“Family style - fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Joe Gallina's Pizza & Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 482 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Zweibruecken, Germany
“Family style - fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

This restaurant is a thriving spot in downtown Springfield. The atmosphere is family-style pizzeria, red, white, and green - Italian colors - complete with a jukebox and hanging lamps.

There's plenty of seating, with two dining rooms (one wall even has a great Sicilian mural!). We chose a booth, to camp out during a rainy afternoon. First we enjoyed a pitcher of beer, while playing cards. But the more we smelled the delicious food, we decided on sharing a famous Gallina pizza.

It was delicious! We ended up with more than we could finish!!

Best of all, it is Joe HIMSELF, who took our order from behind the counter. Everything was reasonably priced (although the table menu did not match the newly updated prices, listed on the sign above the Order Area). There are large coolers full of all sorts of yummy Italian sodas, uices, and mineral waters, as well as domestic and foreign beers.

The TRULY BEST part of our experience was after we explained to Joe, he ensured that no chemical sprays would be used during our visit, due to the fact that I have a severe respiratory condition. Talk about service ABOVE and BEYOND...!?

We'll definitely be back, next time we visit Springfield!

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank lauramaymuse

Lafayette, Indiana
“great find in the downtown area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

Got a tip from a local to go there. Had a great spaghetti dinner with homemade warm bread and butter. Was delicious and price was right. Portions are large so be prepared!
Will definately go back if we are in the area again.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank thefamily3
tmggoffe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do Not Eat Here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

My six year old daughter and I had dinner here, 3/20/2009. My daughter wanted pizza for dinner and I asked for a recommendation from our hotel and the desk clerk gave me several menus. I reviewed them, and they seem to be the most authentic Italian of the one’s I reviewed. I also liked that they had mussels on the menu. When you enter the place you have to stand in line to place your order, there is no table service. Once you have placed your order they do not give you a number, so that the people who deliver the food know where to find you. It took them 50 minutes to deliver a slice of CHEESE PIZZA and GARLIC BREAD! I had also ordered the mussels which came after having waited over an hour. In all fairness the restaurant was busy, however they do not seem to know how source orders so that you do not have to wait a long time for something that should be fairly quick to make. When my mussels were finally delivered they did not give me flatware with which to eat them. I went up to the counter and asked for flatware and they told me they did not have anything that was clean. They offered me a flimsy plastic fork and spoon. That did not work. They took perfectly good New Zealand Green Lip Mussels and ruined them by covering them with spaghetti sauce and then overcooking them. This place is a disaster. Do not go there with hungry kids. The wait is entirely too long!

1 Thank tmggoffe
Phoenix, AZ
“Shocked they are still in Business.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

I have tried the Pizza at Gallina's 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years. It has always had this funny taste to it that I cannot explain. I know people who like it but plenty who don't. The few I know that do like it, I wouldn't ask for a restaurant recommendation from either though.

2 Thank Aka_BluIz
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The Gallina speical is best made by Vito at the Capital City Shopping Center location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008