“Mostly Great”

American Harvest Eatery
Reserve with OpenTable
American Harvest Eatery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 491 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I hope this place survives; it's got a very inventive menu, and interesting, different, and delicious dishes. Might be a little too daring for Springfield, though. We had brunch, but I would love to return for dinner. Lots of things I'd still like to try. The only miscue was a gap between concept and execution in my tomato salad, in which the tomatoes tasted like they were from a Minnesota supermarket in December. Can't imagine they couldn't find better from an Illinois farmer in August. If you're going to play the "locavore" card, you need to get good stuff. And in a farm state in August, that shouldn't be hard. Pretty Spartan decor and surroundings, but service, wine list, and selection were all great.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I was in town for a conference and stopped in for dinner. I tried the 6-course chef's tasting menu and was not disappointed. Every course was great! The only blah course was the first, heirloom tomatoes with olive oil and feta. I only rate it as "blah" because of the deliciousness of the later courses. The roasted cauliflower with curried hummus and Spanish almonds was one of the most interesting dishes I have ever tried. Love the farm to table concept. Excellent, attentive service. The price for 6 courses for the portion size and quality felt like a bargain.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

What's available is what's on the menu. It's that simple. And tasty. Interesting menu presented by servers conversant with the day's selections. Everything is local to the area, the state or the region, so the menu says. Not a cheap eats place for sure, but certainly reasonable. Looking forward to dinner to test the menu again. My sandwich, made with two kinds of cheese, was tasty -- and the choice of a salad or fries (I chose the excellent salad) is encouraging. This could become my favorite restaurant in town. Easily and quickly.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

some reviewers have criticized small portions. I find the menu to be interesting and healthy portion sizes. If you want a small plate, don't expect a lot of food. Servers are friendly, but not too friendly. I love to come here and see what new innovations are on the menu. I recently had the summer corn chowder and it was very good. I have also try the apricot and ricotta honeypot and the polenta fries. Both very good and tasty!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We have been here several times and always look forward to the new menu options. I had the Summer Cesaer Salad and Roasted Cauliflower with Curry Hummus which was just delicious. Good atmosphere and service. Perfect for a special occasion.