“Great small local Zoo!!”

Henson Robinson Zoo
Ranked #19 of 64 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 300 animals from Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America call this popular zoo home.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My daughter was 18 mo old when we took her here. We have grown up around this area so both me and my husband are familiar with the zoo and have grown up coming to it often. So it was exciting to take our daughter here for the first time.
We went during the week and there was hardly anyone there. My daughter had fun walking around and seeing the monkeys... especially the baby monkey! She got a big kick out of him :)
They also have giant turtles there that are really cool and she enjoyed that as well.
While we were there we noticed they were doing alot of updating and probably getting new animals so I am excited to go back this year to see what they have added.
They do have black bears which are neat but pretty much the only big animal there.
My daughter fed the ducks which was fun to watch.
All in all great zoo and we will be going back year after year since it is very affordable and close by.

1  Thank Kimberly T

Reviewed April 27, 2013

One of my grandkids and I were looking for something to do one afternoon and we decided to visit the Henson Robinson Zoo. It was far from visiting the St. Louis Zoo but it was close, clean, and the animals are well cared for. There is also a nice playground near that finished off the pleasant afternoon. There is something to be said for a short, one-on-one encounter with small children sometimes instead of making it a long, drawn-out day. We are from Jacksonville so anything we do in St. Louis is 2 hours there and 2 hours home. This is close and just right for a morning or afternoon away. The zoo keepers were friendly and informative also.

1  Thank moodymolly
Reviewed March 21, 2013

OK... I live in an area where there are big zoos that you see hundreds of species and can spend all day. I went here (3rd time) with my 11 year old and 16 year old - and spent 90 minutes. It cost under $20 for me, my wife, and 2 kids. We had no crowds. We got to talk to the zookeepers. We even had the attention of some animals. A wallaby saw us and decided he didn't want anything to do with us and hopped away. The lemurs followed my son around. The wolverine ensured that we knew he meant business. The barred owl carried on a conversation with my daughter.

I think this zoo is a little better for younger kids - yet the joy of talking to a zookeeper was big for my 16-year old. The ability to feed the goats and have the lemurs almost play with him was great for my 11-year old.

In the summer there are a few more animals; we went in March. Yet... we had no crowds and saw it all.

2  Thank DFC0213
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went to the zoo in March after a snow...most of the animals were inside which was to be expected. It was a quick trip, but even in the snow we managed to spend 45 walking around.

1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to the zoo on 2/9/2013. It was very disappointing. Many of the displays did not have animals (i.e., sign for tortoises, but no tortoises to be seen). Many of the animals appeared very malnourished (especially the wolf). The animal's living quarters were destitute (all mud, no grass or plants), and it was overall a pretty sad experience. We left feeling like we had just supported a zoo that mistreats its animals and does not care for them overall. Very disappointing.

2  Thank sjagirl05