“Wish i was there”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Neilson Retreat Beachclub
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great food, great views, lots of activities, lovely village nearby which is not far to walk to and the hill back is fine after a few beers, there is also a water taxi to and from resort if you dont fancy the walk. Staff very friendly, helpful and organised. Got my RYA2 in sailing but there wasnt much wind while i was there.

Room Tip: I had a room in the hotel part which is handy for food but a lot of steps from the beach
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tankgirl666
There are newer reviews for Neilson Retreat Beachclub

Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you are looking for an active family holiday with kids from babies to late teens then on balance you won't be disappointed. We were there for the last week of the season and I expect the refurbishment will make a great deal of difference. Neilson staff were excellent and as a stalwart of many Mark Warner Holidays then their helpfulness, attitude, energy and good humpur were a cut above MW IMO. The steps should be no problem for people who are going there to be active and my thighs were very toned by the end of the week! However there are a lot of them and there are no lifts at all. Mozzies rampant ( but I think end of season, chill damp air in the evenings brought them out for a feeding frenzy) - high season probably less of a problem. Beautiful setting and pool bar lovely for sitting out reading watching the view and as a central hub to meet others. My only gripe was the food - Unlike other reviewers I thought it was awful and not a patch on MW holidays. Sausage, pork in various manifestations and chicken kebabs predominated every lunch and evening -Salads ok though - Restaurants in town are good ( cheap as well) and the Steak house is fab as is the Italian next doorish - several others and as it is very easy to walk or get the fab boat taxi from the resport all the way in, if I went back I think I would eat out on more nights and sod the cost - Highlights included nicking some Kayaks and sneaking along the coast into town and eating lunch ( there is a legal organised tour too) - I was a bit shocked at the poor level of safety on the beach - no system to reliably tell who is on the water and due to the lovely islands it is very easy to be out of sight - Personally having seen how MW do it I think there is an accident waiting to happen here and have written to the Neilson management to inform them - However I would consider going back and I think the refurb if done well could make this an even more pleasant place to relax and get active - look forward to hearing the reviews from next season first

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank The_Doctor_MOC
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We've just returned from a weeks half term holiday at The Retreat. We weren't really sure what to expect as it was the very last week of the season - but I have to say it was fantastic and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Airport transfer smooth with water provided. We went to get lunch before checking in to our spotless room to avoid a crush at reception as there 5 coaches arriving at once. The activities were amazing. I waterskiied, sailed, kayaked, rode bikes and played tennis. I danced the night away to James the brilliant entertainer kept company by Georgie the (superfit) gym instructor, and got BCU qualified in kayaking from the brilliant Stuart and Calum. The coastal kayaking trips were stunning - it is SUCH a beautiful spot, if you love sunsets you'll be very happy. The kids clubs (Sharksters -Rosie and Carly) were brilliant they were always occupied and happy and even got their own drybags with bottle, cap and rash vest, I felt confident they were in safe hands at all times and the table tennis table was a total godsend!!!. The biyak trip is a must - bike to a lovely beach, then kayak back. Downsides, yes there are mosquitos but take repellent (I did and didn't get bitten), take your own beach towel, take a cheap £8 travel kettle, and buy water in the town for 70 cents a bottle - its a nice (if steep) walk down. BBQ night was good, food was ok to good (the main area for improvement in my opinion). Lots of people bought duty free and drank on their balcony as the bar prices are steep. Wifi free in reception. I didn't buy the week package otherwise I'd have been glued to my phone and missed out on all the amazing views and activities, I just went to reception for 30 mins each day, caught up on bits, then left! But as you are on tripadvisor reading all this you shouldn't be surprised and plan ahead for it. Yes there are lots of steps but they are renovating for next summer which will mean fewer steps but that is what makes this such a spectacularly beautiful hotel! All in all a brilliant break - we'll be going back next summer - 2 weeks this time!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Hotel rooms less steps and close to the free wifi in reception, also I'd say most have a stunnin...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank redhotpassport
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Could not fault this place. Beyond beautiful views, nice food, friendly staff,fantastic little harbour within walking distance or a water taxi away. Perfect tranquil retreat with the option of great biking, walking, running, swimming and gym classes. We had such a fantastic time we almost didn't come home!!

2  Thank nicola p
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Setting is very beautiful, we enjoyed all the activities, and the included meals were very good. As we were there for a fortnight, it was also good to be able to walk to the harbour and excellent restaurants (especially The Steak House).
Beware though that it is not good for anyone who can't do steps - 208 from the ski pontoon to our room at the top of the hill (most rooms were lower).
The main problem (really the only problem) was the ghastly taste of the tap water.
Overall, we loved our holiday and are looking forward to going back.

Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
4  Thank KandD2014
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in September. We were told the water was unfit to drink during our coach trip from the airport, and that water was available in our room, six bottles, but at a €5.50 extra. Then found out a kettle in the room was an extra €12. Plus €12 for a beach towel. Knowing the Manchester return flight was at 6 in the evening, they charged us an extra €25. Bar prices were very steep, and the wine on sale at €27 could be bought at the local shop for €7. Wiifi was available but at €35 for the week. The Greek themed night had Bon Jovi playing in the background, and no mosquito repellent was provided while eating leaving diners bitten all over. There was no thought put into the whole week, most of the staff were tired and just wanting to get back home after a "long" season. The food was a bland mix of some cheap local fresh, along with tinned fruits, reconstituted meats and long life milk, and the same white fried fish every day for lunch. The activities staff were great, and if it wasn't for these poorly paid individuals I would have took an early flight home. Typical corporate organization offering cheap rubbish at sky high prices. If booking, check you are happy to pay for all the extras and don't expect to much from the management, all talk and No action. A disappointing experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
7  Thank Luosjohn
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just back from our second holiday at The Retreat. Had a fantastic two weeks of cycling, playing tennis, kayaking and taking part in the various fitness classes on offer, yoga, pilates, abbs etc etc. Garden room overlooking the sea was lovely, food was plentiful. Thank you to all the staff who do a fantastic job.

2  Thank rebecca_597
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syvota
Domotel Agios Nikolaos
Mediterranean Blue Resort
Angelika Pallas
Angelika Pallas
#3 of 8 in Igoumenitsa

Been to Neilson Retreat Beachclub? Share your experiences!