Homestyle Inn & Suites
  • Pool
Mansion View Inn(Springfield)
Shamrock Motel(Springfield)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2009

This motel was not very clean, the furniture was old and shabby, and the room smelled. Even so, I might have stayed there again, until the DRAMA started. I am a night shift worker and was trying to sleep during the day, which is always a gamble at any motel. There was a lot of noise out in the hall, people screaming obscene names, slamming doors, and threatening violence. I tried to just ignore it, but it kept getting louder and louder. Then, a voice right outside my door said "I'm coming to get you, [--]" I went to the door to look out the peephole and as I got to the door I heard someone say "She's in 129!" I thought, wait a minute, I'M in 129! I was pretty scared so I called the front desk. When the manager came to my room I told him what was happening, and that I was sure it was the people in the next room. I told him to please do something about it, but keep me out of it. He went next door and...BROUGHT THE WOMAN TO MY ROOM!!! He brought her to my room and introduced her to me by saying "This lady has been complaining about the noise, and she's afraid of you." I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. The woman was loud, obnoxious, and frankly, scary. But she tried to act nice to me, telling me that she was sorry, but she was mad at the manager's wife (who she proceeded to call all sorts of names-in front of him- and threaten to run her down in the parking lot next time she saw her. I was so upset at this point I didn't know what to think or do, also, I was exhausted and only had a few hours to sleep before my first night at my new assignment. She told me that she was sorry, and that if they got too loud to just 'bang on the wall, we'll shut the [--] up." I said "I don't want any trouble, I'm just trying to get some sleep before work." So, the manager left and she went back to her room, where her boyfriend began beating the crap out of her and slamming her into the wall. Of course I didn't bother to bang on the wall myself, it seemed rather pointless. I thought about calling the police, but I was kind of scared to do anything. When I left for work I was sure someone was going to jump me from behind or slash my tires. I could not believe the way they handled that entire situation, and needless to say I would warn anyone that staying there could be hazardous to your health.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank tatnurse
Reviewed November 21, 2009

The Homestyle Inn was initially hard to find due to the rain storm and the Inns outside lights were not on. Check in was easy, room was clean, everything was operational. Breakfast was good with variety of waffles, bagels, muffins, donuts and danish. Assorted cereals (hot or cold) with 2% milk, juice (apple or orange), coffee (regular or decaf), fruit (apples or oranges). The TV in the room worked and worked well with a good limited choice of cable channels. The bathroom was clean enough with enough towels and soap and shampoo. The face bowl outside of the toilet and shower room was clean with a drinking water filter. The room had adequate closet space for me and mine. The refrigerator and microwave worked wonderfully, so much so that we went to the "Shop and Save" to ensure a restful retreat with snacks. The cleaning staff was timely and very helpful every morning. I do recall the lack of a "Do Not Disturb" sign for the door. The parking lot had plenty of spaces with good security at the entry doors to the Inn. The front desk staff was helpful when they could be found. I WOULD stay again and I WOULD recommend this Inn for others despite the very brightly and cleanly kept place up the street. The only drawback was the trains and ambulance sirens that you could hear all night long and the typical thin walls.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We chose this hotel on the basis of its location and price, and we were not disappointed with either of those (and would have been even happier if we'd got the lower walk-in rate showing on the sign outside!). It's about a 10-minute walk south to the Capitol and about 15 minutes east to the Lincoln Library/Museum. The Lincoln House/complex and Old Capitol are a bit far, though, and we drove to those. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.

Basically, the hotel itself was so-so /fine, ie acceptable, but nothing to get delirious about.. The room was quite large as was the bathroom but the general decor was rather tired - it looked like it needed a good refurbishment. Worst, the two lounge chairs provided were, frankly, filthy. We asked for them to be changed but were told this could not be done as ours was the only (Queen?) room that had them. Really?

The breakfast was basic - cereal, bread, waffles and coffee.

The hotel has a convenient location, and a reasonable price for that. But it needs a shot in the arm.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Clean and Shabby
After driving through some seriously bad weather, I arrived late at Homestyle - about 9 pm. The desk clerk confirmed that I wanted a smoking room, and then gave me a room key card. He then told me that I was on the second floor in the back building. I had reservations for a month and I got stuck in a non-smoking room (although my smoking preferences were clear and reiterated) in the back at the top of the stairs. Not particularly charming. The view out of my streaked but not dirty window was of a parking lot. I could see the capitol building from the parking lot, though! It is within walking distance and although I didn't walk, I would have felt fairly comfortable doing so. The room was clean in a run down motel kind of way. I felt comfortable with the scratchy old towels - just like Mom used to wash in the wringer-washer when whites went through first - and then the towels got hung on the line. They were clean in a scratchy but not pretty kind of way. I really wanted a hot bath after my bad trip, but couldn't quite force myself to sit in the tub. That's okay. The drain stopper on the sink and tub were both non-functional. Housekeeping straightened up nicely seemingly without touching a thing I brought in with me. There is a room with a bath vanity just inside the door, a reasonably comfortable bed and a TV that works. There is no refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer. If you want a smoking room, bring your own ashtray. They'll pop you right into a room displaying a large "No Smoking" sign to please those of us who think we're never going to die. Given the price, I would stay there again briefly. Two nights were more than enough for me this time, though.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Normally I stay in the Abe Lincoln but they were booked. Homestyle Inn was clean and comfortable. It also had more amenities. Wireless internet is free (the Lincoln doesn't even have it) and the waffles for breakfast were excellent and convenient. The room has an extremely clean fridge and microwave which is great for 2-3 day trips. Plus, they went out of their way to help me. And, the walk to the Capitol was shorter! And it is much cheaper. When I come to Springfield to lobby legislators, this is where I am staying.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business