were on the second floor and had no issue with smoke. We did not use the pool or workout facilities. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Nevada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I spent one week in this hotel on business and I could not sleep on the bed. It was a rock. I ended up sleeping on the pull-out bed from the couch. I liked having the full fridge and kitchen with a good coffee-maker - and the couch for sitting. I would have stayed there more if I could handle the bed. I am still going there for business and this was back in December.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Sherri W, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We understand that the bed in your room was too hard for you to sleep on and we appreciate that you continued to stay with us through the rest of your time in Springfield. We would love to have you try us again as soon as we have completed our remodel later this year.

We appreciate your honesty and your business. Thank you again and we hope you will try a Staybridge Suites again soon.
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed one night and had a very nice stay. Clean facility, very quiet for a weekend night. Generous free breakfast with a large assortment of choices. Used the workout facility - small but adequate. Large pool and a hot tub available, but we didn't use. The hotel is designed for longer term stays - kitchen in room, laundry facilities on site,etc. - but works well for a weekend visit as well. On the outskirts of town in an area that seems to be under development so visiting local attractions entails a bit of a drive. Friendly front desk staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luuluu
New England
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've stayed frequently at Hampton Inns, and have usually been satisfied. This was my first stay at a Staybridge, and if I travel to this area again, I think I'd be inclined to stay next door at the Hampton. During our visit, a water pipe broke and damaged the rooms across the hall from us, so that there was a great deal of noise and mess during one day. I was impressed by the speed with which the construction crew demolished the room (the ceiling had to come out), but they left a noisy fan and dehumidifier running in the hall overnight. The staff did not talk to us about the problem, or offer to relocate us.

I'll second the comment about the hard bed - if you don't like a firm mattress, don't stay here.

The room was generally due for a renovation - the TV's are ancient, and some things (like the shower curtain rod and closet door) were falling apart.

Breakfast quality was a notch below the Hampton norm; it was noticeably better during the week than on the weekend, when the hotel was busier, and the breakfast room staffer was occasionally overwhelmed. We didn't have a chance to try the evening offering, which the Hampton lacks, and which might matter to you (it smelled pretty good, and I understand the beer was on the house, too!).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank opti-wan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear opti-wan,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Northern NJ
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times while visiting family nearby and have always liked the spacious suites, the pool area and the breakfasts. But our last visit gave us another reason to like this hotel.

When we packed for home after staying here at Thanksgiving 2012, I forgot a gold chain that had huge sentimental value for me. I realized this at the airport (O'Hare -- not exactly a hop skip and jump away). I was heartbroken and called the hotel. They were very nice and looked in the room but didn't find anything. I was terribly sad, but I figured they'd done their best and I thought that was it. A couple of days later, I got another call from the staff -- and they'd found my gold chain! The manager decided to move the TV armoire in the master bedroom to check behind it (helped by the new tenants of the room, who got into the spirit of the thing), and there it was. I can't begin to describe how happy I was, and how impressed that they went to so much trouble. So beyond the convenient layout of the two-bedroom suites and the nice breakfasts is a staff that has a lot of heart. I can totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very good - had a Studio Suite that was just right for a weekend visit. Its a little hard to find and get to; the hotel is located on the south end of Springfield, about 8 miles from downtown, hidden by a couple large car dealerships. The hotel was very clean, good breakfast and friendly staff. No complaints about the mattress, as others have commented.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher K
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Unfortunately my stay here wasn't so great. A few points:

* The mattress was extremely hard, just sitting on it I could hear/feel the springs. It seemed very old, I woke up with back pain almost every morning.
* The pillows were small squares
* The tv was very old and positioned in an angle where watching it from either the couch or the bed wasn't possible (where else am I supposed to watch it)
* The shuttle wasn't dependable (it would ride only if there were 2 people at the front desk, which a lot of times there weren't)
* The cleaners did fairly little cleaning and provided no new soaps/shampoo's etc even though I stayed for several weeks.

Good points:

* The breakfast was great: Assortment of fresh fruit, bagels/muffins etc.
* Free dinner (If you don't mind unhealthy meals)
* Staff at the front desk was nice
* Free washer + dryer

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Paulatjuh
caps8, Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your comments so that we know where we need to improve, as we do our very best to exceed our guests expectations. I apologize that our beds and tv's were not satisfactory for your stay. The great news is that in the beginning of 2013 we will be going through and extensive renovation. All of our beds, pillows, TV's and funishing will be getting replaced. In the meantime I am taking your feedback about our shuttle service and limited housekeeping concerns and will make certain that those will be improved upon. I hope that you will choose us again in the future and Thank You for choosing the Staybridge Suites in Springfield.