“Horrible service and food were both subpar”

Nick & Nino's Penthouse Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Nick & Nino's Penthouse Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 491 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th
Description: Perched 30 stories above Springfield's capital city, Nick & Nino's Penthouse Steakhouse offers unparalleled food, ambiance and service. Our small intimate dining experience is perfect for a romantic dinner, entertaining business client or a night out with a group of friends. We serve only the finest certified Black Angus aged steaks along with a selection of mouth-watering entrees. At Nick & Nino's we treat every occasion like it's a special occasion.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Unfortunately my dining experience was subpar. The reasons for the disappointment include:
Cons:
1. We arrived early for the first reservation to find the restaurant very open with few customers seated. We were seated in a four top table in an open restaurant furthest away from the views and next to the entrance where server traffic was flowing rampantly and to a point that was uncomfortable (please note that window seats were open). When I asked if we could sit next to the window for a better view and away from the flow of traffic, the (not sure of her position but I would assume she was the head waitress) Denise insisted that this was not possible. Her reasoning was that was just not allowed. No further explanation. We asked how a person could have a window seat and she noted that window seats are not guaranteed and that if we even requested prior to arriving that the seats would not be guaranteed. But she insistently apologized throughout the dinner and noted that she would add the preference for a window seat on my profile but could not guarantee a window seat. Does that seem odd? I am still confused by her inept ability to provide us with proper seating…
2. The water tasted like stale tap water with a slight after taste, the hollandaise for the asparagus was not hollandaise, this mystery sauce was a cream sauce with a butter taste, and the lobster was chewy.
3. The waiter did not ask once how the food was, we felt ignored
4. The buser had constantly asked us multiple times if we were finished and we felt rushed with the meals.
Pros:
1. Steak was cooked perfectly.
Unfortunately we had a horrible experience at this restaurant and would not recommend it. We felt like second rate customers.

4  Thank Food G

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My husband and I had a phenomenal meal and excellent service here. We were greeted by a delightful hostess who was witty and happy to seat us. Our server, Rick Ramsey, was equally delightful. What a friendly and knowledgeable gentleman! He kindly delivered and described each course and always had a warm smile. Our food was fabulous. Kudos to the chef! My husband had the lamb chops, and I had the smoked BBQ chicken served under a cloche with fresh raspberries and wild rice. Divine! Oh, I must add our appetizer was a delicious crostini topped with mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto and a thin slice of apple with a balsamic reduction. Yum! We were so impressed with our entrees, we had to try dessert. It did not disappoint. Our server showed us the desserts of the day on an IPad. Each was very tempting and beautifully presented with unique toppings and flavors. My dessert was an outstanding double layer mousse of lemon and raspberry atop a sponge cake with drizzles of mango and raspberry sauce on the plate. What a gem to find in Springfield! All courses were perfect size. No over the top portions. And the price point was great! I also need to mention the young man filling our water glasses, who was very polite and friendly. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Sheila M
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I'm from Chicago and have been to my share of great restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised to find this here in Springfield, IL. The food is good and is reasonably priced. I think that the staff have an appropriate knowledge of the menu and can make recommendations with wine pairings. I will come here again.

2  Thank David A
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our daughter and son-in-law made a reservation at Nick and Nino's for my husband's birthday. . From the moment arrived until we left everything was topnotch. Friendliness and customer service is the name of their game. Our waiter, Rick (with the tiny mohawk) was the best waiter we have every had the pleasure of serving us. He was attentive but not overly so. His timing with drinks, appetizers, main course and dessert was perfect. Everything we ate was prepared perfectly. There are not enough words to describe our dining experience. We look forward to another trip to Springfield to dine at this great restaurant and would gladly make the 3 hour drive for wonderful dinner. Way to Go Nick and Nino's.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We celebrated are 7 year anniversary and we had a great time . Our hostess Denise was extra nice. Our waiters assitsant Chris was friendly and fast to help with anything we needed. The food is as good to look at as it is to eat. They made us feel like we was king and Queen for the day. It was like a once in a lifetime thing that most dont take the time to do for themself.But I highly recommend the everyone should go there and have the experiance too.