“Charming & Interesting with Good Conversation”

The Rippon-Kinsella House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
Ranked #2 of 4 Springfield B&B and Inns
Batavia, Illinois
“Charming & Interesting with Good Conversation”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was our first B & B experience and we were not disappointed or wanting in any request. We enjoyed Roger and Dave's company. The Captains quarters were comfortable and full of interest, as was the rest of the house. The furnishings were not lacking in history and stories. Roger's cooking was superb with memorable pineapple muffins from scratch. All in all, we felt at ease as we wandered about. As owners of a 100 + yr old house ourselves, we understand that there is always something needing an upgrade or some work in progress, hence the temporary scenario in the backyard which will become a series of interesting gardens and patios. An alarming sight to the uninitiated but to those who have vision, a paradise unfolding that you'd like to engage in. This is not a slick and sterile hotel. You will feel at home and want to stay longer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Nice and clean, with decorations on just about every surface. The innkeepers were very friendly and talkative, going out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. Be sure to go up to the front door (facing the street) when you arrive - we knocked on the back door first, but no one heard.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just returned this afternoon from spending the night in this beautiful Victorian house. We just live approx. 40 miles away, but my husband surprised me for a Valentine's evening away. When we arrived, Roger showed us our room and then brought cheese, crackers, homemade cookies and wine to us. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters. Loved the fireplace in the room and all the nautical themed decor. There are clear instructions in the bathroom to let the shower water run until it gets warm to start your shower - followed the directions and no problems at all. We enjoyed dinner at the Chesapeake House - one of our favorites. We were the only guests that night and the room was great - overlooked the street - very quiet - slept wonderfully. We chose 9am for our breakfast time - we did enjoy some fresh coffee when we first got up for the day. Breakfast was wonderful - Rogers cooking combined with the presentation of the food was a great way to start our day! My husband likes to snowshoe and walked to the Lincoln Tomb from here. It is close to downtown and lots of wonderful dining places and Lincoln sites. I would recommend this to anyone spending some time in Springfield!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rikkirn2
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have never written a negative review before but I must this time. The Rippon-Kinsella House looks nice on the outside, but the random flea market pictures that covered the walls of our room made for a bizarre interior. That I could tolerate, but the shower had so little water pressure it was hard to rinse soap off and impossible to wash hair. One of the innkeepers tried to fix it, but when he couldn't he insisted nothing was wrong with it. When I disagreed he had a temper tantrum -throwing down a towel, stomping out of the room and slamming the door HARD. Which left us feeling very uncomfortable, even unsafe. Old victorian houses can change from charming to creepy quickly after a display like that!!

Even tho all 6 guests were attending the same conference in the morning which started at 8:30, the innkeepers would not serve breakfast before 8 so none of us got a hot breakfast. My friend and I got fruit, some stale pound cake and 2 small bottles of water in a used paper bag.

Over the years I have probably stayed at 75 B&Bs and although some are quirky, the innkeepers care and try hard to assure their guests have a pleasant stay. The innkeepers at the Rippon- Kinsella House did not even try to be hospitable! One of them didn't even attempt disguise his hostility. They need to find another line of work. They are way beyond innkeeper burnout!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Bonnie B
bandboperator, Owner at The Rippon-Kinsella House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Wow, I really don't know where to begin with this one. Maybe I am burned out. But then I thought, no....I love the B&B business, talking with guests over breakfast or wine in the evening. I remember having a very bad day and then the phone ringing about 9:30 at night. We have operated the inn since 2007 and no one has ever complained about the water pressure in a shower. It's an 1871 building with plumbing that probably should be replaced as time and money allow, but it has always been adequate. I thought it might be clogged so I removed the shower head and tried to clean it out. As I recall the guest was quite demanding and was refusing to pay for the second night they had reserved. There was a religious convention in town that the guests were attending and we had turned away numerous requests for the room. Yes, I probably could have handled the situation better, but it was late at night, I was tired and what did she want me to do? I remember getting soaking wet and just dropping the towel, saying I was sorry but there wasn't anything I could do, but I didn't storm out of the room and slam the door. This is simply not true.

Also, she is wrong about not us not wanting to serve breakfast before 8:00 a.m. We said that if they wanted to leave real early at 6:00 a.m. we would give them some coffee and something to go, but we would have served them breakfast at 7 a.m. So now she insults us about the cake and coffee to go. This is obviously one of those kind of people who will never be pleased no matter what. It's true, experiences like this do make you want to get out of the business, but the other 99 out 100 guests make it worthwhile. I am sorry that this happened. Please read the other reviews about us before you make a decision.

Dave Ridenour
Co-Owner
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the RIppon-Kinsella House. It is a large, restored Victorian house with a lot of character. The location is excellent, just over a mile north of the downtown attractions, in a quiet residential neighborhood. Roger is a warm, friendly host and a gourmet cook. Roger cooks up some of the best B&B breakfast food we have experienced, complete with the presentation you would expect in a fancy restaurant. He even gave us a few cookies for the road when we left!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan A
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My mom and I stayed here for a getaway from Chicago for two nights. It was a nice walk from the amtrak station. The beauty of the building itself was quite a relief to see after the walk. The air was blasting to cool us down and Roger welcomed us with homemade ice tea, cheese and crackers after we settled into our room. Decor was almost how the Victorians once lived with every inch of the walls and furniture covered with interesting antiques. We discovered something new everytime we entered any room. House is old and rugged which added to the charm. We stayed in the Campaign Room with a great collection of old radios and TVs which added to the theme. Roger was very warm, and sat and talked with us while we ate breakfast- which was delicious and comforting. He had great suggestions of things to do and places to eat. We would stay here again if we ever made a visit or was simply passing through. It felt like staying at a relative's home. Roger: whenever you retire, we'll take over to continue your B&B legacy. Dont think we're kidding!!

• Stayed June 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Illinois for a family wedding. It was also our 12th wedding anniversary so we decided to visit Springfield, IL for some historic sight seeing and book a night at the Rippon-Kinsella House. We enjoy Bed and Breakfasts and were excited about staying at what is advertised as a beautiful house with such amenities as wine and cheese served every evening and full breakfast in the morning.
We pulled up and the front is pretty and as pictured on the website. In back, however it is in shambles. The back "garden" was torn up with piles of brick everywhere and debris. There was also a chain link fence with two dogs confined to a small dog run. The back porch was impassible because there was so much junk piled up.
We walked around front and checked. We wanted to drop our luggage and sight see. We refreshed in our bathroom which was NOT spic and span. The sink immediately filled up after hand washing because it wouldn't drain. The owner was not there when we left about 15 minutes later to report about the sink.
We came back around 6pm in order to take advantage of the wine and cheese that is "served every evening" to find the house empty. We tried calling the contact number we had and the phone only rang in the house. We waited around for about 45 minutes to see if the situation could be salvage but after it was clear that no one was going to show up and provide the promised ammenity we left.
The overall house is dark and not very clean. Between that and the lack of offered ammenities it was not worth staying. We were charged full price regardless of our efforts to contact the owner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple