“Wonderful Fresh Crunchy and Tender White Bread”
Review of Monty's Subs

Monty's Subs
Ranked #105 of 491 Restaurants in Springfield
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The "Cuban":roast pork, ham, pickles, mustard, Swiss is what I had and Kathleen had the "Gobbler": piles of shaved turkey breast with Swiss. A four minute oven toast and relax; you can eat in or on the veranda. The startling moment was when the chef pushed the wrapped subs across the counter and said "Two organic tofu on veggie-burgers" with a poker face. I couldn't imagine how the mistake had been made... And then he said "Just kidding".

This is a big sandwich and it will slip over the teeth with or without drinks. You will get away for a great deal less than ten dollars in a relaxed atmosphere with lots of local patronage. Happy to have found Springfield's #1 sub outlet. Thanks.

1  Thank MissPriss234
There are newer reviews for Monty's Subs

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My sister lives in Springfield, IL, and put me on to Monty's Subs. I especially like their El Italiano. I like to get it with "sweet" bread, but had it with wheat this time and it was just as awesome. They go head-to-head with Head West in Springfield for the best subs in town...I've had both and my preference is Monty's. Have only been to the one on Sangamon Avenue...near the State Fair Grounds. If you go during tax season, you can't miss it...they have one of those Liberty Tax guys waving people into the stip mall. Monty's is a hole in the wall place. Can't seat more than 30 people I'd guess. But some of the best sub sandwiches I have ever eaten. And if you get TJ behind the counter, he's irreverent and I like it!!! He'll ask the next person in line: How can I be of disservice to you today?" or "How can I mess up your order today?" Adds a little local flavor to the place. So if you're in town doing the Lincoln things, head to Monty's Subs for a great lunch treat!

1  Thank DoubleEagleDave
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Monty's knows how to make a great sub. From all the toppings you can get to the soft and fresh bread it goes on-you can never lose. My husband loves the Gobbler and they pile it on high as my favorite is the mouth watering Cheesehead (best to get toasted) A+++ Monty's!

1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a Monty's~ Beefeater on wheat, loaded minus onions, add banana peppers, toasted, halved ~ (yes, that's how you order it) for lunch today. For about 6 bucks you get enough sandwich for two meals, on fresh in-house made bread, stuffed with goodness. You can take it to go, or eat it at a booth. (the picture at the top of these reviews is NOT Monty's.)

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Ordered the Italian on French bread. They stuff the sandwich. It's not like carnigues in NY stuffed but 4 times what the sub chains do. The only downfall was the bread wasn't crusty on the outside but that is a personal preference.
This will be a stop anytime I'm through Springfield.

1  Thank Stuart F