“Lincoln's Tomb: So beautiful and emotional. His story is so sad...”
Review of Oak Ridge Cemetery

Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Lincoln's widow insisted the slain president be buried here, defying local leaders who wanted to erect a grand downtown memorial.
Kentucky
171 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Lincoln's Tomb: So beautiful and emotional. His story is so sad...”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

All I could think of when I visited Lincoln's tomb was the immense amount of respect I have for this man who came from nothing and became one of if not the most prolific and important leaders--and he did it honestly and with the people in mind. Everything about Abraham Lincoln makes me grieve that I did not live in his lifetime to experience his leadership and his quest for equality for America. Abraham Lincoln was a man who was not afraid to speak his mind during a time where bigotry and prejudice was everywhere and began a legendary battle that is still being fought today--the rights and equality of all Americans. It is definite that Lincoln's life ended too soon and I can only imagine what more he could have done for our country had he lived.

If you are in Springfield, PLEASE go and pay your respects to a man who helped build this country. The tomb he is forever placed in is so beautiful and is the only thing that could be acceptable to house such a wonderful leader. Lincoln is buried right behind his tombstone. The stone is surrounded in flags from the states he lived in and the American flag. A stirring tribute!

Also--it is important to note that while outside, on one of the informational tablets, we find out that Lincoln's last direct descendent die in 1985. What a sad ending to such a troubled family. :(

1 Thank KentuckyTravelBug80

Florissant, Missouri
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“a true Illinois gem”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Having grown up in Illinois, I have visited Lincoln's tomb many, many times. Each time I visit is awe inspiring. Lincoln was truly a great president. last time we visited, my husband and I pondered how the course of events in the USA, and even the world, would have changed had the union been divided. Also, the last time we were there, it just happened to be on the day of the annual Lincoln's Tomb ceremony, which is held on the Saturday closest to the anniversary of Lincoln's death (April 15). Reenactors come from all over the US to honor this great man, give a few speeches, and lay wreaths at the tomb. We were indeed fortunate to witness it. In recent months, I have found myself in Springfield doing some per-diem work and happen to be working less than a mile from his tomb. Every time I handle a $5 bill while I am there, I think about Lincoln and how he rests just a short distance away frm me. When possible, I drive through the cemetary on my way to work, just to say good morning to Abe and view the magnificent tomb Don't miss this site -- it is truly wonderful and awe inspiring.

2 Thank Christine G
Catersburg,IN
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“RIP”
Reviewed April 5, 2009

This is a touching place.

1 Thank Lipp2510
Wheaton, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Lots of History”
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My only mistake when visiting the cemetery was going on a day when it was rainy, windy, and about 50 degrees. I would suggest going on a day when the sun is out, and you can walk around, or drive, and explore the cemetery. There is a lot of history located not just in the Lincon Tomb (which is beautiful) but also around the whole cemetery.
The War Memorials are tucked away in a corner away from the rets of the cemetery and are worth a visit (again on a warmer day).
If you have the time, try to drive around the cemetery and explore the different areas. I did and was amazed to see the old headstones and monuments from the 1800s.

3 Thank ShefZ28
illinois
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Please be respectful when visiting here.”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Our experience was not that great due to a bunch of kids on a field trip who were not being supervised. They were rolling down the hills at the cemetary and very loud. They even have signs telling people to be respectful but this did not help. The man in charge of this group is responsible for allowing this group of kids to act that way. We thought about it later and feel we should have said something to the man in charge of this group. So please take control of your field trip group if attending here. Otherwise it is a very interesting place to visit.

3 Thank djbIllinois