“Buffet of a different kind”
Review of Holy Land Diner - CLOSED

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: downtown lunch spot
Joliet, Illinois
“Buffet of a different kind”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I enjoyed this buffet of mideastern/mediterranean food. It is not a cuisine that I am real familiar with so I appreciated being able to try tastes of different things and then go back for more of the ones that I liked. Everything seemed freshly prepared. There were some vegetarian entrees but meat ones, too. My aunt declared the roast lamb to be the best she'd ever had. Only a block away from the Illinois State Museum and with a small parking lot if you're driving here, we would definitely stop there for lunch again.

• Visited August 2013

Skokie IL
“Disappointingly different from all the reviews”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The buffet was the only option when we arrived on a Friday evening - and a State Fair weekend on top of that. We were told the buffet is always the only option. It WAS NOT ONLY VEGAN/VEGETARIAN - this is an important issue and one review below is so misleading. There was very little substantial food for a vegan/vegetarian. Here was the buffet: a reasonable but not totally fresh salad, some tabouli (light on the grain), two lukewarm soups, really wonderful hummous, a couple slices of pita and a bowl of pita chips, and (all lukewarm): an eggplant dish (not much left), plain white rice, something else I can't remember, and two trays of roasted meat and chicken. Aside from paying just under $10 for salad, pita chips, a bowl of good but lukewarm lentil soup and hummus, I was truly concerned about how long the food had been sitting out at this lukewarm temperature - state law requires 165 degrees. Very, very disappointing - and now really worried that I cannot trust Tripadvisor reviews.

• Visited August 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Yum Lunch”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Best all you can eat lunch and the tabohai is great! So have some tea and serve yourself. Salads, gyro meat, pita and soft serve ice cream.... With butterscotch sauce, YUM.

• Visited July 2013
Usa
“Favorite in Springfield”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Whenever we are in Springfield, it is mandatory that we have lunch at the Holy Land Diner. The lunch is a reasonably priced buffet, and is the best mideastern food we have ever experienced.

• Visited July 2013
Springfield, Illinois
“The only place in town that is totally Vegetarian and/or Vegan”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I particularly like the bake califlower. Everything I had here was delicious. This coming from an omnivour.

Visited May 2012