“Delicious Meal”

Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Borgarnes
Cuisines: Scandinavian, Cafe, Fusion
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: In our restaurant we invite you to a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and good quality food at reasonable prices. The Settlement Center is located in one of Borgarnes oldest houses. Yet the restaurant is modern and newly refurbished with due respect to old times. The menu is a blend of traditional Icelandic cooking with international flavors to it. The Restaurant is open daily from 10am - 9pm
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I ordered the lobster salad which was delicious and full of fresh fruit. A great choice for a lighter meal. My husband had a burger which he also really enjoyed. The service was good but the meal was a bit expensive. This is a good place for a nice meal in Borgarnes and then you can go check out the museum after you eat.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

A great little museum providing an interesting insight into the Icelandic people, how they got there, their origins, their language and culture. Lots of fun interactive things to play with and really well informed staff who will tell you far more if you ask. (We particularly liked the tall ginger chap with an impressive moustache).

1  Thank Katie B
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The settlement centre is one of those unusual places in life. It looks from the outside like a small pair of converted houses or outbuildings, small and tucked away in the little town of Borgarnes. What they house is the gem. The museum is excellent, in such a small place you never imagine you could spend such an entertaining hour learning more about it.

The restaurant is excellent. bright, airy, smart and yet incredibly informal and relaxed with friendly service with a smile. The food was excellent, we had a huge portion of Ling fish, and a superbly tastey and tender Icelandic horse steak. now, putting some people's opinion of horse meat to one side, this was delicious and so well cooked. The menu had something for everyone.

Whilst the meal wasnt what most would consider to be cheap, I would definitely say that it was great value. One couple finished their desert and were allowed to do the museum tour, even though it was after hours...I think that would have been a delightful way to spend the evening!

1  Thank emmaandgary
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A history lesson in a nutshell, a bit expensive. The presentation was average but still we got an impression how Iceland was founded. We enjoyed the restaurant where we had a nice hot drink.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is the official story of the first Retkyavik settlers from Norway. It comprises mainly of the outline of the original Nordic Longhouse inits original location- now underground.

It's just one main exhibit, but interesting if you're a bit nerdy like me, who can't believe that anyone thought that settling in Iceland was a good idea. My 20 yr old daughter wasn't quite so captivated, but that's not reallly surprising.

There was fascinating (to me) information on the population, language, and heritage of the Icelandic people.

When I was there we were the only people in the museum so the attendant gave additional commentary, which was very helpful. It's only small (so don't expect the V&A) but it is well presented with a fair amount of Hi Tec visual aids.

Glad I went, even my daughter enjoyed it.

Can remember it vividly now I'm home, so I suppose that a sign of a good museum.