“Just What You'd Expect from Candlewood”

Candlewood Suites Springfield
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Boonville, Missouri
“Just What You'd Expect from Candlewood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I walked in wearing a Dunder-Mifflin T-Shirt (from "The Office") and the front desk clerk started laughing and telling me that was the coolest T-Shirt she had ever seen. I liked that personal connection she offered me when I arrived. She quickly checked me in. The only thing I didn't like about the check-in process was the wheel-of-fortune that I had to spin to see which Priority Club amenity I was going to get. (I'll just take my free bottled water, thanks!)

The hotel had an amazing workout facility that I used, and also FREE laundry machines (I didn't know Candlewood did FREE laundry). If the workout facility wasn't enough, they also offered complimentary passes to a nearby (<1/2 mile) health club. Well-played, Candlewood!

The room was very nicely appointed, with a larger-than-I'm-used-to desk, with PLENTY of electrical outlets (the lack of outlets is one of my pet peeves with hotels, but this one delivered stellarly!), and a TV that allowed me to hook up my laptop via an HDMI cable.

A fridge, a stove, and a microwave were all part of the kitchenette, and the bathroom was large and contained all the amenities I'd expect.

You know, the only reason I would hesitate before returning to a Candlewood again is that they only let you earn five points per dollar (instead of ten like at most Priority Club brands). It's a great property and I'd return again if staying in this area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott D
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your last stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will pass along your feedback to our team. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your room as well as our cupboard. We hope to have you stay with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
White Hall, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

The candlewood is new and spacious. This hotel had a great staff as well. The small but ample fitness room on the first floor. There is also free laundry services for guests which I found to be very useful. There is a "cupboard" which sells sandwiches, soda, and other items one might have forgot when packing. The prices were around the same as a convience store. A bottle of soda was $1.50 which I found cheap for a hotel. The rooms were wonderful. There is a stove top, dishwasher and microwave in each suite. There is also pots, silverware and other kitchen utensils that on might need. The only downside is that there was not pool at this facility but we knew that when we booked the room. If you attending an event at the Crowne Plaza you could stay at Candlewood for less than half of the price. Close to many restaurants as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review for Candlewood Suites. Our team strives to make your stay with us a great experience. I am so glad you were able to utilize our free laundry facilities and our fitness center. Our Candlewood Cupboard is there for our guest's convenience and thank you for the positive input there, also. I will pass your review on to our team - it is always a pleasure to hear positive feedback! Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Candlewood was awesome. New, so VERY clean. Perfect for business travel or extended stays. Nice kitchen with ammenities, comfortable bed, and bathroom nice sized. Staff was very friendly and helpful when we made requests. Business center available and exercise room with laundry (helpful with extended stays!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rudegirl13
Thank you for your nice review of Candlewood Suites in Springfield, Illinois. It is always a pleasure to hear positive feedback. I will pass this review on to our team so they can review. Thank You again and we hope to see you again soon.
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Candlewood Suites was a good choice for our trip to see Springfield's historic sites. The hotel is not downtown, but it is in a quiet spot close to major roads and some good restaurants. I originally booked three nights at the new Residence Inn next door which provides breakfast, but when I compared costs, I realized that Candlewood was $22 a night less with no breakfast -- it was a no brainer to cancel Residence and rebook at Candlewood. We took breakfast and some dinner items with us and saved money by utilizing the kitchen in our suite; however, we did enjoy a good dinner at Smoky Bones one evening.

Our queen suite was perfect for a 3-night stay. After spending all day sightseeing at the Lincoln sites, statehouse, and executive mansion, we returned each evening to relax in the more than adequate space. The hotel is fairly new and well maintained by friendly staff. My only complaint would be that the work space was a little too close to the kitchen, but I guess that's due to the fact that the work table top also doubles as an eating table.

The TV had decent reception. We had a little trouble staying connected to the wireless internet, but after borrowing a cable from the front desk, we encountered no further problems. We would certainly consider the Candlewood brand in the future, especially for a multiple-night stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
gmcandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. It is our goal to provide a positive experience for all our guests. I will share your comments with our team. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you again.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Large rooms with kitchenette. Very clean and new. only possible drawback; no pool. Bed was comfortable.

The hotel is not near anything specific but the way the roads are designed in Springfield nothing is more than 15 minutes away from anything else.

Very nice for the money

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BenNic02
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I appreciate your generous feedback and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Down South in Dixie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We found this Candlewood to be a very nice place to stay in Springfiled. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, with a kitchen. The staff is very friendly, and helpful. The location is quiet, with several restaurants nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RebelYell33
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us and comment on it. I appreciate the feedback and will share it with our team. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Springfield.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband, I and two of our children stayed here recently for two nights. It had pros and cons, but overall was a good hotel.
Pros:
Kind, friendly, responsive staff
Easy to find location, right off highway and in a group of other hotels.
Large bathroom - I loved having counter space next to sink, as well as drawers and cupboards to store toiletry items
Pretty well-stocked kitchen. It had place settings for four, several pots and pans, a stovetop, microwave, full-size refrigerator, some extra items likes storage bowls, strainer, serving utensils, dishwashing liquid and one dishwasher detergent tab, towel, dishcloth and potholder.
Free coffee in room
Cons:
We had an issue with our heating/air conditioning (directions were for wall unit, which apparently didn't work, as it had been switched to floor unit).This was resolved quickly by friendly staff, but we spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, since directions were incorrect.
Floor - the kitchen floor was sticky. It didn't actually seem dirty, but more as if it had been washed with something that left a weird film. We had to wear shoes the entire time. It even bothered my husband, so I know it was bad (he never complains).
Room ventilation - granted, it was a very, very hot weekend, but the room seemed somewhat musty. It was the worst place to breathe the entire weekend.
Towels - small gripe, but it was annoying to only have three towels in a room for four people (after we took showers, we exchanged the three towels for four fresh ones at the desk, and again, staff is friendly and helpful).
Bathroom fan wasn't working (we forgot to report this, so staff didn't have a chance to fix it).
Big comfy leather chair, but had a nail/sharp edge sticking out in back, which gave husband a very minor injury.
Table setup - there isn't a proper table (which you can see in the pictures) - just a little desk area. There were only three chairs, and only one was a good height for the table. There was the big, comfy, chair; a regular chair, and a wheeled office chair. They were all comfy enough, but it would have been nice to sit down at a table and eat breakfast.
Free coffee is just one pod of regular and one of decaf, so it will only last you one morning if you want regular.

So, overall, it's a fine hotel, depending on what you're looking for. I think for four people, especially because we ate several meals in the room, I probably would have sprung for the Residence Inn by Marriott next door. However, the price was about half of the Marriott, so that's a big difference. For just two of us, or if we weren't planning on spending much time in the room, it would be a great deal.

On a separate note, the Google map directions to downtown took us through a pretty seedy, scary, run-down neighborhood. There are several other ways to go, and it's a short trip, so don't go with the first set of directions!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TJ18
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you for the detailed feedback on your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issue you had with the air conditioning as well as with the chair and will address this with our chief engineer immediately. The kitchen floor should not have had any residue from the cleaner and I will coach our housekeeping team to ensure floors are properly mopped. Our goal is to not be just a great deal but also exceed the needs of our guests particularly in the areas of cleanliness and maintenance. I appreciate the time you took for this review and will share it with our team.