“Great Way to Learn the History of Iceland”

The Settlement Center
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Borgarnes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Offering a wealth of information, the Settlement Center provides a wonderful insight into Iceland’s history. It also gives you the chance to put your visit into the context of the country’s past. It also houses a cozy licensed restaurant, a café and a souvenir shop. The Center consists of three buildings, the warehouse, the merchant house and the reception hall. The exhibitions recreate the fascinating drama of the sagas and the birth of this island nation. They also bring to life one of Iceland’s most important cultural treasures, Egils Saga. There are two entertaining and educational exhibitions at the Settlement Center. While one tells the story of the first settlers, the other reveals the story of Iceland’s most important saga – Egils Saga. Egill Skalla-Grimson was a famous Viking and poet, and his saga is closely linked to the settlement period, as his father was one of the first settlers.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This was part of our tour and very interesting. Very well done. You can go at your own pace since you are given head sets to wear. The exhibits are very well done. Since it was part of our tour, I am unsure about the cost. The gift shop was excellent.

All reviews
"restaurant upstairs"
"just the right amount"
"soup"

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This is not a quick tourist stop. It is two parts about 30 minutes each. I liked the downstairs section better. It gives one a glimpse into the Icelandic Sagas. Do NOT try and fast forward the headsets at the individual stops or you will have to start at the very beginning. I made that mistake. Good stop as I just started my 16 day trip in Iceland.

1  Thank traveler7462
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was a multimedia experience par excellence. There is a compulsory head set which guides you first through a review of Iceland's settlement including a moving long boat prow to make you feel like you are crossing the ocean; then a separate head set gives you one of the Icelandic sagas. Great fun and very interesting.

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Sorry, I have a short attention span and I often don't remember half of what I see at museums...so I didn't go into the museum side. The restaurant was awesome! I loved the outside/inside seating section. My boyfriend had the lasagna and I had the Ling. Both were delicious... although I have to admit that I liked the lasagna a little better. The homemade bread was excellent too! Looking back, I wish we had stayed in Borgarnes for the night bc it was a neat little town.