“Excellent Stay. Great Location.”

Carpenter Street Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Stay. Great Location.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Highly recommended if you are visiting Springfield. It is conveniently located within walking distance of St. John's Hospital, the Old State Capitol and the Lincoln Museum/Library. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We used their shuttle service several times, but also walked to restaurants and sites in downtown Springfield. The rooms were very clean and nicely appointed. There is a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot in each room and breakfast is served in the lobby each morning. I used the workout facility which was very nice (a little small but typical size for a hotel). We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TKF60
Rebecca S, General Manager at Carpenter Street Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello from the Carpenter Street Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Very nicely appointed "basic" hotel. Seems to have been recently remodeled, and everything was very tastefully done and in good shape. There were a few things I think might affect a person's decision to stay here, so here they are:

The wireless internet access, while convenient to use, was pretty slow. I ran an online test and it showed download speeds of 948Kbs, which is pretty pokey these days. It worked fine, but you would need to be patient if you need to access lots of data. They also advertised the fact that a password isn't needed to connect, which actually concerns me because it makes it easy for someone to sit in the parking lot, log in, & to try and access people's computers.

There was no iron and board in the room. The front desk quickly supplied one, but it was one of those tiny "table top" boards, which was extremely hard to use. If they can't supply them in every room, then just spend $30 and get a full sized one for the front desk.

The seating area for breakfast seemed kind of small, but I never had a problem finding a place to sit so maybe it's sized properly.

I had to cancel my stay and checked out at 1:30pm. They charged me for that day, because "their system charges the days first thing in the morning". While I can't complain too much since I did check out after their posted time, when I stayed at the State House Inn a few blocks away, they let me check out in a similar fashion without charging me for the day.

All in all, though, a good value and a nice environment, so I would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BudAndPam
I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share your feed back with us. It's truly the only way we can make sure we are meeting the expectations of our guests.

Safe Travels
Rebecca
Mount Vernon, Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I wanted to express my deep appreciation to the staff of the Carpenter Street Hotel. It was such a blessing to have had stayed at such an establishment during a very trying time in my own life. The staff deserve an A+ in customer service. As far as cleanliness, of the hotel, that also deserves an A+. What should have been a one night stay, turned into several due to my mother's health. I have stayed at many of the top named Hotels and Motels around. I would choose this hotel over any of them. The hotel GM, Rebecca, does an outstanding job. The customer service amazed me for everyone I encountered was top notch. My room was spotless, no dirt or grime in any corner and everywhere I looked it was the same. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who will be in the Springfield area. Thank you again.
Sara (room 310)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sara B
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was spending just one night while returning home, and wanted to find a place close enough to walk to the Lincoln Presidential Museum and Library. This fit the bill perfectly! They beat the lowest price published by $5.00 even. Clean, comfortable, affordable in the right location. Felt safe, as I was alone. AM breakfast was a little sparse, probably due to the showing up near the end.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Beth L
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We arrived late in the evening after a long day of travel, and got into our room very quickly. The front desk was friendly, and made sure we were taken care of, including giving us directions to a number of different places we wanted to get to the next day (grocery store, Starbucks, ...). The room was very clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was very good. We highly recommend this hotel, and will stay there again on our next visit to the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KSFamilyTraveler
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I will start by saying the staff is friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. The hotel is clean and rooms are spacious. I am writing this review because of the impact they had on a very difficult day. I am a single mother with a daughter that had surgery at the hospital nearby. Because of all of her dr appts I can only work part time and struggle to pay for gas to her far away dr appts. The hospital paid for my 1st nights stay since we had to check in at 6:30am and live hours away. We got back to the hotel just in time to check out, or I would be charged a nights stay. The manager happened to have been in the hotel shuttle that picked us up from the hospital, and saw what distress we were in. She offerred us another night, on them. We were able to nap and pull ourselves together before a long drive home. It is not often something like this happens and I will always think about the generosity of the manager when I look back on one of the hardest days of my life.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Heartfelt4
Oak Brook, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed 3 different times here while relative was in hospital at Memorial. Very clean with few small exceptions (spots on bed cover-but you shouldn't sleep on those anyway!--and few hairs in the bathroom); they always seemed to be cleaning the front lobby so the hotel smells very fresh and looks updated and neat. Coffee/tea in front lobby all the time. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and always seem to remember us; Wendy at front desk was our favorite. Lots of empty spaces around the hotel but parking lot was well-lit and we still felt safe. You should mention you are a visitor at the hospital; I think they gave us a discounted rate (it was just over $82 and website had said $100).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family