“Close to University of Illinois @ Springfield - UIS”

Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a softball tournament located nearby. I ended up getting a really good deal through priceline compared to the hotel price. We stayed in a king size room, which suited us just fine. There was a microwave, refridgerator, and a coffee maker in the room. The breakfast was included in the price of the hotel and was wonderful! It had your typical, plus french toast, sausage & gravy biscuits, a wafflemaker and more.

The pool area was kept up really nice. My husband was a fan of the hot tub, but I thought it was a little too hot.

Overall, we were pretty satisfied with the hotel. The only downside was the staff at the front desk seemed overworked and a little cranky. However, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
baymontsp, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to post your positive hotel experience on a website. Please note that your reviews are extremly important to us as they make us educated about how we can improve our service. We will like to thank you again for choosing us. We are extremely sorry if you felt that frontdesk employee was little cranky. During the weekends some unusal Guest demands do drive them crazy but We will again make sure that the frontdesk employees remain helpful and down to earth.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,364)

Reviewed July 16, 2010

The hotel was very clean. staff were helpful. Our only problem was our mattress was very uncomfortable so we tossed and turned. Teenager slept like baby her mattress seems ok. Lincoln home national park and lincoln tomb well worth trip and were free.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry to hear that you did not like the mattress quality at out hotel. If you get a chance Please give us a call and let us know your room number or your confirmation number so we can go back to the room and check things out with the mattress, In 2008 all the old mattresses were replaced per Baymont Standards but if you still did not feel comfortable we will do a firm research on ourside forsure and make sure that any other guest does not feel the same problem. We want to thank you for the business and choosing us out of all other availble choices in Springfield IL.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I tried to do as much research as possible on Trip Advisor before making hotel reservations in Springfield. Our stay was from May 27 to June 1 and was to visit family and tour the sights. Our number one "must have" was a pool for our daughter so that she could swim after a long day of seeing the sights. It is a plus that they also served breakfast to help on the budget. Here is a list of items in no certain order that may help with your decision.

- Breakfast was continental! The waffles were good but they only had one waffle maker that worded of the two they provided. The waffles are make and serve yourself.
-They do provide biscuts and gravy. They gravy is kept warm in a crock pot and the biscuts are prepacked and look like they were likely purchased at a "wharehouse store". There is cereal, microwave oatmeal, prepackaged danish rolls that have been cut in have, juice, milk and coffe. VERY small breakfast area.
-There is a Cracker Barrel and a McDonald near by.
-Pool is indoors but has glass all around it and a glass ceiling. NO air in the pool area but there are sliding glass doors that open for a breeze. Hot tub is small. We used the pool everyday. Plenty of pool towels but they are very small towels.
-The rooms were okay. The carpet is getting worn out and the bathroom looked like it was hardly wiped down each day.
-The beds were very comfortable and clean. Much cleaner than the actual room.
-Internet was good. We didn't have any problems.
-TV was horrible!!! VERY OLD and the color was all but gone on ours! Who cares that they offer HBO or another movie channel if you can't see or hear the news or weather!
-Walls are thin! We were easily able to hear conversations in the hall and when we were in the hall we could easily hear into the rooms as we walked past them.
-There was a mention that Ottis Spunkmeyer cookies were baked and served in the afternoon around 4pm. Never saw a cookie. No one at the front desk seemed to know anything about this.
-When we checked in we asked for the 3rd floor. Usually the floor no one wants. We were told they could not change our room because it had already been assigned.
-Fitness Center located on the first floor by the pool. This was another reason we chose this hotel. My husband works out on a daily basis and was looking forward to a work out while my daughter swam. This is not a work out room! It has on old tread mill and the center was only open once the 6 days/5 nights were were their. He wasn't really able to go for a run outside because of the hotel location.

Overall this is an okay hotel. The Holiday Inn Express, Hampton and Fairfield are nicer and closer into the city. This hotel is on the far south side of town and it makes seeing New Salem almost and hour drive each way.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
baymontsp, Front Office Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2010

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your business and choosing us out of all other availbale choices in Springfield IL. It breaks our heart when we see even a single unhappy guest at our location. Every single day our trained staff works on their best to keep every single guest happy but sometimes situations do get out of our hands but we are sorry about that.

We have made notes of every single concern you have expressed. In Breakfast room one of two waffle makers is allready fixed which was not working at your time of stay. Our fitness room is open 24hours a day 7 days a week. You probably missed the sign posted on the door that fitness room stays locked to prevent under age kids to get in the fitness room as there are possbilities that they may get hurt if no one is watching them but whenever you feel like working out you could have grabbed a key from the frontdesk.

But afteranything We are sorry again for you having just an avg. stay at our place. In future if you comeback to Springfield IL, Do give us one more chance to see if we have learned anything out of your concerns or not.

Mihir Tals
Asst. Manager

Reviewed June 1, 2010

I spend over 200 nights in hotels a year for my work. I just stayed at this place for 17 nights. Let me tell you that this is an extremely outstanding hotel. Staff was always ready to help me whenever I needed them to make copies or to send a fax or even to print directions. Housekeeping cleaned my room everyday with fresh linens. I personally like to have fresh linens every single day even after staying for long time. Some hotels nowadays are avoiding giving fresh linens to guests who are staying on longer term but this hotel certainly is not one of them. Breakfast bar everymorning was filled with fresh items every morning. I must say to other people that if you choose to stay in weekends you may want to eat your breakfast early as both weekends I was there, they were full house and between 8 AM and 9 AM all the people make it madhouse. I dont blame hotel or staff for that but during weekdays its really a pleasure to start a day with Biscuits and Gravy & hot waffles. Their Free Wi-Fi worked fine for me and I did use their pool couple of times and I loved it. Over all It was a $150 level comfort for half a price. Rooms are in great condition.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2010

This is ofcourse not a luxorious place to spend a quality time but at the same time this is really a good alternative place when other 3 star/4star hotels in town are sold out. On my trip to Springfield IL, I had to choose this place as others were sold out. I did read reviews before staying here and I am not dissappointed at all. Place is fairly very clean, kept up, updated and comfortable. Prices are also in high 60s or low 70s. Compliemntry hot breakfast is a good start for a day indeed and staff really gave personal attention to Guest needs.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I travel on business alot. My wife says too much. Anyway, I've had the pleasure (or displeasure) of staying at a bunch of different hotel chains at a variety of locations. I've stayed at some outstanding hotels (The Broadmore in Colorado Springs : ) and some real holes in the wall (won't mention it). Generally speaking, I've been satisfied with the Baymont brand but my stay here in Springfield has since changed my opinion. Although I frequently use Tripadvisor to plan my trips, very seldom do I post my opinions. Because I based my stay here at the Baymont largely in part to the reviews posted on Tripadvisor, I feel obligated to share my undesireable experience with others who use this site as the foundation for deciding where to stay.
Room #125
#1 - Sink in the bathroom was plugged and didn't go down.
#2 - Shower head (handicapped room) had a crack in it that squirted water all over the place outside of the shower on the floor.
#3 - The TV was seriously old and had a horrible picture. In fact, it was too blury to read the TV guide channel.
#4 - I left my room at 0715 am and returned at 2:45 pm and it still had not been serviced.
#5 - The pillows were horrible. Really, really, bad. Same with the mattress, it was visibly sagging in the middle.
#6 - A call to the front desk to complain resulted in the phone ringing for a half dozen times without being picked up.

If there were one one or two issues with the room I probably would have gone to the desk in person after not being able to reach them on the phone. But because of the scope of the issues, I decided to put the do not disturbe sign on my door, roll up a bath towel for a pillow, and hit the sack for the night.

I will say that the hotel is clean. It smelled great. The staff I passed in the hall were all smiles and greeted me pleasantly. There are a couple of places to eat close by and downtown Springfield is only about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I chose to stay at this Baymont Inn because of the low price and I was not disappointed. The desk personnel were friendly and the room was clean. The breakfast was very good with waffles, biscuits and gravy, cereal, oatmeal, bagels/toast, pastries, yogurt, and fresh fruit. The indoor pool is not huge and it seemed a bit cool to me, but my kids loved it. There always seemed to be plenty of towels available too.
I appreciated the free Wi-Fi in the room and was pleasantly surprised to find both a fridge and a microwave in the room also. There was one minor annoyance in that the sink faucet was backwards (cold water on the left and hot water on the right) but it did not detract from our stay. The shower was nice and hot. There were not a lot of restaurants nearby, Cracker Barrel next door and a couple of fast food places, but we were only there for two nights and did not need much more than that.
I feel that this was a great stay at an excellent price and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family