“Great concept, needs some time to age well” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Obed and Isaacs Microbrewery and Eatery

Obed and Isaacs Microbrewery and Eatery
Ranked #4 of 482 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chatham, Illinois
“Great concept, needs some time to age well”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I recently met some girlfriends after work for dinner & drinks at this new local microbrewery. It was my 2nd visit. The location is great for workers and tourists in the downtown area. It is within walking distance from the major local tourist attractions (ALPLM, Lincoln's Home & Hoogland Center). Parking is tricky. You will likely need to park along the border streets as the spots right in front of the building fill up fast. Parking is metered during the work weekday.

The majority of their local brews seem darker and I prefer lighter beers, but, they do offer one that they make themselves so I ordered it and they were out. They also serve an Irish Cider that I like and isn't common among other Springfield taverns, so ordered that and they were also out. At this point I was forced to order a drink that I could have gotten anywhere else or even made at home. That's never really why I go to a microbrewery but it was that or order one of the dark ales that I'd tried my previous visit (they do have a sampler that is worth it to determine whether you can handle the dark stuff) and knew I wouldn't like.

Dinner choices are unusual if you aren't prepared to order the standard burger. They serve a range from lamb to 'bangers & mash'. I recomend checking out their website/menu before you go. http://www.obedandisaacs.com

Being a vegetarian I ordered a salad (Asian Chicken Salad w/o the chicken). It was ok - nothing spectacular. Next time I would try the Veggie Burger. There is a salmon dinner on the menu one of my friends ordered and it looked good but she wasn't sure it was worth the price ($15). She also had to order a drink from the bar (b/c they were out of the light ale) and the bartender made it wrong, twice.

I think it was just ill-fated timing on our group's part they were out of the lighter ales and cider. I haven't heard this happens regularly, but, definitely wasn't expecting it after my 1st visit was good enough to give the place another try. (Although that trip was drinks only.)

I think the atmosphere would be fine for families during the day, but, after about 6pm on the weeknights OR weekends it seemed pretty "adult only". I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying it - its worth it if you are visiting Springfield from out of town - but if it were me with children younger than 12 I would stick to the earlier hours. They do offer a very basic Kids Menu. There is a small outdoor patio.

Overall, its worth a try but be prepared to sample the local brews and have an alternate plan for a drink.

• Visited May 2012

Springfield, Illinois
“Excellent Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This restaurant is very good - located in a historic building, remodeled, and turned into a microbrewery/restaurant. I had the Eggs Benedict with Spinach instead of the usual ham - and my son had the Fish and Chips. Both were excellent. We had 2 sampler orders of 3 beers each - including the three which were brewed in their own microbrewery.

• Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Great burger and beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

This microbrewery in a 19th Century building, just a block from the Abraham Lincoln Home Park, is quite a find. Their large range of micro beers is excellent, and the burger was one of the best I've ever had. Overall a top-notch experience. Family-friendly as well, at least at 5 pm.

Visited May 2012
Decatur, Illinois
“Delicious Food, Resonable Prices.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

My friend took me to Obed and Issacs for my birthday. It is located in the historical area of Springfield in an old mansion home. It is spacious and has a brewery there also.

I love Ruben sandwiches, and this was the best I've ever had. I also tired a cup of soup with it that I had never tasted before. It was called, Beer and Cheese Soup and it was so mellow and good. My friend loved their root beer and , the salads are really big, plus good service. The young man, (very nice), that served us suggested we tour the brewery while we were there and got us a very nice guide. It was very educational and fun.

If you want an excellent dinning experience, try this hidden treasure. It may take a while to get a parking place, but it's worth the time, you'll see.

• Visited April 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“LOVED this restaurant. Great food - adorable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We just happened upon this adorable little restaurant on a Sunday afternoon whilst visiting Springfield with the kids. The center room had an adorable banquet and the menu had so many options everyone was happy. Definately do the fabulous soft pretzels. The soy ginger dressing on my salad was amazing! My husband tried the chili and it was really greasy but the server had warned him. Can't say enough great things about this adorable restaurant, the food and the great location near everything!

• Visited March 2012